PDA

View Full Version : To Med or not To Med

Deanosbeano
23-08-14, 16:19
Hi all ,
Seeking a bit of advice really , I am a total noob in the anxiety and depression field and would like to ask thoughts about the benefit vs the cons of taking prescribed medicine in conjunction with the following history of my story .

6 months ago I had a bad virus and was laid up in bed for 1 week , this was the first time in my 20 years in employment I had ever been laid up with propper man flu (no the mythical version)

I went back to work possibly earlier than I should and this was probably a strengthened case because within 2 hours of being back at work I was overcome by a bright kaliedoscope light in the corner of my right eye with time it movedd across my eye and everything to the right of it was blurred.
My self preservation kicked in and I did as I have always done , ran to the nearest water closet and dowsed my head with cold water , relaxed and drove home straight to my own bed.
At this time I shrugged it off after reading about ocular migraines and the virus I had the previous week being known culprits for my experience .
Over the next six months I had without knowing become depressed about work and extremely anxious , I say without knowing because the effects where not obvious , ive always been a yoyo in my moods either way up or way down with the odd occasion of a good old cry .

On Monday last week I was talking to a colleague when all of a sudden this feeling struck me right on the top of my head , it felt like that buzz when your really tired and your eyes are closing and you aint gonna stop it , however this was different , it wasnt the eyes it wasnt sleep nor did I feel sleepy , this was just that numbness in the top of my scalp , I put my hands on my head and ducked in shock , then I made some stuoid excuse and exited the room and worried myself stupid , brain tumour , blood poisoning I had it all .

So these feelings where now happening every hour and more intense and the self diagnosis was getting more and more dire, but worse was to come , I was scheduled to drive 60 miles to a meeting of senior directors on Tuesday and I was frightening my self to oblivion thinking what if this head clamp happens when im speaking , well it didnt wait till I spoke , I willed it to happen , I made myself believe I was going to faint in front of all these people and I was going to be embarrased , the first wave came and I managed to get through it by fidgeting and grimacing , the second one came 10 minutes later, this one was no worse but my mind made sure I got up and excused myself to the toilet because I was going to faint there and then .

I went to the toilet and my self preservation kicked in I wet my head through with cold water and realised there was no towels , this made it worse but I didnt think straight , the lack of towels had taken my mind off the anxiety so I felt a kind of worry I could handle , went straight back tothe boardroom hair wet through looking like Elvis and sat down , everyone looking at me started off anothere anxiety attack , I stood up and said , I am in a bad way and need to goto the Drs I will report back as soon as. I am laughing my head off writitng this but its not funny I respect that please feel free to laugh at my elvis impression too :)

Soooo heres the advice seek part, I rang the Drs and told the receptionist my symptoms , she said the Dr will ring me in 1 hour after surgery and she will book me a full apointment for the next day . I had the chat with the doc , he went through the stroke questions and said dont panic ........... come in tomorrow we will do some bloods and have a chat .
I went for those blood's and that chat and in respect of any blood results I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression , from the very moment the DR did the questionnaires and relayed he had done the bloods only out of routine and that he expected nothing to come back , the anxiety is gone because I know its not cancer et al and I am blo king out the crap, however the little buzzy feeling is still taunting me albeit about a 3 in strenght where as mondays was 8.
Should I continue to self cope and manage this little buzz in the head thats now about every 3 hours or is it known that trying to get rid of that buzz without medication leads to worsening ?

My fear is the little buzz will catch me off guard and an anxiety attack will creeep in

Many thanks in advance and I apologise for my grammar et al im on a new machine lol

P.S I understand this is all subjective , im really seeking people who have experience of being in the same pos and whether after month or so they had wished they had took meds or even people who decided like I have so far to shrug my shoulders at the buzz and did they get through ok

Ruby13
23-08-14, 16:33
Hello Deanosbeano, first of all, thNk you for being so candid and I did not laugh re your Elvis impersonation, I think you were very brave going bCk into your meeting.

Your GP sounds so caring, I should go back there and discuss these buzzing sounds and ask for advice re medication. Meds are great for helping you through the anxiety.

I am sure others in the group will have good advice for you too. :hugs:

Deanosbeano
23-08-14, 16:52
Hi Ruby
Thanks for reading and your input , I will definitely be seeing the Dr next week but as ive never taken meds I was looking for personal experiences as an extra guide .

Cheers much appreciated , im going back to work monday , maybe ill be ok maybe not butat least I wont be doing an elvis this time :) .

Sunflower2
23-08-14, 18:15
Hi deanosbeano, I suffer from panic attacks which started a few years ago but I have never taken any medication for them. I took ages to get help for them though so by that point I was getting to the point of becoming housebound (which is not easy when doing a university course and having to drive to uni!) but I was offered cbt therapy which helps you understand why you're experiencing a surge in anxiety and also what to do to calm it down. So it's really taking the fear out of them and then they no longer happen or you can control them if they do. That's just my experience in getting to grips with panic attacks because I have a phobia about taking medication - but they do help a lot of people who aren't big babies like me!
You've done the right thing catching this so early, it's given you a really good chance to get over this before it affects your life any more!

Deanosbeano
23-08-14, 19:25
Hiya Kimberley
Thanks for the reply , I really appreciate it I feel so fortunate that this site was available to me so early and has undoubtedly helped me supress those attacks at the point past the buzz in the head where I was applying medical horrors to the cause within seconds of it happening and then the cold sweats and dizzyness kicked in .
I havent had a buzz attack since writing that first post above so im hoping that my acceptance of not dying from xyz and that I have good reason to have been depressed and low without knowing will allow me to recover without medication and CBT , but in case that buzz and forlorn feeling comes back next week at work I want to make some quick desicions based on others experience .

Thanks agian I appreciate it

Zoecat
23-08-14, 21:03
Hi, its really hard to advise someone if they should take meds or not, especially if they haven't had them before. It also depends on how much of impact the anxiety is having on your life daily life now. I think this is something you probably want to monitor along with your doctor, and have a chat with him/her about it. Therapy would also be a good option, to try and help you understand and manage your anxiety, there are other therapies around, CBT is just one. Therapy can be quite useful even you are not depressed! I have had panic attacks in the past, though I didn't have your particular symptoms, I had different ones. I have found meds and therapy useful for myself but I have had a long history of general anxiety and depression: the panic attacks were quite short-lived, and I'm not sure I would have taken medication for them soley. I know how scarey they can be though, along with general anxiety and depression symptoms. It's great that you keeping your sense of humour, and I wish you all the best with your decisions.

Deanosbeano
23-08-14, 22:13
Hiya ZoeCat
Thanks for the reply , its much apreciated and i agree its all very Subjective and hard to specifically answer the Yes or No , however just the advice and experience of others alone makes things easier ,so its appreciated very much.
CBT is probably a good thing for me , however right now im not sure if i am strong enough and thinking any Digression would spark some serious lows and maybe i`m scared they wont be so easy to overcome as the mental and physical problems i have had since Monday , of course it could be by blocking those lows out or more accurately simply not accepting they were/are low periods is the reason im depressed and anxious .
its all a very complicated and wicked web thats woven isnt it :).

I went for a £30 1 hour aromatherapy massage earlier and that helped a hell of a lot , the masseuse was a Talker which was great because i feared if i was silent for an hour my mind may have had too much time to digress .

I recommend a good massage to relax and if you live near a college , you can get one of the students in training for £20 or less , unfortunately i moved to a place where there is no college , damn :)