View Full Version : Worried about abuse from Scottish independence vote

phil06
07-09-14, 22:03
I posted some comments on Facebook and had heaps of abuse. I posted I support no on one of the news facebook pages and received abuse private messages.

Anybody else had this and it's unfair I can't have an opinion.

Sunflower2
07-09-14, 22:22
The debate is becoming to get quite heated as it's almost at the referendum. Either way you comment people are going to give you their opinion and some are very forceful about why they think they are right! I tend to keep my mouth shut as I can't be bothered with the hassle of explaining to anyone what I'm voting. I'm the end it's the single persons choice and no others. I wouldn't take the abuse personally, they are just trying to preach their views to as many people as possible because often once someone has decided what they are voting they refuse to listen to any other opinion.

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-14, 03:21
I don't get it Phil, you are down as England on here and said no...well, isn't that what all English people are saying? Or are you Scottish and getting abuse from the nationalists?

Twitter & Facebook are the land of the trolls. Block them, report them, but until the government finally take a stand against social media abuse, these people will continue. Its obvious that even professionals exploit social media to do things like this for someone willing to pay them.

Don't let them bother you. Some people are just idiots and like abusing people. These are without a doubt always small minded people whos opinion counts for nothing in this world. (Or was it Alec Salmond? :D)

Emphyrio
08-09-14, 15:49
I'm considering voting yes, but the behaviour of many of the 'yes' campaigners has been atrocious. Maybe I'll just abstain in the end or spoil my ballot paper, who knows?

frazm88
08-09-14, 16:04
Being from Scotland and living here as well, I've found the "Yes" voters alot more pushy with their views, it started of with a few of them now the numbers have grown you can see them jumping on the slightest indecision and bullying people.

My view would be, keep it off social media and do what you feel is right, not one someone else has bullied you into.

Sunflower2
08-09-14, 18:02
I've actually found the opposite! In aberdeen if you even consider a yes sometimes people bombarding you with why it's a terrible idea. So I've been undecided and am still undecided because I don't like to be forced into my vote. I do listen to both sides and try to weigh it up myself. It's a tough one! All I know is that this is a very exciting time for scotland and I am proud to be Scottish! Either way I don't really mind because for me I think it's really made Westminster have to sit up and think, oh there are actually a lot of people in scotland who have opinions and want to be heard!

MyNameIsTerry
09-09-14, 03:11
The thing is though Kimberley, many English people would think the same about Westminster.

From what I have seen, its just too early for people to decide because there are far too many unanswered questions.

Is it that bad in Scotland that Westminster are shafting the Scottish more than the English? If the answer is no, I don't see there is much point other than to cost us all many millions for an exercise to please nationalists.

Sunflower2
09-09-14, 07:42
I agree with you Terry! I hope that it's made Westminster sit up enough to think oh, we need to listen to all of the people of the country. I saw on the news Wales also think about independence, because people are clearly not happy about the way the country is being run at the moment. I think it would be a really big shame leaving the union because it works pretty well together, but the difference between scotland and England is that we have the power to gain more attention from Westminster about making a change. I have a feeling that a lot of people might vote yes 'why not' so they can see some changes, without really thinking through the consequences. It also hasn't helped that the no campaign and the uk government are starting to panic and everyone here knows it! Everyone is starting to realise, oh they don't actually want us to leave!

swgrl09
09-09-14, 14:10
I have found that politics and social media never mix well. I try to avoid putting my views of American politics online anymore because you are opening yourself up to the abuse. It happens everywhere - people troll the internet and find something to argue about. So try not to take it personally, it happens to everybody.

MyNameIsTerry
10-09-14, 02:30
I have found that politics and social media never mix well. I try to avoid putting my views of American politics online anymore because you are opening yourself up to the abuse. It happens everywhere - people troll the internet and find something to argue about. So try not to take it personally, it happens to everybody.

