PDA

View Full Version : Feeling low about getting house/new job

phil06
22-08-14, 15:55
I have been applying for council house or housing associations for almost a year now with no luck. I recently added my girlfriends name to it and still had no luck.

Been applying for a job for 2 and a half years to get out the job I'm already on. Recently had my first interview of the year thought it went great and I never got it.

Feel really low as I try and move things along but stuck in this rut still living at home and can't find a better job. :weep:

Rennie1989
23-08-14, 18:05
Could you not save up for a deposit and rent privately instead?

lior
23-08-14, 18:35
Jobs and housing - difficult issues.

What kind of work are you in? Writing job applications online is a hard slog. They take ages to do, and they are thankless. You're so unlikely to get a job out of them because so many people are applying.

The way I have got work in the past is through networking and making friends with professional contacts. If they know you are looking for work, they will be more likely to let you know when there is work available that they know about, either in their workplace or outside of it.

It would also help if you are very clear about the particular bit of work you are really good at, and what you really enjoy. Showing that you are keen to work on some particular thing means that people are more likely to want to work with you and have you around.

phil06
23-08-14, 19:33
Could you not save up for a deposit and rent privately instead?

My hours at work just got cut back to 16 a week even with the other one I had paying that extra £100-£150 could be a struggle plus they can sell up anytime and you tend not to be able to decorate the house.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Jobs and housing - difficult issues.

What kind of work are you in? Writing job applications online is a hard slog. They take ages to do, and they are thankless. You're so unlikely to get a job out of them because so many people are applying.

The way I have got work in the past is through networking and making friends with professional contacts. If they know you are looking for work, they will be more likely to let you know when there is work available that they know about, either in their workplace or outside of it.

It would also help if you are very clear about the particular bit of work you are really good at, and what you really enjoy. Showing that you are keen to work on some particular thing means that people are more likely to want to work with you and have you around.

Im in retail. Spend hours on a cv even got an NVQ in retail I get interviews but nothing beyond that they prefer to hire students or already out of work as the wages are less for under 25 ect. Wish I could find a better career.

Rennie1989
23-08-14, 20:04
Most landlords allow you to redecorate as long as you return the property to its original state when you leave. Sure, landlords can sell us as and when they please, but the wait for a private property is much shorter than getting a council property. You need more points (based on your current conditions, like children, homelessness, disabilities etc) to even get a chance of getting a property any time soon, otherwise you can be on the waiting list for YEARS.

Why don't you see a careers adviser and see what route you might like to take?

phil06
23-08-14, 20:36
Most landlords allow you to redecorate as long as you return the property to its original state when you leave. Sure, landlords can sell us as and when they please, but the wait for a private property is much shorter than getting a council property. You need more points (based on your current conditions, like children, homelessness, disabilities etc) to even get a chance of getting a property any time soon, otherwise you can be on the waiting list for YEARS.

Why don't you see a careers adviser and see what route you might like to take?

See I've found some properties to buy at like £40,000 which is a cheap mortgage and I checked online the banks would lend maybe 35k some said 60k and they are ex council houses with two bedrooms some maybe less good bus links hence the price rather than 70k. I'm maybe looking at that.

Also private you can get one perfectly decorated for £400 here 1 bed or 2 bed but needs work done.

Obviously it's an option to look at both but my brother managed or get a housing association one and one of my friends got a council house so I shall hold out but it seems the less attractive areas have less bids.