PDA

View Full Version : Smelling things that aren't there

Avasmummy_x
22-08-14, 21:45
Ok I am paranoid enough that I have a brain tumour with all the symptoms I've been dealing with over the past few weeks. ( lightheaded, headaches, brain fog, eye pressure and the occasional bad blurred vision ) but now I've just smelt bacon out of nowhere it's 10pm at night I don't even have bacon in. It went after a few mins I've had this before about 2months ago but now I've learnt this can be another warning sign for a tumour I am stressing, I've got an appt with a neurologist on the 13th sept as my doc wants me to have a scan to rule out anything nasty anyway but I feel like that's soooo far away!!! Anyone else experienced this???

Serenity1990
22-08-14, 22:34
Yeah I get this every now and then, always have (not bacon but other smells). I don't even think it's an anxiety thing, I think everyone gets it. :)

Avasmummy_x
22-08-14, 22:43
Yeah I've experienced it before the smell was bacon also! Although then I didn't know this is actually a symptom that can indicate something very wrong hence why I'm in a bit of a state.

Ruby13
22-08-14, 22:57
Yes, I get this too, usually the smell of the small cigars my late father occasionally smoked. I feel sure lots of people get this and is nothing to worry about.

anthrokid
23-08-14, 00:48
What you're describing can be due to a number of different things, not just a tumour. I imagine that what you're describing is an 'olfactory hallucination', more specifically 'phantosmia' - the perception of smell in the absence of any odours. Interestingly, research has reported an association of this with mood disorders, and some research has found that these sensations have subsided after treatment for depression. Other research suggests that it might be related to medications. It can also just simply be random - your brain may just be sending signals that you are smelling something when you aren't. As serenity said, most people probably experience this at least once in their life.

It's also important to consider that this has only happened twice :) AND you have a neurologist appointment in less than a month. They will be the perfect person to chat with about this and get some reassurance.

Loubylou1982
23-08-14, 02:37
I get lightheaded and headaches when I have migraines or sinusitis. Ibuprofen normally relieves my symptoms. They've calmed down a lot since I stopped cows milk and gluten funnily enough. Oh and wearing my glasses!

Not saying you should give up those I just saying how I had those symptoms a lot and it wasn't a tumour

Serenity1990
23-08-14, 08:18
Good luck for 13th Sept. Brain tumours really are incredibly rare, and on the most part they create more worrisome symptoms than what you're describing. Brain tumours are one of the handful of illnesses that people on here tend to fear at some point as the list of symptoms to the untrained eye can look very similar to anxiety symptoms.

Avasmummy_x
23-08-14, 10:19
Thanks everyone. I think I'm just looking for more symptoms. I've had them for nearly 3weeks constant now and I think I'd feel a lot better if they came and go. I just feel like a ticking time bomb waiting for a seizure or something sinister to happen.

sophiethestar
23-08-14, 13:34
When I was younger I used to go through phases where I could just smell one thing. I remember only being able to smell the smell of mashed potatoes for two weeks. Sometimes I think our bodies like to play tricks on us. I've heard quite a few people on here saying they had this symptom, so I assume it's pretty common with anxiety. Don't worry. :)

Fishmanpa
23-08-14, 13:41
The only time I've experienced something like this was when I was into body building. When you exercise hard, you sometimes notice an ammonia smell. This is due to the breakdown of proteins in your body as you use energy.

On a lighter note, a SBD fart is VERY real even though you can't see it or hear it happen! :D

Positive thoughts

cattia
23-08-14, 19:58
I have also had this a number of times over the years. For me it comes in phases and I will have it several times over a few weeks then nothing for years. I believe in my case it does coincide with high anxiety and I also have a lot of sinus issues. I usually get this at night only but I am fully awake when it happens and the smells are very real and vivid. It's been probably a good couple of years since this last happened to me and I'm still here but I remember freaking out about it in the past when I read about the tumour link too.