PDA

View Full Version : Starting Venlafaxine Soon

SamDaye
29-08-14, 23:45
Hi,

First time posting here, actually the first time I've considered using forums.

I've been on sertraline for about 6 months for depression and now on 200mg/day, which I don't think has made much difference (other than side effects).
My doctor is switching me to venlafaxine (xl), after reducing to 100 of the sertra for a week, then 50 for a couple of days.
Has anyone been in the same boat? any advice is welcome.

Sam

SADnomore
30-08-14, 18:23
Hi, Sam! :welcome:

I took Sertraline several years ago and while it really helped with intrusive thoughts, I eventually found it to be emotionally numbing, which I have experienced before with the SSRIs. Withdrew from it on a schedule doc provided, and got the "electric brain shocks" and choppy vision episodes, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Venlaxafine is an SNRI, a different class of drug, and so when I went back to see him this past March, he started me on 37.5 mg for the first week, then on to 75 mg, where I've been for the summer months. Now on 112.5, a gradual upwards titration to be done every 4 weeks. I have asked him to which level does he anticipate raising me, and he has said that will depend on how I am feeling/doing. (Last winter I was barely functioning at all. Cried on and off all day. Forcing myself to get out of the house, then rushing home again.)

Don't be surprised if you continue to get withdrawal symptoms from the sertraline as you start up the venlaxafine. It will be hard to differentiate those symptoms from possible start-up side effects of the ven. DO eat when you take your ven, and my pharmacist recommended trying it in the morning, rather than at night, as it can be activating. That's what I did and also, I try to always take it at the same time each morning. Especially at first, if I went over the proper time by a couple of hours, I didn't feel well. I was blessed by having time to peruse the positive threads on ven here on NMP, rest and sip lots of water. Relax with a movie. Post threads and ask questions. It was on here that I learned that side effects DO pass, and are normal to be having at first. The idea is to hang on for at least 4 to 6 weeks and put them behind you so you can reap the benefits of the medication. Hanging in there, barring an allergic reaction, is key!

I wrote a few tips about starting venlaxafine in a thread back then, if you have time you might want to check it out.
http://nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154486&highlight=venlaxafine

I should update now to add that this latest 37.5 bump up in dose has resulted in only a mild revisit of the side effects I had when I started on ven. No fuzzy brain or muscle tonus, just the mildest of nausea and a bit of sleep disruption and memory issues. The memory thing, I have learned, is also a side effect and will pass. Some have found it really improves once the correct dosage is reached. ... Back in June, by which time all the startup side effects were long gone, I asked the doctor for something to help with motivation and energy. I now cared about things getting accomplished, but just wasn't finding myself following through. At that point he added 150 mg wellbutrin, which I had very few side effects starting, chiefly additional, mostly physical, symptoms of anxiety. Getting a bit more of that increased anxiety again now with the increase in ven, but I KNOW it will pass...

So, good luck and best wishes, fingers crossed that ven helps you as it has many of us here! I'm feeling better now, not getting down about things and in pain and tears like I used to be. Do hang on for the ride through the discontinuation and startup symptoms, it will be bumpy, but just be gentle with yourself and continue to work your way into the group here, and chances are very good you'll do well with it! Best thing about ven is that even though it takes what feels like a long time to work, it gets better still at 6 months! :yesyes:
Marie xx

SamDaye
03-09-14, 00:30
Hi Marie,

Thanks for the welcome, and all the advice, lots more than my doctor gave me.

Hopefully the side-effects won't be too bad. And i'll try and be active on here, if I can motivate myself.

Sam

a4000
11-09-14, 13:23
Hi Sam,

In 2012 I switched from Sertraline (I think it was about 150mg I was on back then). If I recall correctly I also reduced weekly to 50mg before switching to 37.5 mg Venlafaxine XL for a week then 75mg after that.

Like you Sertraline didn't help me at all, and for me, it made me fatigued and unable to sleep etc. I never noticed any withdrawal symptoms when tapering and switching, however I only noticed a change in anxiety/depression symptoms when I started taking 75mg for a few weeks.

Dan