PDA

View Full Version : Can stress make your fears come true?

worried Laura
08-09-14, 23:29
Hi everyone my problem started 7 months ago with a vibrating foot, I worried it would be a nerve problem and would cause lots of pain and keep me up all night ( I have anxiety about not sleeping) so I stopped going the gym and doing sports plus having fun! Anyway my worst fears started as I stared getting sharp pain in my left Si joint with some nerve pain in leg. Anyway this keeps happening on and off but luckily can sleep! Keep worrying that this is going to happen at night, Had MRI no disk problems, anyway move forward in time, now I have it really bad happens at night, worst when I lie down, sharp stabbing pain in back of thigh also calf! Anyway I'm wanting to know can stress and worrying about something make it happen? Seems strange as this was my big fear and now I'm living it. Doctor doesn't want to know and won't look into Si joint problems!! So fed up can stress and anxiety cause sciatica and are fears to come true?.

RoseEve
09-09-14, 02:49
No that's what physcologists would call "magical thinking". However your mind can play tricks on you. If I told you that my pinky finger hurt and I had some terrible disease you would pay attention to your pinky and soon you would imagine it hurt. Not that imagined pain isn't painful but it's caused by your mind not your body.

worried Laura
09-09-14, 09:13
Thanks RoseEve :)

Brunette
09-09-14, 11:30
No.

If you could focus on something and make it come true most people would have won millions on the lottery by now.

worried Laura
09-09-14, 12:49
Brunette I don't mean like that, I never really explained my post propbely I ment if you worry about something so much (I have OCD) can your mind create the symptoms because that's all your thinking about. :wacko:

wnsos
09-09-14, 13:19
I feel like it might be able to! Just as an example, I hadn't had a single twitch in my body until I started reading something about the ice bucket challenge the other day, then the remainder of the day I kept getting twitches all over the place. I was like oh you have to be kidding me :doh: I think I rationalised it pretty well. Xx Hope this helps ease you a little!

Rennie1989
09-09-14, 13:32
Yes, if you obsess over it enough your body can start to mimic symptoms that you worry about. Once I had an extreme worry that I had something wrong with my uterus, for a month I had cramps. Once the worry went so did the cramps. Same when my mole removal went wrong and I started getting pains, once the doctor saw it the pain went.

worried Laura
09-09-14, 15:47
Thanks wnsos and Rennie it's good to hear other people's stories. Going to try and not think about it and see how it goes.:)

firecracker777
22-09-14, 17:24
I absolutely think so!