PDA

View Full Version : Going from Citalopram to Sertraline (zoloft)

claireypoo
22-12-06, 19:58
Hi there
I wonder if anyone out there mught have experience with this or could help me?

I was prescribed 10mg Citalopram 4 months ago by my doctor but felt awful so reduced down to 5mg. I have been on 5mg ever since. Felt ok on that and using Claire weekes felt i was recovering well.

This changed when someone i was close to suddendly and tragically died. Since then i have been obsessing over my health almost constantly - anx really high.

I went back to my doctor and she said 5mg wasn't a proper dose and prescribed me Sertraline 50mg. She said to stop taking citalopram and go straight on to sertraline... i also asked for CBT on NHS only to be told a year wait....

Anyway I haven't changed meds yet - i thought i'd try without (i really don't like the thought of meds as you still have to come off em at some point) so yesterday and today went to 2.5mg instead. But I have been having tingly sensations in my head and face, is this cos i have reduced the dose?

I called a private CBT therapist today and found out each session is £25 not as much as I thought - still a bit of a struggle financially - but worth it if it works (as i've been told it does) so I'm going to do that.

My problem is med wise I don't know what to do... I'm not up for any unpleasant symptoms over xmas tho!!!
what do you think? Shall I :

a) Carry on cutting down citalopram and do CBT (put up with tingles and hope it doesn't get any worse)
b) Take the 5mg citalopram (the dose I have been taking for 4 months but still feel really anxious on) and do CBT
or
c) Do what doc says and switch from 5mg citalopram and go straight to 50mg sertraline and see how i am and still do CBT?

I'm sorry, I can't seem to make a decision these days and so in the spirit of "Who want's to be a millionaire" i'm opting for an ask the audience!!!

Plus anyones experiences of coming off citalopram or going on sertraline would be really really helpful

Thanks all - merry christmas
Claireypoo

Scorpi0
23-12-06, 00:53
Hi, I switched from paxil to Sertraline 50mg, and felt much better for doing it. I was afraid to switch but listened to my doc and did it and happy that I did, for the first 7 months I felt great! Only thing now is I do get bad lag aches but not sure yet if it is due to the Sertraline 50mg.
I would suggest you do as your doctor said and go right over to theSertraline 50mg. I take it only once a day, its a fairly low dose, but has work wonders for my anxiety/panic disorder.

Good Luck.

Scorp