PDA

View Full Version : Sweating and Irrational Fear - Caffeine the cause?

DavidJ85
30-08-14, 13:21
Ok so I've been suffering with a wisdom tooth infection for the past week which has been total agony. I'm taking paracetamol, ibuprofen, codeine, amoxicillin and metronidazole. All dentists orders. I'm also on sertraline and propranolol daily to deal with my anxiety but been on these for years.

I've not suffered from an anxiety attack in a while now but today I took Panadol with caffeine and since then my anxiety attacks have come back massively and quite frankly they're scaring me to death. I forgot how horrible it is. I'm sweating, all my nerves are on edge, I'm emptying my bowels every 10 mins or so and having horrible intrusive thoughts.

Please help me as I cant think what to do or how to deal with this :(

What's caused this hell?

nomorepanic
30-08-14, 14:14
I would never take those paracetamol with the caffeine is as that is very bad for anxiety.

Don't take any more of those for today.

Why are you on two antibiotics as well?

Have you had any alcohol at all?

DavidJ85
30-08-14, 14:39
The infection in the wisdom tooth was being stubborn on the first course so got prescribed more.

I don't drink alcohol nowadays at all.

Do you think it's the pills that have done this? It's started the vicious cycle

nomorepanic
30-08-14, 15:26
So you are not taking them both at the same time?

You are on quite a lot of medication there as well

Stay off the caffeine pills and see how things go

DavidJ85
30-08-14, 16:19
Yeah I'm on both antibiotics at the same time as that's what the dentist said.

Really trying to cope with this anxiety now :(

Ruby13
30-08-14, 16:32
I recently attended stress counselling, where we were told that a lot of common painkillers also contain caffeine. Those, coupled with your caffeine drink will have caused your anxiety attacks.

DavidJ85
30-08-14, 16:34
I don't drink caffeinated drinks I just took pain killers with caffeine. Can't seem to stop this anx now :(

nomorepanic
30-08-14, 16:49
Drink plenty of water and hopefully that will flush some of it out.

How long have you been taking the antibiotics?

DavidJ85
30-08-14, 19:40
Nearly a week on the antibiotics.

It's totally wrecked me for the entire day so far. I've not stopped visiting the loo, heart rate is high and sweating constantly. Feel completely on edge :(

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

I was totally calm earlier today and then the symptoms kicked in and the fear of dread, the heat wave and sweats came over me. My heart rate then sky rocketed, desperate need for the loo and the shakes began and have been with me all day.

I've laid in my bed all day since trying to calm down and it just won't go. I don't know what to do at all. I've tried breathing slowly, thinking about other things, trying to sleep, drank loads and nothing is helping.

Really at a loose end.

aprilmoon
30-08-14, 21:13
How are you feeling now David? :)

hanshan
30-08-14, 23:20
Dental pain/infection can make you feel really sick, which can mimic/spark anxiety.

The amoxicillin/metronidazole is a powerful combination against gram positive and gram negative bugs - give it a good go, but the metronidazole can also make you feel a bit off.

Take the pain killers as necessary - avoid caffeine if you think it makes you anxious. Ibuprofen (and codeine) should be sufficient once the antibiotics kick in.

DavidJ85
31-08-14, 09:35
I slept reasonably well but instantly woke up with irrational thoughts which has sparked it off again. I'm going to try going out today to take my mind off it all. Feel sick this morning though. :(