PDA

View Full Version : Pseudomyxoma Peritonei cancer scare? :(

whiteformula98
23-08-14, 17:15
I've been dealing with Health Anxiety for almost 2 years now. It wasn't until about 14 months that I started having my stomach/digestive symptoms. I have experienced random aches and pains in my stomach as well as bloating and fullness. My stool has been solid throughout this stomach bout duration with some constipation. My doctor believes it to be GERD related. The scare I have is that my father had passed away from complications due to this cancer and I am afraid that I may have it. There isn't much information on it because it is rather rare, but in terms of it being hereditary....below is all that I could find on it. Any thought?

Sunday, May 23, 2010 Dr Brian Loggie Answers "Is PMP Hereditary?"
Dr. Brian Loggie Answers Questions: Is “PMP” Hereditary?
Brian W. Loggie, MD, CM, FRCSC, FACS is a Professor of Surgery and is Chief, Division of Surgical Oncology and Director, Cancer Biology Program at Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, NE.
Dr. Loggie’s expertise includes the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis, peritoneal mesothelioma, pseudomyxoma peritonei and all peritoneal surface malignancies, abdominopelvic and retroperitoneal sarcomas, cutaneous malignant melanoma, sphincter-preserving treatment for rectal tumors, and management of complex primary or recurrent solid tumors.
Dr. Loggie recently answered questions presented by members of the PMP Pals' Network who are concerned about the possibility of hereditary or environmental factors that may possibly be associated with Appendix Cancer/Pseudomyxoma Peritonei.

Is there any evidence that appendiceal cancer/Pseudomyxoma Peritonei, is a hereditary or familial disease?
“We have investigated this issue closely here at Creighton University School of Medicine.Dr Henry Lynch, for whom Lynch Syndrome (familial colorectal cancer) was named, is a colleague and is Chair of Preventive Medicine here in our Hereditary Cancer Center.
To our surprise, we have NOT found a familial association for appendix neoplasms and Pseudomyxoma Peritonei. In fact, we have seen a rate of “familiality” (family history of colon or appendix tumors suggesting an inherited pattern in the family) that is less than expected by one fifth (based on risk from right sided colon cancer: about 1% versus 5%). Overall, I think this is good news for families!”

Serenity1990
23-08-14, 19:27
Great news, it isn't hereditary so you can stop worrying.

It's commonly the case that things are thought to be hereditary but turn out not to be. For example it mig be the case that if parent has something their child has an x% greater chance of getting it at some stage, which to the untrained eye can look like a genetic susceptibility. However if you know anything about statistics you'll know that correlation tells you nothing - it's the conditional differential that counts. If you think about it families tend to have an awful lot in common: vaguely the same diet, they live locally to one another, they are likely to be of a similar social class and do similar jobs. For this reason once you account for all these other factors it turns out that diseases that for decades were thought to be hereditary simply aren't.

whiteformula98
23-08-14, 19:35
That was an excellent post. Thanks for the input

RoseEve
24-08-14, 03:12
Couldn't agree with serenity more they believe the same thing is true of certain skin cancers.

whiteformula98
24-08-14, 17:53
Are you talking more along the lines of cancer? I know that diseases like ALS for instance are definitely hereditary.

RoseEve
24-08-14, 23:07
Yes