PDA

View Full Version : Just don't want to be here

Female healthanxiety
03-09-14, 09:27
...at work that is! :weep:

Started a new job 3 months ago and as much as I fit in like a glove at all my other jobs -- I don't here and I find this is making my HA worse.

It is a very small company and there is the boss and only 1 other guy work in the actual office. No one talks to me, and when he does its like he talks down to me like he is a teacher.

I have come in as Office Manager and I feel like an Office Junior.

Every morning as soon as I walk in I fear dread and sigh and am ashamed to say I clock watch my lunch and then home time. I always tend to feel a sigh of relief when I finish work.

I try and just get on with my work, but feel like I am always being watched.

No one really talks in here and of course it just makes me feel like my every single type or movement is heard - so uncomfortable.

My boss and Co seem like nice guys but just dont think it is for me!

I am now sitting here (got here at 9.00) and just want to run out.

The other thing is they have got me doing some cold sale calls, introducing our services and what we do, which I am not comfortable with to be honest. It is an events company and I was employed as an office manager.

On a better note -- dizziness has subsided somewhat - but I normally know how bad of a day I am going to have come lunchtime as to the severity of it that day!

Any replies welcome.
:scared15::scared15:
Eyes on Me!

Primula
03-09-14, 09:48
Sorry to hear the job isn't going well. It's hard to tell whether it's the job causing the anxiety, or anxiety making the job feel horrible. I feel the same about my job, that I used to love.

Probably best to stick with it for a while, and see if you can sort out the anxiety first. Xx

Female healthanxiety
03-09-14, 09:50
Hello Primula,

I just don't think it is for me if I'm honest...
I feel like just walking out - and I have 'stuck it out' for the last 3 months!
I feel like this job is also taking all my self-confidence away.....

x

Primula
03-09-14, 09:52
Mmm, maybe time to look for another job. It's horrible being stuck somewhere you're not happy with.

Female healthanxiety
03-09-14, 09:55
I have an interview on Monday and am also keeping an eye out on Gumtree and applied for another yesterday.

I would really leave now if I knew I had something else lined up!

This is unlike me - as I normally stay at my jobs for at least 3 years xxx

No one is talking and my typing sounds so loud!!!

Fj2014
03-09-14, 09:57
Hello lovely,

Sorry to hear you're feeling like this :( - it's not nice to be in a job you're not enjoying.
Have you considered looking for anything else? Noone needs to know if you're just looking!!

Or you could try chat to your boss as you say he seems like a nice guy so maybe you got off on the wrong foot?

Saying that, when I started my job I felt exactly how you describe and wanted to escape but after six months I am starting to feel like I'm gelling with everyone and really getting into it so perhaps all you need it more time.

I'm always here if you want to chat xxx

Female healthanxiety
03-09-14, 10:02
Hellllllllllo BFF!

Not even like I can message you until lunchtime as I had him right opposite me!

I don't really think there is anything I could possibly say to my boss apart from I don't like the job!

My probation is over next week as well x x x

I hope your doing OK - Look forward to messaging you at lunch x

Fj2014
03-09-14, 10:42
Rubbish - my signal may or may not be working today but leaving at 2.30pm so if I don't reply I will then!!

If your probation is finishing does that mean you'll have a probation meeting?? That will be the perfect opportunity to ask for feedback and air some views about how they could make life easier for you - also, could be that you get high praise and it relaxes you!!!

I was DREADING my probation as I thought I'd failed and everyone hated me, then got a really positive review so it was all good :)!!

Good luck with it matey and we'll talk later anyway!!

xx

Female healthanxiety
03-09-14, 10:51
Ok hun - no worries at all! :bighug1:

I doubt it hun - I do not have any enthusiasm here at all - I am just deflated and feel that I am no way putting any effort into anything (as bad as it sounds)

xxx

Brunette
03-09-14, 12:31
I know where you are coming from and I think you just know when a job isn't right for you.

I once had a job where I knew from day one I had made a mistake. One of the bosses (not even my own line manager) told my dad (who worked in the same building) that I was late on my first day and that it didn't look good.

I'm not prone to lateness at all but given that my interview had taken place in another building and it was the first time I had made that particular journey I'd just underestimated the amount of time it would take.

I was shocked by the pettiness of the remark and nothing that happened subsequently was able to endear me to the place. Not only was the work dull but there wasn't enough of it to do. This was in the pre-internet days so I was trapped at a desk all day being bored to buggery. It was also a place where everybody bitched about each other constantly. I spent lots of time in the toilet on the verge of tears.

I stuck it for 5 months and left to get another job with my previous employer - had I not got that job I would have resigned anyway.

I've never felt like that before or since.

Anyway, my advice is don't try to stick it out - keep applying for other jobs - you'll find one soon!

Fishmanpa
03-09-14, 12:39
I believe we've all had this experience in our lives. Trust your gut on this. That being said, it's always easier to find work when you have work so don't make any rash decisions. You'll also feel better mentally knowing you're taking steps to make a move.

Positive thoughts

Female healthanxiety
03-09-14, 14:36
I know where you are coming from and I think you just know when a job isn't right for you.

I once had a job where I knew from day one I had made a mistake. One of the bosses (not even my own line manager) told my dad (who worked in the same building) that I was late on my first day and that it didn't look good.

I'm not prone to lateness at all but given that my interview had taken place in another building and it was the first time I had made that particular journey I'd just underestimated the amount of time it would take.

I was shocked by the pettiness of the remark and nothing that happened subsequently was able to endear me to the place. Not only was the work dull but there wasn't enough of it to do. This was in the pre-internet days so I was trapped at a desk all day being bored to buggery. It was also a place where everybody bitched about each other constantly. I spent lots of time in the toilet on the verge of tears.

I stuck it for 5 months and left to get another job with my previous employer - had I not got that job I would have resigned anyway.

I've never felt like that before or since.

Anyway, my advice is don't try to stick it out - keep applying for other jobs - you'll find one soon!

Am really sorry to hear about your experience :-( but on a happier note; am glad you found a nice new job.

That is very cheeky and he had no right to say that to your dad - that is actually a breach! PIG! well....it certainly didn't stop you from getting the job!

Well I am sometimes late, but jeez I do make up for it!

I so understand what you mean - there is nothing i look forward to doing, no deadlines no nothing - it seems like they don't even have a job description for me :wacko:

I often go to the toilet hoping that the time would change dramatically!

I got back from my lunch at 2.00 and now counting the hours until 5.30pm.

No - I have never felt like this before - I normally get on well with a whole genre of people, don't know wht I feel so deflated here - I actually look forward to going home and cleaning when I finish :scared15::scared15:

Thank you for your advice - today I have spoken to a potential employer - but will just see how it goes as she says she has others to phone and I was the 1st!

x

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

I believe we've all had this experience in our lives. Trust your gut on this. That being said, it's always easier to find work when you have work so don't make any rash decisions. You'll also feel better mentally knowing you're taking steps to make a move.

Positive thoughts

Hello Fishmanpa - :bighug1:

Yes - being proactive in searching will make me feel a bit better (I hope). Just so uncomfortable!