PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia has flared up again

t0rt01se36
03-09-14, 12:06
My Emetophobia has flared up again, because a family member has just had a tummy bug. I don't live with this person, but I'm still scared I'll get a tummy bug, through people who have been near her and who i'll see soon.

It is so bad. So much so, that I avoid going out to certain places and being around people in an enclosed area.

I hate being like this and it's happened just when I thought things were at a good point in my life.

Causes my anxiety to flare up too.

Hiope someone understands what i'm saying and how I'm feeling!

I wash my hands alot but still know that I could catch something, airborne.

Sunflower2
03-09-14, 17:44
I understand the stomach turning feeling you get when you hear someone has a bug, even if you have no contact with them at all. You could be doing really well with anxiety and be feeling completely fine, just for everything to suddenly turn around at the mention of a stomach bug.

I understand completely. I hate how there is always some parts of anxiety that no matter what will automatically flare up.

But remember it's only a thought, and really you can prevent it with good hygiene and use that thought to keep yourself calm. And remember it may not be contagious, you may not be susceptible, you already have a very high standard of hygiene, and just cause you hear of someone being unwell doesn't make it any more likely to get it. That's what I try to tell myself!

t0rt01se36
04-09-14, 13:14
The anxious thoughts are getting better a bit today. I avoided going out yesterday though and have just turned down the offer of my Sister and her baby visiting me, today. It wasn't only my health though, the reasons why I stopped her from visiting.

Today, I need to go grocery shopping, so I hope I do go out n not let Emetophobia turn me into too much of a recluse.

rosiel
12-09-14, 00:27
I understand completely. I didn't realise so many people had this phobia, during my time at secondary school it completely plagued me with absolute fear and dread the second I heard the word vomit or 'sick bug'.
If it's any help, the norovirus cannot be transmitted airbourne, it has to be passed through infected faeces or vomit- and this is generally affected by improper hand washing, correct hand washing almost completely eradicates the chance of catching it!
I'm a little behind on the times with this as whoever was ill will be recovered now and no longer infectious so I hope you managed to get on with what you needed to do.
Hope you feel slightly less anxious today!