PDA

View Full Version : low HDL & coronary artery disease fear

sidsuae
26-08-14, 14:33
I am male 46 years old, having mitral valve prolapse with trivial regurgitation. Two week before I did my Lipid profile test the result came Total cholesterol : 162, LDL 122, HDL 22, Triglyceride 128, VLDl 26 & Fasting Blood sugar came 98. I have severe health anxiety especially cardiophobia since last 12 years. I have different fears related to heart all this years ( I used to google about mitral valve prolapse & blood pressure, where I came to know about various cardiovascular diseases including heart blockage, heart attack, stroke, arrhythmia, cholesterol, etc & time to time different different fears). I did my TMT test in 2011, which was negative, I did my Echo in 2013, it was normal, several Ecgs including one week before it was normal. The last Lipid I did was in 2011, it was Total Cholestrol 170, HDL 43, LDL 130, Triglyceride 90, in 2010 it was Total Cholestrol 165, HDL 34, LDL 110, Triglyceride 108, in 2009, it was Total Cholestrol 156, HDL 29, LDL 120, Triglyceride 110. In 2008 it was Total Choletrol 164, HDL 42, LDL 128, Triglyceride 92. I was walking daily for 45 minutes all this years, but last 1 years I was not doing walking & lazy. I always avoid deep fried foods, but on weekend & holidays I would eat in hotels . Now I read that, Low HDL can cause cardiovascular disease & started fearing that i have my arteries blocked due to low HDL all these years. What should I Do to stop this fears. I never took seriously about low HDL, now I came to know about the importance of HDL in preventing Coronary artery disease. I stopped completely the fatty foods, taking Fish Fry in Olive Oil, avocados, walnuts, fish oils, vitamin C, Orange & Pomegranate Juice, Garlic, Flaxseed, Olive Oil etc to raise my HDL & started brisk walking for 45 days since last two weeks & 10 floor stair climbing (2 times) & jogging 10 minutes. But somewhere I have fear that, all this years I was having low HDL & it would have made plaque in my arteries. I will go & check again my Lipid after 1 month & if its normal should I worry about previous low hdl days. How to fight this fear. Plz help me. I am not able to concentrate on anything & obsessing about my low HDl. I am taking bisoprolol 5 mg & magnesium citrate 200mg x3 times supplements for my blood pressure & anxiety. I have palpitations, tingling, twitching, nerve vibrations all over my body, chest tightness & pain all this years

Fishmanpa
26-08-14, 14:57
Hi sidsuae,

I've had two heart attacks, bypass surgery (triple) and most recently cardiac stents and cancer. The latter of which has put even more strain on my heart and circulatory system. Not much I can do about it so no worries ;)

You're blood work is excellent and I'm sure your doctors have told you so. It sounds like you're doing the right things to take care of yourself. To help increase HDL, perhaps add a fish oil supp to your routine.

The symptoms you describe can all be attributed to anxiety, especially in the light of your fitness and nutrition regime. The only advice I can give you is to seek help with your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

sidsuae
30-08-14, 09:45
Thanks fishmanpa, you are great in providing the help to others. As you know i have mitral valve prolapse, so it create lot of anxiety & fear. I am trying to control my anxiety, but somewhere sometimes i am losing my confidence whenever i think of Low HDL. lets hope for the best. Thank you once again.