PDA

View Full Version : confused OCD or anxiety or both?

marleybobs
03-09-14, 17:25
This will probably be long so thanks for reading.
I haven't ever had problems like this and I'm 32. I have 2 children and quite a stressful job. About three years ago I had a huge panic attack and ended up in a and e thinking I was dying. I was told it was a panic attack I felt awful for about a week and then fine and back to normal. About 5 months ago I had another huge panic attack but the symptoms were none stop for 4 or 5 hours and then the symptoms continued the following day so ended up in a & e again. They confirmed it was anxiety and I saw my GP who put it down to anxiety because my son had been quite poorly the month before. He had been in hospital and it was very stressful so they said it could be that. I was given an anti depressant sertraline 50mg which I didn't start taking for 2 months because i was worried about taking them. I was also referred to a mental health service who after assessing me said I wasn't bad enough to be referred! By this point I'd had anxiety symptoms daily for 3 weeks. They said they could talk to me about anxiety and give me ways to cope with it and I had 5 sessions with them. During that time my symptoms changed and it seemed that every time I managed to over come one symptom a new one started until I started with intrusive thoughts about my son dying. I started taking my tablets then because I thought I was going mad. The tablets seemed to help almost straight away. Don't get me wrong it didn't go completely but It got easier. It's been about 2 and half months since I started taking them and I've started to have horrible thoughts again for the past 3 days and I feel like I'm back at the beginning. I can't see the word dying with out thinking one of us is going to die. I see sissors or a knife and think some one is going to stab me or the kids. I'm so confused about what this is. Can anyone help?

Adam0412
03-09-14, 17:48
I'm sorry to hear you're going through a tough time! I'm in the same boat right now, so I can relate. I just posted up a thread today about my problems which are basically the same to yours right now...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=159310

They are just thoughts and nothing else, I know its hard to instantly accept its just that because I'm struggling to as well. But I too suffered from HA (Health anxiety) and it's now manifested into this its awful. :(

I hope it just passes because its struggling for me to do just normal day to day things. I think it is a mix of anxiety leaded by OCD maybe, mainly anxiety though.

marleybobs
03-09-14, 18:00
Wow that's exactly what I'm going through inmworried that I'm going mad and will act out the thought. I don't want to but then I think what if? If I'm thinking it will I end up doing it. What I don't understand is can it be OCD if I've never had it before? Can it just start from being stressed?
Have you been back to your GP or are you on any medication.?

Adam0412
03-09-14, 18:09
It can be! Anxiety will definitely make matters worse. We have so many thoughts a day, but i think these certain thoughts we are going to constantly latch onto because were in a worried state.

I haven't been to a GP about this just yet, and I'm not on meds at the moment! I've had instrusive thoughts before and I did get over it, its just another matter if I can do it again! This time feels 10X worse but I'm not sure if that's because I got over all this for a while.

How do you feel during the day? Are you constantly thinking about the thoughts or worried?

marleybobs
03-09-14, 18:38
It's not constant throughout the day as I'm working so busy but they do pop into my head or I will think Oh I've felt ok for a few hours and that triggers it.
As soon as I finish work or stop what I'm doing it happens. I wonder if I need to have medicine increased but I really don't want to rely on that.

Adam0412
03-09-14, 20:42
Keeping busy definitely subsides it! I'm currently doing noting at all at the moment so I'm incredibly bored as Uni hasn't started yet, so I think I'm bored which might not help!

MyNameIsTerry
04-09-14, 04:24
It is a form of OCD. Here is a link to the descriptions from OCD UK's website:

http://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd

You won't act them out because they are abhorent to you, something that is echoed on that link.

There was an interesting article posted a while back that showed that even those without anxiety disorders could experience these thoughts, but the difference was that they never realised because they popped in and out without them consciously acknowledging them.

I think this is possibly why there is a such a stron link between anxiety in general and these OCD rituals & intrusive thoughts flaring up. I know my OCD is far worse if my anxiety is high.

If you also feel an irrational anxiety of other people harming you or your family, thats more paranoia. Its treating in the same way with conventional therapies such as CBT and its likely there would be some form of exposure therapy with things like knives so that you habituate and lose the fear as you use CBT to conquer the intrusive thoughts, maybe.

Do you think its an irrational lack of trust that has been caused because of the stress of your son being ill?

OCD can certainly develop later, I had GAD for about 4-5 years before I started experiencing several forms of OCD. However, I can see some low levls of OCD in my childhood that would only bother me briefly (it went natuarally because I didn't put any emotional lable on it which anxiety disorders feed off)

Adam0412
04-09-14, 12:06
Marleybobs, you can get out of this rough Pitt. It's a matter of accepting what they just are, thoughts. Thoughts what have no meaning, the anxiety of it all will make your thoughts 10x worse, that's how it spirals out of control.

We have 50,000 - 70,000 thoughts a day, every person will have a bad thought or a silly thought, it is just you're latching onto it because of your anxiety. Don't let it stop you in its trap, you're not in danger, even though you feel you are. It is very hard, I'm going through the same but I am not going to let it ruin my life, if I have got through it once then certainly I and everyone can!

:)