PDA

View Full Version : Distraction is the key...

skippy66
01-09-14, 13:34
Health anxiety is a mental issue. Your brain thinks too much about what is going on with your body. You read stuff, watch stuff on TV, and associate these negative things with what is going on in your own body. If you see a breast cancer advert you'll start to worry you have breast cancer. If a celeb dies from a heart attack you'll think you're going to have one.

The whole problem with health anxiety is almost an OCD obsession with your own bodily functions and symptoms. Using internet health forums, googling symptoms, visiting the Dr - these things keep your HA ticking along, they feed it, and it grows.

There is only one way to break this in the early stages, and that is to get your brain distracted by other things. Fill your life with things that are not health related and you won't have time to think about HA. Your symptoms will slowly go away. Or, more likely you will still have symptoms but you will not dwell on them because you simply don't have the time to do so.

If you're like i was, you will probably experience a sudden drop in your HA symptoms when you do some kind of day trip or holiday where your day is filled with 'other stuff'. When you get back home, your symptoms will come flooding back.

Distraction is the key folks. Have you ever read a book called 'Yes Man'? Start saying yes to everything, fill your life with activity and your health anxiety will crawl back under it's rock, giving you the chance to return to normal living.

mr benn
01-09-14, 14:30
This is very true. But in my current position im stuck in a vicious circle, where I keep feeling unsteady when walking, so it keeps fuelling my anxiety as Im never getting a break from it. The docs cant work out whats making me feel like this, unless it is anxiety. The prob is I cant get distracted for long periods of time , as you end up having to walk.
At work , I am on the 4th floor, and maybe that is sub-concioulsy making me feel a little unsteady. Its like Im walking on uneven ground a lot of the time. I find it hard to not be aware of how Im feeling when I walk . I have tried mindfulness with limited success.

fruity
01-09-14, 16:15
yes im in a vicious circle. if only I had done this when it all began over 6 yrs ago.

Derekmiller
01-09-14, 17:44
100% true. Any time in the day I`ve felt `not bad` it`s because I was involved mentally with other activities.

RoseEve
01-09-14, 17:56
I agree 100%