PDA

View Full Version : Ebola

Ats666
25-08-14, 02:25
I can't sleep, this fear of the Ebola virus has sent my anxiety sky high. Trying to think rationally but now they have brought an unfected patient back to the uk I can't stop panicking! How can I stop these fears? :(

MyNameIsTerry
25-08-14, 05:33
You need to remember that they know about that person, it was an aid worker I believe and they will be ensuring that there is no spread of the virus from there. That is a certainty.

You also need to remember that newspapers and the media love the sensationalise things. They often don't report the facts very well because we are talking about countries that are not very well educated on the spread of infection hence they experience outbreaks of various viruses whereas in developed countries we are much more educated about these issues and we have a full support system in place stopping this reaching us.

Write it down and then write next to it why it can't happen. Keep doing that and reading it back until you start to believe it. It's a CBT technique, if memory serves me, it's a thought diary. You state an issue that is worrying you and then to rationalise by listed why it can't affect you.

alaskantiffy
25-08-14, 06:33
Hey. I am in the medical field, in school at least. Hopefully this helps a bit. The reason ebola is affecting those countries so bad is due to a lack of being able to control the spread. Most countries do have the capability of controlling an out break. Also, people with ebola are not contagious until they are vomiting and bleeding profusely. That being said, as long as you keep away from those who look like zombies you should be okay. There is a higher likely hood of you getting killed by a coconut. I agree with the person above. If you tell yourself it enough, you will begin to know it.

Ats666
25-08-14, 08:48
Thanks for your replies it really helps x