PDA

View Full Version : Headache to do with neck?

Avasmummy_x
29-08-14, 14:34
I've posted before as I'm pretty certain I'm dying of a terminal brain tumour. Of course. I've had one and off light headed spells for a year and for the past 6 weeks it's been constant with a headache in the back of my head ( always in the same spot ) muscle weakness in arms, eye problems and many other symptoms.

Anyway I had a 3 day break this week with no headache hooray! But other symptoms were still present. Since the headaches come back so has neck and sometimes shoulder pain. Couldn't all these symptoms be linked to my neck? It's like a burning pain in my neck and sharp sudden pains in my shoulder.

Mummygems
29-08-14, 18:31
Sounds like symptoms of a muscle spasm in the neck and tension in the muscles which can cause headaches too. I have chronic lower back pain and finally saw a physio and the exercises have definitely helped. Go and see a physio or chiropracticor for some advice.

pb
30-08-14, 14:28
I've had headaches at back of head for two weeks. I'm sure it is tension and bad posture. But not sure how to stop this as the headaches make me stressed and the stress causes the headaches! This morning I was fine - no headache, but by 12 it's back.. Don't want to keep taking pain killers .

Avasmummy_x
30-08-14, 15:30
I've had headaches at back of head for two weeks. I'm sure it is tension and bad posture. But not sure how to stop this as the headaches make me stressed and the stress causes the headaches! This morning I was fine - no headache, but by 12 it's back.. Don't want to keep taking pain killers .

This is much like me. I don't have great posture and I have a 2yr old so I get worse headaches with less sleep.

Anonybrit
30-08-14, 17:46
I'm pretty sure the headaches I was complaining of having for >2 weeks were posture based as now I have moved back to my flat and so using a different everything including bed, desk etc the headaches have almost completely stopped.

The only thing I am left with is occasional temple and jaw pain which I think may be clenching.

So yes I think neck posture and clenching are two common causes of chronic headaches that you will want to exclude.

If you've had symptoms for 1 years it's incredibly unlikely to be brain cancer, which would have progressed to serious neurological problems within months and by a year you would probably not even be here to post this.

That said I can totally relate to your fears, I just logged on because I have the same fear myself and have been getting unusual pains here and there around my head lately since the previous headaches subsided :(

Avasmummy_x
31-08-14, 10:49
I'm pretty sure the headaches I was complaining of having for >2 weeks were posture based as now I have moved back to my flat and so using a different everything including bed, desk etc the headaches have almost completely stopped.

The only thing I am left with is occasional temple and jaw pain which I think may be clenching.

So yes I think neck posture and clenching are two common causes of chronic headaches that you will want to exclude.

If you've had symptoms for 1 years it's incredibly unlikely to be brain cancer, which would have progressed to serious neurological problems within months and by a year you would probably not even be here to post this.

That said I can totally relate to your fears, I just logged on because I have the same fear myself and have been getting unusual pains here and there around my head lately since the previous headaches subsided :(

Yeah I agree with that. I think I just worry because it was very irregular the lightheaded spells last year and there was no headache were as now it's very intense and constant over the past few weeks. Makes me very on edge and tense which definitely won't help!

Anonybrit
01-09-14, 00:24
Yeah I agree with that. I think I just worry because it was very irregular the lightheaded spells last year and there was no headache were as now it's very intense and constant over the past few weeks. Makes me very on edge and tense which definitely won't help!

I have only had my headaches for a week or so I don't have the assurance of knowing that no horrible disease has surfaced over many months, which it would have by now.

In my case, the headaches are different and are frequent, that's what makes me worry, but on the other hand they feel extremely muscular, they occur in typical muscular pain places, and since I've been in a different location with different postures etc. they have almost completely gone.

What I do also have is what feels like nasty teeth clenching pain; in my temples, jaw and just beneath my cheekbones - all classic places for clenching pain as that's where the muscles of chewing are. I catch myself clenching also.

A lot of facial pain during stress may be caused by this.

swgrl09
01-09-14, 04:18
I have had consistent neck/shoulder difficulties since a car accident years ago. My neck muscles and shoulder muscles still get very tense and I get frequent headaches. Some days it is just headache, some days just shoulders ache, some days just neck, some days all of it. I also can get light-headed when it is particularly tense around my neck.

Icing my neck and shoulders helps a lot. 20 mins on, 40 mins off.

RaverNeko
04-09-14, 01:22
I deal with tension headaches from tense neck and shoulder muscles all the time. It seems to be aggravated whenever I sit around and do nothing, especially when I'm on the computer or in class all the time. I've been to the doctor multiple times about headaches and after feeling my muscles, they confirmed that's what's causing the headaches. These types of headaches are called cervicogenic headaches, and they CAN be one sided too, despite what Dr. Google says.

Try using a cervical pillow. You can buy them at a ton of places and they'll help tremendously. It takes a couple of days to get used to them, but it helped me a lot.