PDA

View Full Version : Struggling at new job

Katey
22-08-14, 20:14
I'm back in work after 20 months off sick for depression and anxiety, but after 6 weeks in the job I am really finding it really hard to get back into being employed and dealing with lots of people daily. I just feel like giving in and running away from everything. I feel like I'm coming across really poorly to my coworkers because of my anxiety which is making it harder and dread going in each morning.

I was on pregabalin(lyrica) for anxiety a while back but came off it because of side-effects. I want to go back on something though and was wondering what other people have found effective for treating their anxiety? I'm already on mirtazapine for depression but not finding it helps much for anxiety.

aprilmoon
22-08-14, 20:51
Hi
I'm didn't find Mirt to be very good for anxiety either,but have been much better since i had a sml amount of Olanzapine as an add on.
Its actually an anti psychotic, but in very small doses its excellent for anxiety symptoms.
That's been my experience anyway.:)

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-14, 04:20
Have you considering learning Mindfulness meditation? It can help you relax, control your thoughts, be more accepting of yourself & others, etc. Its common to question others views of you, and most of the time they don't even realise there is an issue as they are wrapped up in their own issues or don't understand what anxiety disorders are, and Mindfulness may help you with this if you spend time learning it because it's not a quick fix like relaxation techniques can be.

Once you learn it, you can do it in minutes, anywhere.

jcd_gad
27-08-14, 01:00
Hi,

I can relate to this...

I left a job after been told that I would be made redundant shortly. I moved to another job further away. I was ok to start with but then I kept putting things off because I lacked the confidence to deal with it.

My Dr not long after I started increased my medication (Venlafaxine).

I broke down in tears after been told that they were concerned about my timekeeping. I explained my situation and went through the whole history with my boss. I explained that I will be in the next day a little late as I'm going to the gym (part of my discussion with Dr) .

The next day I was pulled to one side because of my timekeeping (10 mins late). I was expected to produce daily reports what I was doing. In short I left feeling victimised and bullied. To the point where I was too scared to work.

I'm glad I left the place and will spend time getting myself right, and the right job for me to move into next.

Poppy555
27-08-14, 08:30
Hi Katey. So sorry to hear of your struggle. Terry has given (as he always does) such brilliant advice and I definitely think you should try Mindfulness (I myself am about to give this a try as it has such high success rates). Another suggestion I have is (if you have a garden) could you possible spend a little while out in your garden in the morning before going to work. Perhaps plan any new plants you may buy. A combination of the fresh air and having plans in your mind might help. Also you wont then be going straight from waking up (in a low mood) to going to work? Another suggestion.... Is there a colleague that you could find a common interest with? Hobbies, pets, favourite places to visit perhaps. I often have anxiety for the first hour or so at work in the mornings and I feel better so much quicker if I chat to colleagues about day to day things rather than sitting in silence and dwelling on my feelings). Be proud of the 6 weeks you have got through. Hang on in there - you have a lot of people rooting for you !! Hugs xx

anneyauster
02-09-14, 13:04
That happen at starting.

Josh21
16-09-14, 19:54
Maybe telling your boss about your depression and anxiety may decrease your anxiety in the workplace. If someone else is there who knows and can support you when you are having a bad time it may make you feel better.
You probably aren't coming across as badly to your co-workers as you think, and if they do have their concerns they will more likely me concerned as to hwo you are rather than judge you for it.