PDA

View Full Version : difference between benzos?

shopmad
21-08-14, 22:37
Hi i'm currently on fluoxetine 40mg day to day and its helped alot with my breathing due to anxiety but when i was due to go on holiday several months ago i was struck with panic at the airport and couldnt go. i've flown many times befoe and been ok, i'm not scared of flying but more travelling and been away from home.

I thought i would try valium and see what effect it would have on me before i work up the courage to travel again. the dr gave me 2mg and told me to take 2. i have never took benzos before. i felt tired but not much less anxious.

so my question is do i need a higher dose or does valium just work by making you tired and what is the difference between all the other benzos?

yenool
22-08-14, 18:18
A higher dose might work but would probably make you more tired as well. 4mg is still a fairly low dose.

The benzos all work in a similar but slightly different way, if that makes sense. Some are longer acting and some are shorter acting. Some are used for insomnia because they make you more sleepy where as others are better for anxiety.

I find Ativan good for anxiety and it doesn't make me sleepy. However I have never tried Valium for anxiety so I can't compare the two really.

SarahH
24-08-14, 07:14
Yenool,

I think Ativan IS Valium........I am pretty sure its the same as Lorazepam:unsure:

Sarah

yenool
24-08-14, 08:02
Yenool,

I think Ativan IS Valium........I am pretty sure its the same as Lorazepam:unsure:

Sarah

Valium is the brand name for diazepam. Ativan is the brand name for lorazepam.

edit:
I should have just used the proper drug name in my first post because it can get confusing and even more so because in different countries some drugs have different brand names. For example Sertraline is also known as Lustral here in the UK, but as Zoloft on America.....