PDA

View Full Version : Ferrous sulphate

dizzy1
25-08-14, 01:24
Hi.
I'm a 27 year old female who has suffered from anxiety for a few years now. I have ibs and have just been told by the doctor that I am anemic. I never asked how anemic I was, he prescribed me ferrous sulphate 325mg. I'm only on my second day of taking them and I feel awful. Odd symptom but my face feels hot? I have the usual symptoms of discomfort that iron tablets give you. What I am now worried about is what if I am overdosing on iron? I know it's a silly question but I have read some horror stories about taking too much iron. What if my doctor has prescribed me too much iron? Is 325mg a day a lot in general? Any responses are appreciated :weep:

Catherine S
25-08-14, 02:02
Assuming your doctor took a blood test to determine your anaemia and if so he would know the blood count and from this he would know how much iron your system needs. I would say trust him on this. Symptom wise...your hot face could be because of your improved red blood cells now flowing around due to the increased iron.

ISB x

Fishmanpa
25-08-14, 02:06
325mg is a pretty standard dose for iron deficiency. Stomach upset is a pretty common side effect.

Positive thoughts

dizzy1
25-08-14, 10:41
Thanks guys. Yes I had a blood test, but I don't trust the doctor's dosage :( I don't really get any iron in my diet as my ibs just doesn't agree with many nutritious foods. Sucks really

Fishmanpa
25-08-14, 13:09
From an FDA website:

Usual Adult Dose for Iron Deficiency Anemia

Initial: 300 to 325 mg of regular-release ferrous sulfate orally once a day.

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
25-08-14, 13:33
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.