PDA

View Full Version : How to respond to body woes with a good attitude?

TofuMama
08-09-14, 04:43
I realize now that I have a few little issues. My leading problems are pretty simple problems:

- My digestion is poor, loose stool and what seems like IBS. The usual for people with pretty nasty health anxiety.
- I get regular palpitations, I didn't for a while, but now I do every day quite a number of times.
- I've had some general throat dryness/discomfort for a few months.
- I have a fast heart rate. This is my biggest problem, although it's mostly <90, when I try to exercise, I can barely move without it being exacerbated.

Ultimately, these are all part and parcel of having a body under a little stress. However, my response to each of these issues is inappropriate, and I'm not sure how to control it. I can remember when I had palpitations for the first time how the conversation went with my mother.

"Mum, today at school I had this weird thing. I was sitting there then my heart started like.. hiccuping. I have no idea, it felt like it just beat like a big BLOOP instead of a regular beat. What's that?"
"Oh that's just in the family, it's called a palpitation. It's nothing to worry about. it can't hurt."
"Oh alright, can we get a milkshake?"

My reaction was fine. I accepted the palpitations, and I'd had a few, but I didn't really care. And they went away. Nowadays though, the internal conversation is much different.

My body reacts in a manner I deem completely out of line, whether I've had a very uncomfortable BM, I wake up with my throat too dry to speak, I have a tummy ache, or palpitations / fast heart rate. I find myself constantly in a state of agitation, exacerbated massively by any symptoms.

I'm not really sure how to control my reaction. I get very upset with myself whenever I have any minor issue. Hell even now I have a sore neck in both of the long muscles at the side/back and I've gone through all sorts of ridiculous thoughts.

I want to respond better to these problems, because they really aren't meant to be much, but to me, I'm in in constant fear and worry about all of them, and I am not sure at all how to relax. Does anyone have any tips that will help me regain control over my emotional response to general pain/symptoms?

TofuMama
08-09-14, 22:04
Amusing somewhat that I make plenty of threads about symptoms that people respond to with reassurance, but when I ask for how to tackle it, I get lots of views but no responses.

That's very telling, given that I'm sure most people here also suffer with exactly the same mental process! We need a knight in shining armour with tips on how to stay positive. ;)

Fishmanpa
08-09-14, 22:16
It's because the answer will be the same as has been recommended to many others. Therapy, CBT, meds or a combination thereof is a start. I also think that the lack of response is two fold. Those that have dug themselves out of it move on and the rest are still in the pits and don't know or cannot do so.

I have real physical issues. The side effects alone are a HA sufferers nightmare! How do I deal with it? Well first off, I don't suffer with HA, just a bit of GAD and depression. I deal with it with a chill pill when needed, therapy when needed and CBT as well as other positive habits I've picked up on over the years. The biggest aspect is accepting and recognizing the real issue and then work at it. It's a process, one foot in front of the other. You will have blips and there will be rough days but you have to keep on going. I read positive quotes, and laugh as much as I can. I do things to distract myself (like play my guitar or go for a walk). It's hard work but it can be done.

The bottom line is you have to "learn" how to react better. Just like there are no short cuts to getting in shape, it's much the same for anxiety. There is no one pill or magic tip that works and each person is different in what works fro them. You have to start somewhere and the first part of any journey begins with one step forward.

Positive thoughts

cpe1978
08-09-14, 22:26
I think FMP is right. But I think there are a number of reasons.

- Unfortunately most people who post on here are not in a position where they want to, or are ready to tackle their anxiety. They are still in a space where asking about symptoms seems completely logical.

- There is quite a throughput of posters on here. That leads me to believe that for the most part people over time realise how to feel better. I know that to be true with at least a few people who have had eureka moments and realised that perhaps the advice they were given wasn't so crazy :)

- People who feel better, particularly those who suffered form HA feel less inclined to post on a forum that reminds them of where they used to be. Others, me included forget to come on here now that HA is no longer so much of an issue. That said I do try and pop in from time to time and respond to things that I can.

- When people do try and create posts that offer advice regarding recovery from anxiety, there seem to be relative few people willing to keep the conversation going. For example, I created a couple of posts recently which took quite a while to write, but they drop like the proverbial stone through the pages. A good ol' poo thread though will run and run.

I don't have time to write a lengthy response now, although you can check my recent posts for my thoughts, but my main thought is to be proactive, have a plan, be flexible and make recovery from your anxiety your number one, most important priority. My money is that gravity of reaction will soon follow.