PDA

View Full Version : Chronic hyperventilation syndrome

Andie2
26-08-14, 19:21
Hi everyone,

I've been a member on this forum for a few years... But never posted before. I have chronic hyperventilation syndrome, which was diagnosed about 2/3 years ago. When I say diagnosed I mean that it was the final explanation after tests had ruled out other physiological causes for my symptoms. The symptoms by the way are. Feeling like a I cant take a deep breath but needing to constantly and a range of other related things including tension, blocked ears, stiff fingers and a general spaced out feeling to name only a few. This feeling is there daily, form the minute a wake up until I fall asleep but some days are worse than others.

I went through a really bad patch which then got better.. No idea what helped! But it's now back and it's making every day a struggle.

I think my main problem is that I still question whether it is hyperventilation syndrome and constantly think it's something else. I just can't seem I accept it and although I try to do breathing exercises the fact that I'm doubting it probably means that I'm not convinced it will work!

I'm hoping to find anyone who mighty relate or have some tips.

Sorry for the long message

Andi

Catherine S
26-08-14, 19:43
Hi Andi. I think the fact that it eased off and then came back shows that its more likely to be anxiety based. I would think if it was anything organic it would be progressive and the tests would've showed something by now. Not being able to take a deep breath or feelings of suffocation is one of the most common symptoms of tension in the body. Tension through anxiety can affect every muscle in our body, even the eye muscles, which is why you see a scared person with staring eyes. We also have muscles around the lungs and they are also affected by not allowing the lungs to expand fully...so in that way it is indeed physical. Breathing badly is a learned behaviour as most behaviour patterns are. We spend so long breathing in one particular way that our lungs are almost programmed to it. It can be unlearned too though, and simple as it sounds there are breathing exercises to help with this.

You said "from the minute you wake up until you fall asleep" so what happens inbetween when you're sleeping? You body keeps breathing for you right? So when you're awake you are trying to control it and that just makes things worse. The stiff fingers are part of it. When the body breathes for itself it has the right balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide, but when we are anxious or tense or scared, this balance is interrupted and this affects alot of systems in our body.

ISB x

Andie2
26-08-14, 20:16
Thank you for replying so quickly! Your message makes so much sense and I try and tell myself similar things all the time. When I'm feeling ok it's
Easy to rationalise and be logical about it and I get annoyed with myself for getting so worked up about it, but then as soon as I feel bad it's like I go back to square one.

I just wish I knew what made it better or worse there seems to be no predictable patten to it

Catherine S
26-08-14, 20:40
But that's also the pattern of anxiety and the tension that accompanies it...sometimes it goes away only to return. We can't control it happening to us but we can try to control how we react to it and unlearn bad habits that keep feeding it yes?

ISB x

Andie2
26-08-14, 21:05
Yes you're right. So much is just learned bad habits that are hard to shake. This might sound odd but sometimes I think I feel ok and the because feeling 'normal' has become so unusual, I start focusing on it causing myself to feel bad again. It's a difficult cycle to break away from

bernie1977
26-08-14, 21:30
Hi Andie I found the info in the following link very helpful, hope it's some use to you too http://www.dchs.nhs.uk/assets/public/dchs/services_we_provide/service-directory/our-services/health-psychology/Information-sheets/stress&anxiety/Hyperventilation%20Syndrome.pdf

Andie2
27-08-14, 19:27
Thanks for sharing. Any resources are really helpful!

Mummygems
29-08-14, 18:41
My symptoms are exactly the same, they come and go. The link posted is very useful so thank you. I also use a spray of Rescue Remedy herbal mouth spray as a quick anxiety fix, which definitely helped before boarding my recent flights.