Yeah, I've read online articles on US sites and I found that some of the comments were unbelievable. There are plenty of sensible people as well, but the fringe morons were extreme!

swgrl09
10-09-14, 02:37
I know, the comments are awful. It could be an article about walking your dog and somebody will comment about how the president is awful or whatever else. I don't read comments anymore on articles because I would get too annoyed!

MyNameIsTerry
10-09-14, 02:37
I agree with you Terry! I hope that it's made Westminster sit up enough to think oh, we need to listen to all of the people of the country. I saw on the news Wales also think about independence, because people are clearly not happy about the way the country is being run at the moment. I think it would be a really big shame leaving the union because it works pretty well together, but the difference between scotland and England is that we have the power to gain more attention from Westminster about making a change. I have a feeling that a lot of people might vote yes 'why not' so they can see some changes, without really thinking through the consequences. It also hasn't helped that the no campaign and the uk government are starting to panic and everyone here knows it! Everyone is starting to realise, oh they don't actually want us to leave!

They definately don't want you to go, it weakens their position and only tells Wales to plough on with their plans to separate.

I think you are right, some people will think its worth a go to try to get more from a deal to stay. Its a risky strategy though.

I think its the same though in England, its just we can't divorce ourselves from them. The current austerity drive will fuel it big time, but sadly thats happening due to the mismanagement of the last government. Perhaps there is a lesson in there for us all? Tony Blair was sold as the next great PM and he ran us into the ground while libing his pockets all the way...I'm sure their is much dodginess left to come out about him!

I don't know how the issue of listening to the people will ever be resolved. I live in an region that has been in decline for a long time ans services are poor. I tend to view elections from a "pick the one who will do the least damage" angle!

A saw in the papers that Gordon Brown has come forward asking for you to stay. Crikey, see you later then! Who needs one of the worst PM's in history to stick up for them? :doh:

Please don't take the Duke of Edinburgh off us though...his gaffs are the best part of the royals!

Rennie1989
10-09-14, 10:46
As an Englishwoman I wouldn't even declare who I voted in the local elections, let alone something on a more national scale. During the last local elections a lot of people where I used to work were heavily UKIP with a hint of BNP and there was no way that I would say who I supported.

In a way, what is happening in Scotland is like what is happening in Northern Ireland. You have half who want to be with the UK and the rest who want independence and these two groups are attacking each other for their opposite views. The referendum means a lot, it will change everybody's lives, so it's no wonder why people are passionate over the subject. It's just a shame that it's causing anarchy.

MyNameIsTerry
11-09-14, 02:57
Its the extreme members that always cause the problems. Now we have social media, its just made it worse although you have to remember with social media that not everyone is who they say they are and its not uncommon for professionals to manipulate it.

I have no issue declaring who I vote for, my parents though believe a vote is personal as you do Rennie. I've just found that there is no point who you vote for within the major parties, the tie might be a different colour but the motives of the individuals are the same. Everyone thought Tony Blair was a great guy, how little did we all know what he was getting up to!

Local elections in particular only warrant as much thought as decided on tonights meal for me. At the last one we didn't get any leaflets about the candidates so you just had your vote on the day. There had been no local campaigning.

Its a shame people have bought into UKIP. They took the tactic of stating what we already moan about yet they didn't say what they would do to resolve it. Somehow, they got away with that.

I hope you didn't have to work in a bigoted environment with open BNP supporters.

myloxyloto
12-09-14, 13:54
Im in Scotland too guys and I've witnessed on Facebook, Twitter, on the street and in our social circle, some terrible attitudes and abuse.... from both sides!!

I try and play peacekeeper and end up piggy in the middle try to avoid a argument breaking out...... Hence the referendum has sent my anxiety sky high :weep: and has reduced me to tears.

So I have done my postal vote and now staying well out of it... It's much worse when they have all had a few drinks in my honest opinion ;) :emot-drunk:

phil06
13-09-14, 14:47
Also want to talk about how anxious I'm getting feeling stressed and chest pains and worry about currency.

It's all very worrying. Is anybody else getting anxiety symptoms because of it?

MyNameIsTerry
14-09-14, 02:52
Not me Phil, but do you think it is just a matter of the unknown and how resistant we can be to change when we are struggling with anxiety?

