PDA

View Full Version : Weird experience - doc ordered xray without telling me!

Fj2014
27-08-14, 16:40
Just a quick question - I am being sent for an xray on my hip but when I read the referral the doc gave me yesterday it says 'foot.'
So I called today to double check and the receptionist says he has requested both.. considering I didn't mention my foot in the appointment and was wearing boots I don't know why he'd want my foot xrayed.

I'm not worried he thinks it's something serious and didn't let on..

Has anyone else had this weird experience?!

Oncemorewithfeeling
31-08-14, 13:22
Bottom of the line is that no medical investigations can be carried out without your consent, and you cannot give informed consent to an x-ray you didn't even know you were getting. You have a right to be informed and involved in decisions about your healthcare. I would phone the GP and ask him why he ordered it.

venusbluejeans
31-08-14, 13:54
you can have problems with your foot and it can cause pain in your hip, so I guess it is natural for them to take an x-ray of everything so they can find your problem.

MyNameIsTerry
02-09-14, 05:51
It could be postural. For instance, if you have one leg slightly shorter than the other, it can cause joint pain in that area. So, perhaps your GP is considering problems with your foot because there are known problems that can lead to causing swelling in the hip area even though they are not caused in that joint?