PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotherapy - does it work for GAD?

Fussycat
08-09-14, 05:21
I have recently had a session of hypnotherapy for GAD. Has anyone else tried this and did it work?

mr benn
24-09-14, 20:48
A question i have been pondering myself. Im really struggling with my GAD and starting to clutch at straws . Im just concerned if there could be any bad effects of trying hypnotherapy ? (he he , such negative thinking).
I guess my Doc will dissuade me as they dont like any sort of strict medicine.

Seamus Ireland
24-09-14, 23:21
Hello,
Unfortunately Hypnotherapy is a short term sticky plaster which relies on the Placebo effect, Psychotherapy would be much more beneficial by getting to the roots of the problem. Hypnotherapy is excellent for treating simple Phobias etc but not for something more complicated such as GAD.

I wish you good Health :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-14, 04:14
A question i have been pondering myself. Im really struggling with my GAD and starting to clutch at straws . Im just concerned if there could be any bad effects of trying hypnotherapy ? (he he , such negative thinking).
I guess my Doc will dissuade me as they dont like any sort of strict medicine.

There have been articles published including the NHS about poorly regulated hypnotherapists causing more distress which I took to mean that they exposed more problems which they then didn't go onto resolve in therapy but it was ages ago when I read that. The same can be said about psychotherapy though if the therapist isn't very good...but then counselling & psychotherapy is not regulated currently either.

MrAndy
25-09-14, 09:12
I tried it and it was hilarious ,the bloke couldnt put me under so just spoke to me for an hour while my eyes were closed it was just embarrassing and a waste of time
You would be better of spending your money on a good cbt based therapist.

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-14, 09:25
I tried it and it was hilarious ,the bloke couldnt put me under so just spoke to me for an hour while my eyes were closed it was just embarrassing and a waste of time

Sounds like an unscrupulous practitioner then. If he couldn't get you relaxed then he should have called it quits really but it sounds more like this guy wanted to collect his fee no matter what.

MyNameIsTerry
26-09-14, 04:43
Hello,
Unfortunately Hypnotherapy is a short term sticky plaster which relies on the Placebo effect, Psychotherapy would be much more beneficial by getting to the roots of the problem. Hypnotherapy is excellent for treating simple Phobias etc but not for something more complicated such as GAD.

I wish you good Health :yesyes:

Hi Seamus,

I think I spotted your intro thread that said you had qualified in hypnotherapy so can I ask what your opinion is of Pure Hypnoanalysis? It seems to use more sessions and in some way compares to the number of sessions in CBT.

Mark13
19-10-14, 16:35

My experience was exactly the same, it cost me £60 8 years ago to feel embarrassed.

That said, I'm trying hypnotherapy mp3's / CDs for relaxation and weight loss. I think it can be relaxing (for me) but I've never felt remotely hypnotised.

Then again, maybe I'm expecting too much.

MyNameIsTerry
20-10-14, 06:42
My experience was exactly the same, it cost me £60 8 years ago to feel embarrassed.

That said, I'm trying hypnotherapy mp3's / CDs for relaxation and weight loss. I think it can be relaxing (for me) but I've never felt remotely hypnotised.

Then again, maybe I'm expecting too much.

Its very similiar to meditation really, the only difference being that the hypnotherapist is trying to talk to your subconscious mind as opposed to how guided meditation talks to your conscious mind to give instruction.

Self hypnosis is more similiar to meditation really.

I wonder whether people expect to be in an uncontrolled trance like we would see on the TV in the "now quack like a duck" type shows but in reality you are full control and can come out of it at any time, just like in relaxation techniques and meditation.

SarahH
20-10-14, 17:25
I gave it a go..it didn't work, but I know others that have benefitted

Sarah