PDA

View Full Version : can anxiety get worse with outmeds?

tricia56
27-08-14, 18:52
hi can anxiety get worse if you don't take meds if you have had anxiety for along time, as ive been having cbt for the past 7wks even tho ive had the therapy twice before but didn't help me a few yrs back as I don't think I was in a good place to do it back then with the problems I was having at the time, but this time round I seemed to be in a better place to do it and it has helped me as the therapist was more on the behaviour side not cognitive, and been going every week to see him without fail even tho I was so anxiouse every time in having to travel into town centre to see him , yesterday I went to see him as had been on holiday for 2wks and last week I did have a blip so when he asked how I had been doing I told him that I had a blip and explained why , then all of a sudden he told me that he felt that because ive had cbt twice before that it would be a waste of time carring on with the therapy because Im not on medication even tho he knew im petrefied of taking meds so until I start on meds and be on them for 12 wks I can start the therapy again as he says that when I have a crises weather its little or big it sets me back and without meds I will be stuck like this the rest of my life so now im worried that if I don't take meds the anxiety will get worse and feel im being forced to take meds even tho I don't want to take them ,so think wat im trying to ask is will the anxiety get worse without meds if you have had it for along time, even tho as Im a lot better than wat I used to be like , sorry for long post just wanted to ask some one wat they think thk you

.Poppy.
27-08-14, 19:37
That's really an impossible question to answer as everyone's anxiety is different, and therefore, different people will respond best to different treatments.

I've never taken medicine for anxiety. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just not something I presonally wanted to do and thankfully I haven't had to go down that road. However, many people do take medication for anxiety and feel much better after doing so.

What is your fear with taking medication? Is it something you could discuss with your doctor so that maybe s/he could alleviate your fears? They - or a psychiatrist - may be better able to discuss medication options as well as therapeutic options like CBT and how they think you'd respond and what the best fit would be for you.

I don't think you should have to take medication if you don't want to, nor do I think that you should be "kicked out" of CBT because of your medication status. However, I do think that a second opinion would benefit you greatly - one from someone who is well-versed in anxiety and the different treatments and one who will take the time to find the best course of action for you.

rossthekid
27-08-14, 20:15
Hi Tricia,
I can only speak from experience and I have had similar situations as you describe. For me I have been to CBT twice previously, both times on medication. As stated it is difficult for anyone to state when and what medication you should or should not take, that is a medical decision. What I would say is that medication for me allowed me to function and that was all, the side effects were debilitating but then again so was the anxiety. I describe CBT on medication as trying to rehab my broken ankle with a plaster cast on. I am surprised that any CBT person states that medication is a must prior to appropriate CBT. Don't get me wrong there is a place in circumstances for meds and some people do benefit from them. but others would tell you very negative stories.

I stopped my medication, due to it not working as well, and am currently back in CBT, for the first time clean if you like. MY CBT person has been great but I think it has its limitations, really what can you get from an hour or so a week. It has though put me on the correct path and CBT for me is about taking small pieces of advice and building upon them yourself. You have to work at it, its not a fight but you have to put things practically into your life that allows your mind to rest.
Don't be hard on yourself for having blips we all have them, some multiple times a day. What has to change is you and by that I mean the way you view anxiety. My CBT was good and they say the right things but as an anxiety sufferer its difficult for you to process there ideas as when you walk out there door you are back to you being in your life.

I was just like you 2 weeks ago and I can tell you I feel better than I ever have by just a few adjustments to my mental approach to it. Im not 100% better, whatever that is, but I have taken the pressure of myself, allowed my mind to heal and am trying to get me and my life back.

darksideofthemoon
28-08-14, 06:16
The sad thing rossthekid is that most of the therapists in the United States are a**holes at least around where I live. I am way more knowledgeable than any therapist I have ever seen. None of them and I mean none ever heard of Claire Weekes and yet most people with an anxiety issue call the book self help for your nerves their bible. This is sad but it is the truth in the USA