PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming anxiety

Spice63
28-08-14, 00:34
Hi everyone, I've only posted a few times on here, so I will outline my anxiety past!

My dad passed away suddenly and unexpectedly last June, and I thought I was getting on with my life well, until one night in January I had my first panic attack while driving through a storm on the motorway in the dark.

After this I had many more, including one which I went to A and E for, not knowing that it was a panic attack. I thought my throat was physically closing up, I couldn't breathe but my heart was beating so fast, and I genuinely thought I was going to die.

It got to the point where I was scared to leave the house and could not walk around the supermarket without feeling like I was going to faint. Infact I could not even walk up the street, and had to challenge myself to walk what must be 50 steps to the corner of the block. My mum was the only person who could calm me down, which meant frantic phone calls at all hours. I didn't like to be on my own incase I couldn't breathe.

It wasn't until anxiety was suggested by a friend that I discussed it with the doctor. I was prescribed sertraline 50mg, and I saw a hypnotherapist/counsellor. We talked about my dad, about driving, which I had become very scared to do, and about anything else that was on my mind. I laughed, cried, and experienced every other emotion possible during my one hour a week appointments (of which I had about 5 or 6). Maybe she started the greiving process which I thought I had already been through, I'm not sure. She gave me coping mechanisms, and told me that this did not have to affect my life forever.

One of the main things we discussed was a holiday to Dubai to see my best friend who was living there, which I was too scared to book because I didn't think I'd be able to walk through the airport and sit on the plane without panicking. I was dreading it, and seriously thought about letting my best friend down because I was too scared. But it was something we'd planned for months, and I didn't want to be a failure.

The sertraline made me feel 'surreal' and horrendously dizzy for a few weeks, but it totally stabilised, and I believe the combination of the drug and the therapy has helped me overcome my anxiety. One thing I will say about anxiety is how surprised at how physical the symptoms are - I felt sick, dizzy, had constant headaches. I genuinely thought I had some sort of cancer or disease.

I made the trip to Dubai, and apart from feeling slightly dizzy in the airport (100% able to cope with) I felt 'normal' again! I had the most amazing time, and felt so empowered from travelling alone.

I never thought at the age of 20 I would lose my dad, go through a 'quarter' life crisis and be scared to leave the house. But at the time I never thought I would get over the anxiety either.

I am still on sertraline, and I am thinking of coming off it soon. I start a new job on Monday, so when I'm settled in I will discuss it with my doctor.

I just wanted to share this for anyone in the same boat. I started sertraline around February, and went to Dubai at the beginning of June. Now that it's stabilised I even have alcohol on nights out, which luckily doesn't affect me.

Anxiety doesn't have to take over your life! :hugs:

Sunflower2
02-09-14, 08:19
It's so nice to see that you managed to get your life back on track. It always gives me hope that I'll get to that point too reading about others experiences. A nice reminder that this can be beaten.

Thank you for sharing your story! :)

swgrl09
03-09-14, 02:49
I had a similar experience when I lost my mom. My anxiety became awful. I'm really happy you have found things that have helped you and renewed my hope that I can get better too

Moley
03-09-14, 10:54
wow welldone you have faced so many challenges and overcome them you should be so proud of yourself. Keep moving forward.

Fredone
03-09-14, 15:13
So good to read how well you've done.

MrAndy
03-09-14, 15:40
Well done Spice its nice to read a positive story