PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding gums - Leukaemia?

lb76696
09-09-14, 09:11
I've been worried about leukaemia for months now. I keep getting unexplained bruising. It was mostly on my legs but I had some on my chest recently which is worrying. All blood tests I've had since March have shown a low white blood cell count. My peripheral blood smear showed some reactive lymphocytes, but otherwise unremarkable (don't know if reactive lymphocytes are found in leukaemia?). I had a bad back this week and have developed a cold. Worringly, the past few days I've noticed my gums bleed when I brush my teeth. Does this happen with anyone else?

Rennie1989
09-09-14, 09:20
Or it could be gingivitis (gum disease)?

If you've had suspected leukaemia since March without treatment then you'd be VERY ill by now. Some people naturally bruise easily, you only have to look at my mother to give her a wacking great big bruise! Also, there is a cold going around because kids are going back to school and sharing their germs around.

Cags48
09-09-14, 15:37
My gums bleed dentist said its gum disease :(

swgrl09
09-09-14, 15:51
My husband always has his gums bleed. Just means you need to floss or brush better.

lb76696
10-09-14, 12:39
Now my nose really hurts to touch. It basically feels bruised. Now I know I'm going to have a nose bleed and will chalk it up to leukaemia.

ShaunRyder
10-09-14, 13:20
I've had bleeding gums over the years and surprisingly its the only thing that I have not worried about :blush: but of course I understand your anxiety kicking in, like others have said maybe gum disease or maybe just brushing teeth to hard, try Corsodyl mouth wash, treats gum diseases/ulcers/mouth sores and cuts etc. Or also maybe a softer brush could ease tension on the gums.

Rennie1989
10-09-14, 13:22
Have you been picking/playing with your nose too much?

Fj2014
10-09-14, 14:03
I had this exact fear a few months back but over high white cells - they went back to normal and I did a first aid course where the guy told me that you will bleed/bruise more easily if your blood vessels are close to the surface - which yours probably are so don't worry - like someone said you'd be waaay too ill to be sat here writing about your gums if you had leukemia.

Relax and get some mouthwash - you'll be reet :bighug1:

paul78
10-09-14, 15:27
My friends gums bleed always when brushing its normal but may be gum disese and not that thing ur thinking about.

Fishmanpa
10-09-14, 16:36
In light of all tests being of no concern, how do bleeding gums turn in leukemia? :huh:

Bleeding gums are a sign of periodontal issues.

Positive thoughts

Rosiebee87
10-09-14, 22:41
Please don't worry. I had bleeding gums last week. Salt water and brush gentle and give it a week should go away like my did. If all else fails a trip to the dentist.

As for bruises I'm always getting unexplained ones but most the time we forget little bangs that we have!! X