PDA

View Full Version : Success stories seem to go unrecognised!

nomorepanic
02-09-14, 01:01
A long-term member posted a success story this evening with her progress of beating HA.

She posted it in the HA forum and I moved it to the success stories forum as I felt it warranted some praise and recognition.

I was very saddened to see that no-one apart from me replied and then I was even more disheartened to see that loads of success stories had zero or just a couple of replies.

Come on people we should be congratulating people on their achievements and thanking them for coming back to update us!

This is a positive forum not one of doom and gloom yet those that do great things do not get the congratulations they deserve and above all they are sharing how they did it for encouragement to you all.

I hate to think that NMP is going down this route to be honest :lac:

Catherine S
02-09-14, 01:30
Nic, if its the person I think it is she sent me a PM earlier :)

ISB x

venusbluejeans
02-09-14, 10:39
Totally Agree...

Such a shame success stories don't get recognised more on here, I know I have written a few in the past and ended up thinking "whats the point" no one replies anyway.

success (səkˈsɛs) n1.
the favourable outcome of something attempted

It really doesn't matter how big that thing you attempted was..... sometimes I classed just being able to get out of bed as a 'success'

There is far too much emphasis on this site of the negative.... and yes I know that anxiety and panic is by nature a negative illness BUT all the more reason to celebrate the successes however big they may be.

So come on people, get behind others, read the success stories see what helps everyone else. congratulate people on their successes :D .... it is what they are there for.

nomorepanic
02-09-14, 12:41
It doesn't look like many people read the announcements either.

Fishmanpa
02-09-14, 13:30
I hear crickets chirping ;)

nomorepanic
02-09-14, 14:08
I hear crickets chirping ;)

:roflmao:

It's ok I will just talk to myself lol :yahoo:

venusbluejeans
02-09-14, 14:48
:roflmao:

It's ok I will just talk to myself lol :yahoo:

No change there lol

Elen
02-09-14, 17:04
read and acknowledged

hopey
02-09-14, 17:36
I agree wholeheartedly with you. I am probably one of those people. I read such a lot of letters and they have been such a help to me. BUT I do not send many replies. Thanks for the success stories once again hopey:bighug1:

swgrl09
02-09-14, 18:38
This may sound kind of stupid, but would it help to move the success stories forum up higher on the main page?

I think it gets kind of lost being after all the "problem" threads. I know I forget it's there sometimes, but have in the past posted and not gotten many replies.

Fishmanpa
02-09-14, 18:46
This may sound kind of stupid, but would it help to move the success stories forum up higher on the main page?

I think it gets kind of lost being after all the "problem" threads. I know I forget it's there sometimes, but have in the past posted and not gotten many replies.

That's actually a good idea. If it were the first thread on all the "problem" pages, it may get read more often. That along with "Top Tips"

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
02-09-14, 18:54
So basically move the whole remedies/therapy forum before the problems/issues forum?

Brunette
02-09-14, 19:07
I agree it might look a bit odd if you moved it.

Personally, I agree with you about success stories and will make the effort to look in more often.

Having recovered from panic attacks myself I know it can be done. The success stories forum ought to be an inspiration to those that are still suffering so perhaps we should all do our bit by referring people to them when appropriate.

Tessar
02-09-14, 22:41
I couldn't agree more about success stories being overlooked. I have tried a few times to kick some positive stuff off. But got nowhere I am afraid. I don't have time to read all threads but if I see success stories that relate to my troubles (past & present) or even matters that don't relate to my own experiences I do try to make a comment.

I have made some very good friends in this site.... I am so glad I registered. Actually one of the enduring things about the site (that keeps me coming back) is to continue those friendships. I like being in touch with these friends e cause ... I they have issues that bring them here in the first place.... But alongside those issues .... These friends have helped me to remain positive. To keep at it and not give up when I am faced with difficulties.

So yeah..... Lets make sure we do celebrate the positive..... Because that is what (in the end) helps us all get better.

And surely getting better is wht we want?

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

180 views..... Only 14 responses

I forgot to mention that I tend to scroll down active topics, I don't really look at the list of forums or go into specific ones.... But I guess I don't read every thread title.
From time to time I realise I have missed one I really wanted to comment on.
I nearly missed this one. glad i didnt.

Anyway.... I am very much in to the positive.

swgrl09
03-09-14, 02:39
I like the idea of moving the positive stuff to the top, but Tessar makes a good point that lots of people just use active topics.

MyNameIsTerry
03-09-14, 06:15
I see you are giving us an all new brand spanking website...so perhaps you could have a hand that drags our cursers to the success stories board everytime we log on? :D

There is still loads of positivity in the threads on the other boards whether its people being supportive, providing tips & ideas or where members explain how they have achieved certain things and get some well done's back. So, to some extext its going on, just not on the other board as well.

