PDA

View Full Version : lymphoma...... reassurance needed!

em79prez
29-08-14, 14:15
Hi all

Ok so i posted few weeks back as i had a health scare that turned out fine but that id been stressing over other symptoms that i wasn't sure if they were anxiety related or not!

Anyway ive been back dr as i could feel a swollen node in my collarbone area on left and of course google freaked me out. Ita also same side ive been getting neck collarbone and arm aching. My skin has felt pretty weird too like sunburnt but im not.

So gp said all felt normal to him he wasnt concerned and thinks all anxiety related but in fairness to him he said he would investigate for me as he could see i was worried. So he re did my bloods (in mid june my wbc was slightly up so that had me worried) and he sent me for chest shoulder and cervical spine xray. So bloods were all totally fine wbc was down from 11.7 to 8.8 so defo in normal range. Chest xray clear and other xrays fine. Ive also had in june an ultrasound on neck due to the thyroid lump that started all this and they reported no cervical lympathy on that at time.

So knowing im still concerned gp said he refer me to a haemo as they be experts in this kind of thing but he said hes no concerns and is 99% sure i dont have lymphoma. He said pain down arm would only happen from very large node putting pressure on arm and he wasnt worried over burning skin thing.

So i went haemo last week he felt all around my stomach and pelvis had me move my neck around and he felt around collarbone and he said he felt nothing that would concern him. He said for my peace of mind he get ct scan done and take extra bloods but that he would be amazed if i had anything. I can still feel few lumps in left side of collarbone... have some on right side too but left worse but 2 docs are telling me its nothing. So had ct scan yest and more bloods so have to wait for results now and im totally sick with worry something is going to come up. My boyfriend and family are amazed at why im so worried as everything so far has been positive. I felt haemo just grazed his hands over the area whereas i be prodding but i guess they the experts.

My main concern is the skin thing this has me freaked as my skin feels irritated on chest arms hands tops of legs even my feet now its not bad bad itching im not actually itching it perhaps im too scared to incase it starts it all off then but feels like my skin is sunburnt. Gotten worse last week or so and of course Google hasnt helped. boyfriend keeps saying its stress but can stress really cause this and continous like its everyday? ? Ive saw some posts about burning itchy skin but most people only seem to have it a day or so.

even typing this im thinking people must think im mad but cant help having bad feeling about this but then is that my stress too??

i guess just looking for reassurance from people who understand .. pretty scared right now.

sorry for long post

Emma

Fishmanpa
29-08-14, 16:04
Hi Emma,

This is a recurring theme on the boards. But then, that's what HA does to you. Reassurance is short lived even when it comes from a medical professional...sometimes several medical professionals and numerous tests. There's a member that actually had an invasive surgical procedure done to remove nodes. Even after having the actual nodes dissected, analyzed and given the all clear, this member still doubted. Most here can relate to your fears and many feel the same way but it doesn't change the fact you're fearing something that's not physically there.

So you see, if medical professionals and tests cannot reassure you, How can anyone here really do so? That ultimately has to come from within. Learning to trust your doctors and yourself. Learning how not to react with the fears you currently do to benign issues. Therapy, CBT, meds or a combination thereof would be a very prudent thing to consider.

I hope you find a way to tame the dragon :)

Positive thoughts

em79prez
29-08-14, 16:08
Tks fishmanpa.... i guess when im looking for reassurance i mean that some of the symptoms ie the burning itchy skin can be anxiety related as i know its also a symptom of lymphoma and i think thats more so why I'm struggling to accept what drs have said.
Ive never had health anxiety before this all started in last few mths.... so its all kinda new too me and im hoping short term. Ive been seeing a counsellor but find it hard to switch off from the worry cause of the physical symptoms so i guess its vicious circle!!

Fishmanpa
29-08-14, 16:24
Tks fishmanpa.... i guess when im looking for reassurance i mean that some of the symptoms ie the burning itchy skin can be anxiety related as i know its also a symptom of lymphoma and i think thats more so why I'm struggling to accept what drs have said.
Ive never had health anxiety before this all started in last few mths.... so its all kinda new too me and im hoping short term. Ive been seeing a counsellor but find it hard to switch off from the worry cause of the physical symptoms so i guess its vicious circle!!

Yes, it really is a vicious circle and I'm sorry you're dealing with it. One look through the threads and at least you'll know you're not alone. This is a very supportive group and the people truly care. Take a look at the "Symptoms" link on the left side of the page and you'll see that anxiety really does have physical symptoms and some are quite distressing as they can mimic real illnesses. That's when the spiral begins. You think "this can't just be anxiety" but the majority of the time it is unfortunately.

Keep up the work with your counselor and work at it. Many here have gotten a leash on their anxiety and they'll tell you as I'll tell you that it takes determination and work. It's not like taking an antibiotic and the illness goes away. It's something you learn to live and deal with but you can succeed as so many have :)

Positive thoughts

Dolphin8808
29-08-14, 16:37
THe burning of your skin could be an allergic reaction from something you are eating, something you are using in your laundry, animals, pets, perfume, soap, medication etc.

You have to trust the docs, you've had more tests than most, I would be totally thrilled with the results!!!

Sounds to me like maybe a dermatologist to get you some allergy medicine or a doc who can help with the health anxiety will help get rid of the skin issue

em79prez
29-08-14, 16:48
I know i should be hugely relieved by the test results and drs info ive had so far... i guess thats the ha coming out in me.
Ive not changed anything i can think of to make my skin irritated but i have read lots of people saying they get it down to stress. Stress is an evil monkey !