Its unlikely to affect us in terms of currency and our leaders don't want to a credit union anyway which protects us from devaluation is Scottish spending & loans would have devalued due to mismanagement.

up a ladder
14-09-14, 09:47
Not me Phil, but do you think it is just a matter of the unknown and how resistant we can be to change when we are struggling with anxiety?

Its unlikely to affect us in terms of currency and our leaders don't want to a credit union anyway which protects us from devaluation is Scottish spending & loans would have devalued due to mismanagement.

I think the "unknown" element is key as it is amazing how the thought of change can affect our anxiety levels. I can remember my wife once suggesting she paint the bathroom and I was convinced it would cause a panic in me:wacko:.
It is worth remembering that everyone will quote the absolute worse and best of the changes as it will have more of an effect on the voters. Either way I very much doubt that it will cause a great change.
I wish them (you) all the best of British luck with it. I love Scotland as a place and have many happy memories of climbing around the mountains in my youth

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-14, 03:10
I think the "unknown" element is key as it is amazing how the thought of change can affect our anxiety levels. I can remember my wife once suggesting she paint the bathroom and I was convinced it would cause a panic in me:wacko:.
It is worth remembering that everyone will quote the absolute worse and best of the changes as it will have more of an effect on the voters. Either way I very much doubt that it will cause a great change.
I wish them (you) all the best of British luck with it. I love Scotland as a place and have many happy memories of climbing around the mountains in my youth

I can unstand that, at my worst even having a different meal than I would on that day of the way made me think the same.

I think we become quite obsessional in anxiety and engage in safety behaviours that protect us initially but later become frustrating boundaries that have the opposite effect.

Sunflower2
15-09-14, 22:38
Now that the vote is just days away I don't know what the rest of scotland is like but I'm finding I'm getting attacked from both sides! Yes no yes no! Everything is so negative! It's coming to the point where it's just the uk taking scotland to pieces about how miserably it's going to fail if we vote yes. And if we vote no then we are going to get huge funding cuts. And if we can't decide, just don't vote at all because that means you are incapable of making an informed decision! It's just so pessimistic and I don't know how something that should be positive - we are getting the chance to peacefully and democratically choose our future, something many many countries are fighting and killing each other for at this very moment. And we don't even realise this.

It's coming to the point where I'm going to choose the lesser of two evils and that isn't the way it should be. :(

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-14, 02:28
Thats always my view on elections anyway Kimberley, none of them are any good so pick the least damaging option.

I don't think there is a need to get attacked but its the people that are the problem so maybe research and make a decision and don't discuss it, especially on social media where saying how you like your eggs can end up with hate thrown at you over nothing.

Personally, and I have no vote as I'm English, I couldn't vote to leave when there are so many unanswered questions. For instance, currency which Salmond has no policy on and members of his party have stated they believe the major parties are bluffing over. So, they are willing to base the peoples votes on bluffs? They should have a formal policy ready that you can review and decide upon. Anything less means they can't be bothered.

You guys should have had all these questions answered months ago so you can make an informed decision. As it stands, you are having to take a guess.

Sunflower2
17-09-14, 21:32
The thing with this referendum is that the media and both campaigns completely dramatise everything. It's brought out the worst flaws in both plans and is really starting to turn ugly. I'm just glad that tomorrow it will be over and we will have something to work towards. The press is bad enough in Scotland so I hate to think what the rest of the uk media is communicating about it!

Either way Scotland isn't going to be destroyed. Like anxiety, everything and everyone finds a way to cope in adversity. Things won't stay the same and maybe that's good or maybe that's bad but I think the most important thing is that we are being given a choice to decide our future. Both choices can work in some shape or form, but which one to pick is dependent on personal opinion and what is important to the individual voter. I also hope that it's a turning point for the uk government in general to shake things up!

I hope every resident of Scotland on no more panic is voting tomorrow. It's the most important vote we have been given maybe ever!