Moving it upwards above the anxiety disorder boards might work, but if not you could perhaps add some form of banner reminding people why its a good board - in that there will be tips & ideas in there as well as positive stories that may offer comfort?

Oosh
03-09-14, 08:37
I'm like Tessar, I tend to find the Success board via Active Topics.
Otherwise I take a look on the same message boards each day.

It's only when I see the success posts via Active Topics with 0 replies that I'll generally pop in there.

So on my observations of my own habits it's Active Topics that makes me see the rest of the boards exist. Whereas observing the boards,
I still tend to only see the boards I'm interested in and can skip over the others.
So maybe, even if the success board was moved, the people who know exactly what board they're heading for, still won't even see it.

Maybe Active Topics could be made a more prominent part of a users experience.

It's difficult really. Lots of people arrive here anxious and know exactly what board they're interested in to get what they need. They're not interested in anything else.

lior
03-09-14, 08:46
I only go on Active Topics and the page with my past posts on it to see if there have been further comments. I don't look at any other boards.

I do post on Success Stories so I think it would be a good idea to bring them up to the top or highlight them or something on Active Topics.

Sunflower2
03-09-14, 08:55
Oh i didnt even realise there was an active topics tab. Learn something new every day!

venusbluejeans
03-09-14, 10:03
I still tend to only see the boards I'm interested in and can skip over the others.
So maybe, even if the success board was moved, the people who know exactly what board they're heading for, still won't even see it.

Exactly my thought really, everyone is so wrapped up in their own thing that even if you moved it, it would still be ignored!

we have found that with the announcements forum or the technical forum...

Eg when we had a problem with Java in the chat room, I posted in the Technical forum yet Nic and I still had about 30 members messaging us telling us there was a problem.

I guess the crux of it is that people really need to be a little more observant when viewing the forum.

Moley
03-09-14, 10:48
I don't think moving will make much difference think we all just need to have a rethink of how we use the site. Like Nic says we should be congratulating people with success as encouragement to keep carrying on with their successes. It is so good to know that there is hope out there for us all.

lior
03-09-14, 10:54
Websites don't work that way. If lots of people aren't getting something, it's the problem of the website design, not the people.

When the first computer keyboards were invented, lots of the product testers kept making the same typing errors. All the testers blamed themselves, but the designer blamed himself. The designer figured out the common problems and moved the placement of letters on the keyboard so that fewer errors were made. And it worked.

If lots of people are making the same mistake, it's a design problem. You can't tell everyone to behave differently - it's much easier to present information to them in a way that's going to make it the obvious, easy, right thing to do.

I'm not complaining about the website by saying this - I just don't think you're going to have much success with the approach of telling people to be more observant on the forum.

Let me know if you need any UX help.

Sunflower2
03-09-14, 11:57
Perhaps its also just the nature of these conditions that can make people selfish. A lot of people might just look for support and reassurance on a specific problem to them and just see the success stories as something unattainable and maybe don't know what to say if they can't imagine feeling the same way? I know at times when I've been wrapped up in my own world I'm not very good at congratulating and encouraging others.

lior
03-09-14, 13:21
These are actually all really interesting insights... would be really interesting to do a user experience journey design for this website. Lucky person whoever gets the job :)

I don't tend to look at Health Anxiety threads that often because it's not within my experience so I don't know what to say. Maybe explaining somewhere some things to tell people who are suffering might be a useful thing to do. Although that probably already exists right? I just haven't found it yet?

nomorepanic
03-09-14, 14:12
I always wonder how many people have ever read the website articles on the lefts as well <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I think at times we have too many forums and sub-forums on here and as has been said before a lot just post in HA and the admins spend hours moving posts to the more appropriate forums.

Fredone
03-09-14, 14:31
Hi
I'm new to this so could anyone tell me where you find the success stories on the site?
Thanks

lior
03-09-14, 14:31
There is going to be a way to reorganise all this information, that would make it very easy for people to find things relevant to them and help others.

Also your user experience as admin is important too. It shouldn't be the case that you have to spend time moving posts around. There must be a better way.

Do you have any actual plans to change the website? Is there any scope to really do that? I don't imagine there's much funding kicking about? Do you think we could find a sponsor to help us redesign the website so it's easier to use? Do you think people even want that?

Oosh
03-09-14, 16:11
Fredone - success stories board -
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20

lior - the sites getting an upgrade this weekend -
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=159297

Catherine S
03-09-14, 16:27
Lior, not sure if you're aware but Nic's hubby Alex is the tecky behind the website and there is thread on the boards today re the new website that's been created and rolled out this coming Sunday. That may answer some of your questions anyway, just to let you know.

