PDA

View Full Version : Nightime Jerks! HELP

Dolphin8808
04-09-14, 14:20
So recently over the last week I have began to have nightime jerks. It will happen every time I start to doze off and will have 5+ times a night. It gives me high anxiety and really makes it hard to sleep. Its like I am laying there about to doze off and BAM! My body jerks and I am wide awake.

I am worried this is a sign of something more serious. I recently herniated a disc in my back, thank God it wasn't too bad but its causing muscle spasms in the leg with the sciatica, then add on these damn jumps and I am so freaked out. I am really worried there is somethign going on neurologically or in my brain that is making this happen.

Can anyone relate?

trish1955
04-09-14, 16:31
I hop hey are nothing to as it happens to m nfee times last night xxx

Serenity1990
04-09-14, 16:33
These are called Hypnic Jerks. They're very normal and nothing to worry about.

trish1955
04-09-14, 16:51
What makes them happen x

UKmamainUS
05-09-14, 01:26
I have these a lot but since I gave up gluten they went away. If I have gluten a couple of days in a row they come back. It took me a long time to figure this connection out.

Fishmanpa
05-09-14, 01:41
Jerks, whether you deal with then during the daytime or the night time can really get on your nerves.... some people!... Ohhh wait... :doh:

Actually, I've read several threads here about it and it's a rather common anxiety symptom. Your body is under stress, from anxiety or other reasons (like an injury) which can cause it to send out a rogue signal but the vast majority of people experience this at one time or another and it goes back to our ancestry when a feeling of falling would cause our muscles to react to prevent it. Ever watch an animal fall asleep in an awkward position that could cause them to fall? I've watched my cat do this and catch himself at the last second. It's not sinister in the least but it certainly can be annoying...just like Jerks ;)

Positive thoughts

eevee
05-09-14, 04:15
I remember having this when I was in between awake and asleep and my sister laughed cos it was pretty comical, lol, like all was quiet in the bedroom and suddenly I jerked. I have this quite often, usually when I'm about to sleep. No worries!

meche
05-09-14, 07:47
I deal with jerks all the time....... but I'm ignoring anything work related today :D!!!

Seriously I had these a few years ago when my anxiety was really bad. They scared the crap out of me & that only made the problem worse. Mine were crazy - not just little jerks but some were so strong that my whole body would lift off the bed! In time they did go but only when my mind was calmer. I still get them now & again but I've since learned they're perfectly normal & even non-anxious people get them. I'm normal...... ish!!! :wacko:! xx