PDA

View Full Version : Work anxiety-- need tips

Lyn89
11-09-14, 07:10
So I still love my job and am doing pretty great, but i have some intense training/events coming up which could mean 12 hour shifts for a few days and that's worrying me. I don't really know how to cope with that, and I'm scared working for that amount of time with little rest in between will set off some horrible anxiety symptoms or I just won't be able to handle it and I'll lose my job. I know plenty of other amazing people work that long (nurses, pilots, firemen) so I feel like I'm whinging, but any tips or help you guys know of for coping with this kind of thing with anxiety would be wonderful. Thank you!

Deborah81
11-09-14, 07:38
Long shifts may be a struggle but if you feel a panic coming on, take time out go find a quite spot and just take some deep breaths, remember that you e done this job a million times before and you've got through it before! I am currently sitting on my bed waiting to walk to work, I had a panick attack yesterday (at work) infront of everyone so in scared/embarrassed to go in, but you've gotta go with the attitude of f*ck it
Hope you can get over what your going through I know exactly how you feel!
Chin up x

James1983
11-09-14, 08:20
I feel like this all the time. I do shift work but im lucky in that it is rare for me to do the full 8 hours. i had my first panic attack at work 4 years ago and was off sick for 3 months. i get anxious going to work but i struggle through somehow. the thought of having to be in one place for a long while makes me nervous but the thought of it is worse than the doing. try to relax and occupy your mind into your work.

Lyn89
11-09-14, 21:32
Thank you both for the words of encouragement. I'm lucky enough to say I've never had a panic attack, but I do worry consistently and get very anxious. I'll try and keep what you've said in mind next week, thank you again :)