PDA

View Full Version : Can't breathe during sleep? Throat relax?

MidnightCalm
23-08-14, 04:43
I just woke myself up unable to breathe... I was asleep on my back which is a position I never like to sleep in because it always causes me problems but in my my dream I was just doing normal stuff and then I suddenly couldn't breathe, I then became half awake and could hear my own breathing, I was struggling and it sounded very laboured, and my throat was very relaxed. If you try to relax your throat now and kind of let your chin drop an stuff and your reaching goes very bad, like that. I literally feel like if I hadn't forced myself awake I would have died in my sleep. I feel scared to go back to sleep now. I woke up sweating and clammy and weird tastevin my mouth from it. I also woke up with as acid though too Wich I seem to be getting a lot lately.
I don't eat to google but I really think I've read about this throat relaxing and people dying from it before.
:(((

---------- Post added at 04:43 ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 ----------

Also a lot of nights I wake up gasping but that's because I feel I have just stopped breathing and this can happen a few times throughout the night. But I've always just thought that's anxiety or something like that and I got a little used to it and people have come to expect it from sleeping in a bed with me.
But this time with the breathing feeling obstructed it felt scarier than it just stopping and me jumping up. Whih I know sounds weird. Very scared. Could it be the acid???

anthrokid
23-08-14, 06:56
Hi midnight,

This is something worth speaking with your GP about if you are worried about it. It may be as simple as having panic attacks in your sleep (sounds crazy but absolutely possible). It may also be that you are having restless sleep and moving around a lot which causes your breathing to be more laboured. Depending on your weight range, it may also be something called sleep apnoea. Sometimes if there is a bit of extra weight around your throat it can make breathing seem more difficult during sleep, particularly when lying on your back. It isn't something anyone here can tell you for certain, but a doctor would be able to help you figure out what you are feeling in your sleep and how best to manage it :)

MidnightCalm
23-08-14, 14:35
Well I know it's not my weight I think I'm slightly underweight.
I've asked people and they say I breathe very heavily in my sleep. I do get panicky dreams but I can't tell if they come first or if the breathing problem in real life comes first.
It is the first time I've had that breathing thing though but it is probably the first time in a long time I've slept on my back.
I'm scared to ever bring anything up with my gp, so many things I avoid telling them.
It was just a scary experience. It just felt like pressure on my neck or as it my throat had something obstructing my breathing. But I was breathing fine when I was awake, perfectly clear. Maybe I do have sleep apnea I've thougt about it before, I hope it's not deadly.

anthrokid
24-08-14, 01:19
Well it's pretty unlikely to be sleep apnoea if you are underweight :) If your breathing was fine and clear when you were awake, it's likely that your body just entered a stage of panic in your sleep due to the normal internal changes that occur whilst you are sleeping. Sometimes with anxiety your body interprets normal sensations as something scary because it is always on 'high alert'. Like I said, if it's something you are really concerned about speak with your GP. There's no need to be scared of bringing it up :) if anything, you'll feel better afterwards because they'll be able to give you a good explanation of what you are experiencing and why, and may even be able to give you some advice on stopping it ;)

Amylee1982
14-10-14, 11:21
Hi

You mention acid...it could be that in your sleep the acid is going up your throat and as nowhere to go so its kinda chockin you...maybe try sleeping with pillars higher up...x