PDA

View Full Version : does any one feel sertaline makes them feel emotionless

trish1955
23-08-14, 11:15
I was sat in my bedroom and felt emotionless just now few weeks ago I could cry at anything and over the years there as been times I have needed to sit and have a good cry about something or other but right now I feel I couldn't cry if I wanted to which the strange thing is I do feel like I want to but can't in am not sure I like the feeling hope I don't stay like this or I will back of from the medication I mean I like being a kind carrying person who as a.lot of emotions for others I don't want this to change. I don't want to be a sour face person lolxxx

teej
23-08-14, 20:37
Sorry you've not had many replies. I felt like this when I took SSRIs. In some ways it was a blessing, in others a curse.

I don't think you'll be a sour faced person. Clearly you've gone through some trauma to be on SSRIs in the first place so I think it might be part of the rite of passage to your cure.

Having been on Mirtazapine for some months I'm actually unbelievably missing that emotional numbness from the SSRIs and pondering taking a small dose of Citalopram to block out some of the over-emotional states I'm encountering.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want / need someone to talk at length. I've been there / done that / got the t-shirt.

T

SarahH
24-08-14, 07:09
Trish,

ALL AD's are partly supposed to make you feel a little emotionless. It's so that your brain can heal from you illness naturally. Some people (like me) will always have "something" missing in the brain and so will take meds for the rest of their lives. I would rather feel a little numb than how I feel without meds. It's the balance you have to get right.

Sarah

trish1955
24-08-14, 12:18
How do you no if you have something missing in your brain I just don't want it to change some o who I am that's all I life,e being a carer I don't mind a little worry here and there they natural in am sertaline and I started off two weeks at 12.5 and just done a week at 25 upping it tomorrow 37.5 then the full 50 hope the side effects stay low I ave had them but so far only took to Diazpam and only got two left. They WO t give me no more they gave me propanal but been to scared to try it as diazi I took before or though she said propanl will only do wat Diaz does any way thanks for reply how are you doing. These days xx

Corona89
24-08-14, 20:38
They did for me. I was on 150mg Sertraline (been on and off them a few times). I feel better the first few months then i just felt nothing. I stopped taking them, felt better but then felt worse with depression again. It's a hard choice, i'm staying off them for now but feel i may have to go back on them soon.

trish1955
24-08-14, 22:50
They did for me. I was on 150mg Sertraline (been on and off them a few times). I feel better the first few months then i just felt nothing. I stopped taking them, felt better but then felt worse with depression again. It's a hard choice, i'm staying off them for now but feel i may have to go back on them soon.

So you take them for depression my main prob is anxiety I be been depressed but its because if my anxiety and agoraphobia I hope they work for me cuts don't want to have to suffer withdrawal then side effects of going back on them XXX

mermaid
25-09-14, 14:26
I have just stopped citalopram and started sertraline a week ago. I feel strange and sort of emotionless which is not me at all! Fells like everything slowing down and subdued rather than my usual anxiety state.
I also worry that I may change into a different person. This illness is so hard to deal with.

Mermaid

MrAndy
25-09-14, 14:41
I have just stopped citalopram and started sertraline a week ago. I feel strange and sort of emotionless which is not me at all! Fells like everything slowing down and subdued rather than my usual anxiety state.
I also worry that I may change into a different person. This illness is so hard to deal with.

Mermaid
Mermaid I have been on cit and thought it was a horrible drug I then tried sert and it was much better,low start up and side effects,it was also really easy to get off
Surely a little emotional blunting could be a good thing when we are in this high state of anxiety ? It cant change you into a different person :)

mermaid
25-09-14, 15:08
Hi MrA

You're quite right it's just me trying to cope with the change from over 7 years of cit to sertraline. I was having a major blip due to work pressures and doc suggested the change. Think fear has come into it

Mermaid

penguinbop
25-09-14, 17:03
After taking sertraline for about 3 months i realized i had become emotionless, I started to behave differently, I didn't care for people like i did before and had very little interests in people or others feelings, I began to not care or notice when others were unhappy which is very different from my normal personality. i ended up not taking sertraline anymore because of this, and switched to a med which didn't affect me so much. Some meds affect people in different ways, you just gotta find the right one for you.

SADnomore
25-09-14, 18:58
I agree with most points mentioned. After several months on sertraline, I was listening to someone who was expressing very sad feelings in an honest way, and realized I had no felt emotions as she spoke. Literally, a part of my brain was signaling that as a caring person (which I am), I should be relating to her feelings, but I really was not. Normally I would have had tears in my eyes but I wasn't moved at all. Completely detached, emotionally! Right then I knew there was something wrong. Not long after that I realized I had not felt joy, either, for a long time. It was good to escape the depression I had felt before sertraline, but not at the expense of feeling joy, and other important emotions. I came off them on a schedule and had just a few lagging withdrawal symptoms which did go away in time. Able to manage them fine once I knew what they were from.

I am now on Effexor, which still allows me the full range of emotions even after several months, and two increases. It is not strictly an Ssri, but rather an Snri. Maybe do a bit of research and then talk to your doctor about a switch? The only caution I have about Effexor is that if you plan only a short term treatment then you should likely consider something else because the withdrawal is more pronounced.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :hugs:

MrAndy
25-09-14, 19:50
Hi MrA

You're quite right it's just me trying to cope with the change from over 7 years of cit to sertraline. I was having a major blip due to work pressures and doc suggested the change. Think fear has come into it

Mermaid
Mermaid try and get your work pressure sorted,it's not worth getting ill over
I've been there and ended up in hospital

Magic
26-09-14, 18:35
I had the same experience as trish while taking sertraline.
I think it depends on the individual how it effects them.
My GP keeps trying me on different antidepressants. I don't ask for
them.. I find I can cope without them at this moment in time.x

aprilmoon
26-09-14, 19:13
I'm tapering down on my meds for the same reason.
My emotions just feel blunted.
Not Sertraline though.
Venlafaxine and Mirt.

biggerthanmybody
13-05-15, 20:20
Yes, slightly. I rarely ever cried while on it and all my emotions felt a bit "blunted". However after years of anxiety, worry, panic attacks, etc it was a welcome relief. I'm off it now and constantly feel nervous, anxious, and panicky and miss the blunted emotion feeling! It wasn't like I was a robot or anything, but the edge was taken off all the bad emotions I'd had and I could process them without feeling panicked or anxious over them.