PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy, spaced out, neck, posture causing majority of symptoms, any advice?

Jubnut
29-08-14, 09:10
Hi!

I have been feeling a bit weird at times.

If I sit long periods of time, my upper abdomen feels really solid and bloated and it feels difficult to breath. If I stretch it helps a bit but main thing is that it is totally linked to the amount I sit on computer. On top of that, my neck seems really tight and I get these weird dizzy/spaced-out spells. They are nothing too serious, nothing like vertigo or anything, but still it feels kind of bad. These too are linked to the time spent on computer.

I have noticed that either sitting on computer or driving a car seems to cause these more frequently so I was thinking that it might be the posture problems I have that is causing these, do any of You have anything similar? And it seems that if I go to public places/stressful situations, I get these spells more often (maybe the neck tension). I have yet to be diagnosed with TMJ but the amount of cracking sounds my jaw makes when eating is so much I believe this is one thing to blame (my co-worker actually complained that it sounds really wicked when I eat :) ). And I have always one sided stuffed nose which doctor looked and said it definitely is not inflamed, maybe from smoking, allergies or sleeping on one sided with bad pillow (since it changes the side). AND I noticed that my other pupil is a bit larger than the other (they react to light well and when I went to optician he did not mention anything wrong apart from nearsightedness I have had) and it seems to be more noticeable in dim light which makes me to believe it has been there for my whole life.

I always slouch when sitting but I have begun to correct it more often. I did have head pressure before but it seems to have subsided. I always stretch my head forward (forward head posture) which could affect the neck in a bad way.

Now these symptoms (mainly the dizzyness/spaced out) and the added anxiety of course leads me to believe I have brain tumor or some sinister neurological disease. Some parts of me is thinking rationally (after starting cit), that if I actually had brain tumor these symptoms would be more constant (not spells) and more worse (not just "abit dizzy") and it would have presented itself more badly within these 3 months I have had these spells. These spells have actually been getting a bit better with time, so that too is a sign that this is not some deadly thing but mind wonders... I must add that I started cit about 2.5 months ago so that too could affect the dizziness.

Woah, I think I just listed all of my symptoms when I wanted to write about posture :D

So, if someone else are feeling these feeling and have been wondering that it might be caused by neck/shoulder tension, do You know any good exercise/stretches that could help? The problem areas for me seems to be the upper neck and abdomen which are sore due to slouching.

JulieJay92
29-08-14, 13:34
if it helps i am at a computer all day and i was told the majority of my symptoms are caused by posture

Jubnut
04-09-14, 09:24
leiajulie, what kind of symptoms do You have that is caused by posture if You don't mind me asking?

JoeGomez17
08-09-14, 21:33
Jubnut, I get this quite often (I think). I get spaced out / aloof feelings when sitting down for too long. I also get pressure in my solar plexus area and stomach area. Sometimes its bad enough to where my hands start to tingle and I need to pull over and walk around. Its rarely bad enough I have to pull over.

I found that it has alot to do with my breathing. And deep, slow, deliberate breaths will make the feeling go away.

My trade keeps me at the computer all day. And I drive a lot. Kinda sucks!

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

I try to sit up straight as much as possible, and I tend to unbutton my shorts or pants and/or not wear a tight belt when I'm sitting.

Mindknot
04-11-14, 10:28
Just found on a search - I think I have everything you do (that's kind of reassuring). I'm definitely worse at work too.

helenclaire
04-11-14, 11:44
I also get a lot of those symptoms,
I spend a lot of time slouched in the chair on the laptop with my head bent down.
The back of my neck is always aching and stiff and I feel lightheaded a lot of the time.
I am beginning to think this is a big a part of my problems.
Also some mornings I wake up feeling dizzy especially when I turn my head in a certain direction which again could be down to bad posture and how I have been lying.

Libra
05-11-14, 10:40
I have that too hellenclaire,

I know I have a shoulder impingement and carpal tunnel but it flares now and then if I haven't been taking note of my posture. I get the falling through space feel if I turn in bed, usually to my right. Not every time, I just have to get up slowly. Is your dizzy like this ?

helenclaire
05-11-14, 13:12
Yes, I have to make sure I turn over really slowly or I go really dizzy, then that sets off the panic.
It seems any sudden movement can set it off X

Libra
05-11-14, 14:02
I thought it was only me got that awful whizzing through space feeling.Its a type of vertigo I think..I also get panicy when it happens and you are right that it makes it feel worse with the anxiety of it.

wnsos
05-11-14, 15:40
I've had the vertigo thing too! Had it before my HA too and yet again I didn't think twice, but now... ahhh.

Just jumping in to say I listened to an interview with an osteopath on the radio early last month and she said for the best posture you can get if you're sitting down all day, make sure your tummy is tucked in because it straightens your spine? I forget exactly what she said but she said it's the best way to make sure you're sitting properly at your desk/in the car. I've taken to sitting up straight like a pollock in the car ever since. :roflmao:

Libra
05-11-14, 20:41
Had it 15 years ago.then 4 years ago and then a week ago.each time was followed by prolonged stress when my neck and shoulders tensed.

helenclaire
06-11-14, 06:53
I have noticed that the dizziness is more constant when I am anxious and up tight.

I am going through a lot of stress at the moment and the dizziness is something I am struggling with. I can feel the tension in my neck and shoulders so I think it could well be connected. :unsure:

Jubnut
12-11-14, 08:14
Hi!

Glad I'm not alone :)

I actually know exactly the feeling like suddenly falling, I get this usually lift or lower my head suddenly. Sometimes when moving from side to side or rotating the head too.

I actually went to visit a doctor and ask what this is, and he said that his patients usually refer shoulder/neck type of dizziness as being drunk. I have exactly this type of feeling some times (without consuming alcohol mind you :shades: ). It is not THAT bad all the time but it comes and goes - directly related to being either at computer or driving car too long.

Another thing was that we changed citalopram to escitalopram in hope of less side effects (tiredness mainly). He said that of course cit could be the cause behind the dizziness (I have been using it for 4-5 months now).

But all in all the doctor pressed my shoulder and said they were tense but the mobility wasn't affected. He said that this kind of tension usually comes with pain directly in the back of neck just under the skull (usually only if pressed). And he said that the tension also causes the front muscles (originating from shoulders to chest area) become affected in a way that it "presses" you downwards making the problem worse. He also said that head pressure is one symptom as this makes you bite more because of the tension and to add insult to injury, forward head posture tends to make things EVEN MORE WORSE.

Then he referred me to PT to get massage and instructions how to manage this :)

And to add, I think I figured out the cramping and the pressure in my stomach. This indeed is caused by slouching and static stress to abdominal muscles. I added magnesium supplements and after two weeks I haven't had any cramps since and if I had any pressure in my stomach area, it subsided really fast. Don't know if it's placebo or not - I actually don't care as long as it works - but this solved the issue for me.

Hope this helps!

Mindknot
13-11-14, 11:23
Went to an osteopath, apparently the way I sit - hunched shoulders, head tilting back - will have been squishing my occipital nerves (the ones that go over your scalp) - we didn't talk about dizziness but sounds quite likely. I've also got extremely tight and short muscles in my neck and shoulders... so I need to learn to sit properly.

Also, osteo said that hunched posture means you are probably not breathing well, which can lead to a change in body chemistry, implying increased stress and anxiety... interesting. Some people probably just get on with having bad posture, us hypersensitive anxious types probably have more of a hard time noticing the minute symptoms - which is why we are here :) Only my first visit, but I'll let you know if things improve as I retrain my muscles...