PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate heart rate response to exercise

TofuMama
09-09-14, 15:15
Hey guys,

For the past few years I've gone from athletic to sedentary because of my anxiety, but since around March 2013 I've had a lot of trouble with my heart rate. Before that point, it'd max at around 200 on serious physical exertion.

But at some point I noticed a fast heart rate. Being in the car it'd be like 90. Now I just have this extreme response no matter what I do.

Eating gets me to around 95. Light/Moderate exercise gets me to 170. I am not having any sustained panic attacks, although I do feel agitated. My lungs are breathing well, my muscles feel fine. My heart rate is just rapid with no other symptoms.

Is anxiety most likely the primary cause of this issue? And if so, is there any way to respond to this to lower my heart rate? I tried exercising for about a week, but my heart rate would hover around 140-150 on minimal exertion and it just scared me far too much for me to feel comfortable continuing.

Junot
09-09-14, 16:16
I think anxiety is most likely the underlying cause of it. Before taking beta-blockers my heart rate would get inappropriately high in response to exercise and at rest. If I were you I would talk to my doctor to assess the issue and act accordingly.

NotCool
09-09-14, 23:41
Normally I wouldn't tell you to do it, but since it regards exercise and heart combination, I think that getting a cardio exam if possible is a wise step before doing any exercise. Obviously, it's completely possible that your high HR is the result of you being out of shape and anxiety on a conscious/subconscious level.

Now I know well how uncomfortable it is to try picking up/developing an exercise habit after living in a sedentary lifestyle for a (too) long of a time. When I started, the normal physical sensation of running (fast heart rate, adrenaline, even dizziness) was really scaring me, but slowly and surely you get used to it, and after a while, your mind stops equalizing the feeling of anxiety with the normal physical consequences of any exercise, and you start getting in shape.

It's well worth it in the long run, so don't give up.

TofuMama
10-09-14, 01:28
Cheers for the response. I suppose 'subconscious' makes sense.

For me, I like anxiety to be part of my logical process. If I'm laying around, worried as hell, hyperventilating, and then it's followed by palpitations and sweating and the likes, I know it's anxiety. It makes sense.

It's when I'm controlling my physical response well, and yet still generate the symptoms that I'm extremely upset. I'll become very agitated sometimes, but if anxiety really can be a disorder of the subconscious, I'd happily accept that, given that I've had so many physical exams, and they've shown no trouble.