ISB

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

Oops sorry, didn't realise Oosh had put up the links for it already :)

ISB

nomorepanic
03-09-14, 16:28
There is going to be a way to reorganise all this information, that would make it very easy for people to find things relevant to them and help others.

Also your user experience as admin is important too. It shouldn't be the case that you have to spend time moving posts around. There must be a better way.

Do you have any actual plans to change the website? Is there any scope to really do that? I don't imagine there's much funding kicking about? Do you think we could find a sponsor to help us redesign the website so it's easier to use? Do you think people even want that?

We have asked members to post in the relevant forums time and time again but it doesn't happen so we manually move the posts for now.

I am going to be asking for donations soon as we will need some money to upgrade the forum and we have already paid for a specific Word Press theme for the new website that is adaptable on mobile devices.

We also need a new chat room.

The website and forum are going to be separated when we move to the new server on Sunday.

Tessar
03-09-14, 21:15
I see you are giving us an all new brand spanking website...so perhaps you could have a hand that drags our cursers to the success stories board everytime we log on? :D

Like!

Perhaps it could be set up that you can't post elsewhere til u post on a positive thread.... Like doing positive "lines"

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

I only go on Active Topics and the page with my past posts on it to see if there have been further comments. I don't look at any other boards.

I do post on Success Stories so I think it would be a good idea to bring them up to the top or highlight them or something on Active Topics.

Yes that sums me up too.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Perhaps its also just the nature of these conditions that can make people selfish. A lot of people might just look for support and reassurance on a specific problem to them and just see the success stories as something unattainable and maybe don't know what to say if they can't imagine feeling the same way? I know at times when I've been wrapped up in my own world I'm not very good at congratulating and encouraging others.

Very good point, Kimberley, I had wanted to say something along those lines but couldn't think of a way to word it without sounding grumpy or mean! Or worse maybe even negative... But you wrote well.

Funnily enough, there are times I don't want to be bothered posting bit if I come across a positive one, I make myself comment because I know how frustrating it is to be ignored. Then you wonder why did you bother, that turns a positive into a negative which is a shame.

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

We have asked members to post in the relevant forums time and time again but it doesn't happen so we manually move the posts for now.

I am going to be asking for donations soon as we will need some money to upgrade the forum and we have already paid for a specific Word Press theme for the new website that is adaptable on mobile devices.

We also need a new chat room.

The website and forum are going to be separated when we move to the new server on Sunday.

When I first joined the forum, I lacked so much confidence that I would debate for ages where to put things.... I can be like that now. I end up treating the choice like doing question in a psychometric test!!!

lior
03-09-14, 22:53
So exciting!

You know, I will miss this site. It's the most old school kind of site I use. I know that I'm going to be nostalgic for it as soon as it's gone.

But I am looking forward to an easier user experience :)

For donations, maybe you could do a Kickstarter campaign? Something a bit more snazzy than just asking for money. It might make more.

Catherine S
03-09-14, 23:12
Oh 'eck...will it look really different?

swgrl09
03-09-14, 23:38
I honestly think most people post in HA because that's where they see people getting responses and they are afraid if they post under a more relevant forum, it won't be noticed. I know I have in the past. I think that even happens with success stories.

I wish I had an answer for how to change it or make people follow the rules. If we can lead by example, maybe others will follow.

venusbluejeans
04-09-14, 00:00
Oh 'eck...will it look really different?

Not too much different ISB, the forum and the website will be separate as Nic has said before.... just an upgrade to make it look neater and smarter.

ps, I have got your PM, thank you for that.... just haven't really had much time after finishing work tonight to respond to you :)

swgrl09
04-09-14, 01:08
Just a question... I know Nic mentioned needing donations - can we donate from the USA using American dollars? Never was sure about that.

venusbluejeans
04-09-14, 01:12
you donate mainly through paypal, so you should be able too as you can by things from other countries using paypal so should be able to donate :)

Nic should be able to answer you for definite tomorrow though

Sunflower2
04-09-14, 07:30
Have you thought about crowdfunding to raise some funds? It seems to be quite popular at the moment!

Catherine S
04-09-14, 14:53
No probs Venus, thanks for info

ISB x

Davit
24-03-15, 06:51
Well this isn't a surprise, it happens on other sites too. I've been panic free for five years and frankly I've been recognized, questioned and even told I was out to lunch. Am I discouraged/ Not in the least.

Davit

Davit
17-04-15, 17:37
I got billed canadian dollars, NMP got pounds. Bank did it Visa since I don't use paypal.

MyNameIsTerry
18-04-15, 04:22
I got billed canadian dollars, NMP got pounds. Bank did it Visa since I don't use paypal.

Send through some of that manure, if only to annoy our Custom's people! :yesyes:

mrjogi
13-01-17, 16:32
i think this is a great point