PDA

View Full Version : mindfullness

trish1955
25-08-14, 12:42
Were can I down load or find out more about minfullness x

PanchoGoz
25-08-14, 14:19
To state the obvious, google? There are too many resources to speak of if you have a massive research sesh? I found out about it from the mindfulness cbt4panic book then listened so some stuff on youtube from Jon Kabat Zinn. Scour the internet and find the explanation you understand best, there's too many websites to mention.

MyNameIsTerry
26-08-14, 04:22
Have a look at the threads on the therapy board as there are several threads about this with links to Jon Kabat-Zinn, Professor Mark Williams and Headspace.

Kabat-Zinn has books on Mindfulness Based Stress Relief (MBSR) and Professor Williams has books on Mindful Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) which came after MBSR. I know that the MBCT is NICE recommended for depression, probably will be for anxiety in the future, has an 8 week structure, combines CBT's goal setting with Mindfulness meditations (a different one per week) and BeMindful (Mental Health Foundation) has more information if you Google them which includes some videos of Professor Williams.

Mindfulness is generally sold as a meditative practice, but thats just one way you do it. If you read the MBCT books, its all about getting yourself in BEING mode more than the constant DOING mode an anxiety sufferer ends up in (the cycle of needing to find answers, do things for it, etc). In Mindfulness you can do it eating, walking, with exercise, there is Tai Chi & Qi Gong which are forms of movement based Mindfulness, etc. The idea being that you apply it to as many activities as you can so that it becomes a life skill.

Stick with it though, it can take time to learn. The MBCT format may help more with this than say a static one track meditation process which I found a bit teduous after months at it.

trish1955
26-08-14, 11:30
Thanks guys and terry I am a very impatient learner so don't no if I can make it work aye but I will take a look into it xx

MyNameIsTerry
27-08-14, 02:43
It's worth it Trish.

I would say that its best to start with a guided format but if you can understand what you have to do, you can do it throughout the day with objects as well as in meditation form and that will speed it up. Mark Williams first exercise is a raisin eating one which introduces you to what you have to do to be Mindful. Truly getting it from there is what takes the practice.

I typed up the raisin exercise from one of Mark Williams books on this thread, which might give you an understanding of how you would be approaching things with Mindfulness:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=152764&page=2&highlight=raisin