MyNameIsTerry
18-09-14, 02:53
Wasnt there a lak a couple of days ago, theres going to be half a billion worth of NHS cuts if you leave the uK, due to the fact you cant sustain the NHS without England, something I saw that the NO campaign had gotten hold of apprently thanks to a "whistle blower"

I hadn't seen this but had heard something similiar because Scotland has the worst health in Europe in certain age ranges. They said that certain age brackets were draining resources.

Salmond has promised a 3% year on year increase in spending and he wn't say how he plans to achieve that...put taxes up maybe?

---------- Post added at 02:53 ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 ----------

The thing with this referendum is that the media and both campaigns completely dramatise everything. It's brought out the worst flaws in both plans and is really starting to turn ugly. I'm just glad that tomorrow it will be over and we will have something to work towards. The press is bad enough in Scotland so I hate to think what the rest of the uk media is communicating about it!

Either way Scotland isn't going to be destroyed. Like anxiety, everything and everyone finds a way to cope in adversity. Things won't stay the same and maybe that's good or maybe that's bad but I think the most important thing is that we are being given a choice to decide our future. Both choices can work in some shape or form, but which one to pick is dependent on personal opinion and what is important to the individual voter. I also hope that it's a turning point for the uk government in general to shake things up!

I hope every resident of Scotland on no more panic is voting tomorrow. It's the most important vote we have been given maybe ever!

The trouble is that the voting is so tight, there is going to be a large volume of Scottish people annoyed eitherway. Why isn't there a margin for a Yes vote anyway, like we have in the general elections?

Like a keep saying to people, unless Salmond answers the important questions, are you really using your vote sensibly? I would argue no and I would be voting No until he could be bothered to answer these questions and then I would be able to decide whether to go or stay.

I don't think the media I've seen has been bad. I've read a few articles and there is a mixture of UK pro and Scottish pro but nothing more than the usual digs. Social media is always far worse because thats whats social media has been allowed to become. Whether its Scottish independence or who you are voting for in Big Brother, social media is full of people attacking each other. Thats why I don't use Facebook or Twitter and come to sensible forums like this.

Anyway Kimberley, if Salmond makes a mess of it all...just force another referendum on him to vote to rejion the union.

MyNameIsTerry
19-09-14, 02:15
It affects so many things. Since no one knows anything about currency it means no one has a clue about the value of their pensions & investments.

It will take a while to fully implement as there are some real logistics issues when you consider the emergency services, military and how people will continue to travel across the border if they commute for work.

How many millions, tens of millions or maybe 100's of millions is it going to cost to do it all? Since its a breakup we will share the cost as well and we never even asked for it! So, even our services and taxes will take a hit.

MyNameIsTerry
19-09-14, 07:44
Phew, its over now but I would say you will see a fair bit of mud slinging so its perhaps best to stay away from where that was all going on.

Anyway, glad you are all staying!!!

Something that I found very disappointing was Alec Salmonds reluctance to appear at his count though. Was there a reasom for it?:

The First Minister - whose failure to attend his local count in Aberdeenshire led to early speculation that Yes Scotland was heading for defeat - accepted in a speech at 6.15am before a One Scotland banner in Edinburgh that the country did not want independence "at this stage".

phil06
19-09-14, 13:57
Got two hours sleep last night and have to go to work not fun hope I'm ok and not too anxious with lack of sleep..

Carnation
19-09-14, 19:48
I purposely don't want to comment way or another, but I don't want to lose my friends!!!!!

Sunflower2
19-09-14, 21:01
I've been staying neutral the whole time up to the referendum because I don't want to start any arguments anywhere! I was actually undecided up till I went to vote yesterday and got to the ballot booth and thought, oh goodness I don't actually know which one to pick!!

Scotland I think on the whole has been very peaceful since finding out the result. Which to me is actually quite surprising! I think this proves that the thing we all have in common is wanting to be part of change in our country. It is a common theme for everyone across Britain too so I hope and wish everyone could work together and make their voices heard! Yeah the independence was risky, but it also marks the beginning of a new chapter for Britain I hope and we are still all in this together.