PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin with Seroxat 30mg?

PartyTime
11-09-14, 14:28
I'm poised to add Pregabalin to Seroxat which has pooped out after many years.

I have not got a clue what dose I'll be offered and am scared witless on two fronts.

this could make my depression worse
the interactions of the two drugs?
dosage
do I taper the seroxat or wait with fingers crossed for stabilisation?

My gut feeling is to give it a go. Who knows? Any experience out there would be welcomed.
I cannot believe the mess I have got myself in to. If anybody is interested , I introduced myself on the 'welcome' thread.

Thanks in advance

KK77
11-09-14, 14:45
I take Pregabalin with an antidepressant and have no problems. Bit of dizziness initially which went after a week.

Think you'll be better off taking it with Paroxetine at current dose and therefore also avoid withdrawals, which having been on it in the past, know how much it sucks. I've found it to be a good med for GAD but not depression, as it's not indicated for that. Good luck.

PartyTime
11-09-14, 15:28
Much appreciated KK.
I feel that my depression is anxiety driven in any event.
I realise that we're all different but I would be interested in your dosages - also what is the partnering AD?
Also, do you intend to take the pregabalin long term?
One step at a time I guess...

KK77
11-09-14, 19:43
I take 150mg Prg twice daily and 100mg sertraline. I tried to change AD recently but had adverse reaction so looks like I'm stuck on these meds for foreseeable future. I was on 600mg Prg at one point but it was causing a lot of fatigue so reduced. Works quickly, unlike SSRIs.

I remember having a lot of tiredness on Seroxat and unfortunately it pooped out on me. Didn't rate it much for anxiety but OK for depression. That's why I think augmenting an AD with Prg works well.

hanshan
12-09-14, 01:15
You can combine pregabalin with an antidepressant. There should be no need to reduce the AD dose, but start the pregabalin at a low dose spread over the day. Pregabalin reduces anxiety - I'm not aware of it contributing to depression in any way. Good luck!

PartyTime
12-09-14, 10:51
Many thanks for your replies KK2613 and hanshan
They provide me with some hope. I find it so difficult to differentiate which monster is the key driver here. The anxiety or black dog.
Since been signed off work, the shame and the general decline into malaise and sometimes sheer terror suggests that the pregabalin could hopefully get me on the right track. I fear a bumpy ride. I do try and be positive, breathe right and try to engage with the being mind but find it so hard.
The fact that i'm constantly trying to 'run away' suggests anxiety?
Again, big thanks. It means so much to me
And, of course,I hope you two are well

PartyTime
13-09-14, 12:06
Ok - good morning to all,and an update for those interested.Apologies if this is a repeat of similar experiences

I started on 50mg pregabalin (x 3/day yesterday) along with my seroxat - my doc wants to switch me to setraline with taper eventually.

I certainly feel the effects. Unless it was placebo in effect I felt 'something' within hours. A gentle lowering of my anxiety perhaps?

I went to bed at normal time(although my sleep pattern is all over the place), read until 1am (staying away from my psych. books on my kindle) and slept solid until 10am.

This morning, my anxiety has disappeared:yes yes: My depression is god knows where:unsure:. I certainly do feel disassociated but I don't really care. My wife has disappeared into town with kids under a bit of a cloud. I did try explaining to her how I feel but I know she is tired of me.I do feel more 'chatty' Our relationship was strained/lost before my decline, although we are both signed up to salvage it

I feel slightly stoned and unsteady.

I would like to go to the gym but not too confident to get in my car. I need to remind myself it's early days. Maybe I should pick up my guitar , try and relax, be selfish as usual and just go with it.:unsure:

I do not feel 'life ready' and I carry so much guilt around this fact

Apologies if this is jumbled, but in conclusion , on the whole, this is an improvement

EDIT- I broke my ankle four years ago and still have (nerve?) pain in the talus area. The pregabalin has lessened this pain somewhat

NinjaKitty
13-09-14, 13:39
HI Partytime
I have been prescribed Pregabalin 50mg 2xdaily, one during the day and one at night, took my 1st dose last night at 10pm (i was scared to take it at teh same time as my mirtazapine which i take at 8/9pm every night) I lay and read my kindle like you did last night till around 11, got up and made some cereal as i was hungry (i usually do this as my appetite during the day is bad)
By 11.30pm i took my sleeping meds (nitrazepam 10mg) and was asleep within 10 minutes and woke up today around 9.30/10am.

I was told to take my daytime dose with breakfast, but i have just taken it at 1pm as i didnt feel confortable taking it at 10am, but my psych did say i can take the doses at whenever as long as they are 4-6 hours apart.

I'm having a few same feelilngs as you, bit stoned/tired but not in a horrible way I do however feel the need to go and nap this afternoon which i will probably do around 2.30 when my little girl has a nap.

Only other funny feeling i am having is a very very mild tingle in my head like on my scalp but I am putting that down too my anxiety and not the med.

Good to hear you feel a bit better and it's good to know Im starting my journey along with someone else at the same time

Keep us updated and I'll look forward to reading your posts about your experience.

Good Luck and i hope the dopey feeling wears off soon, my psych did tell me it can take a week or 2 for that stoned/slightly drunk feeling to go away.

Kitty x

PartyTime
14-09-14, 01:32
So far so good, but what worries me is the reports that this can wear off.
I can't sleep now though:unsure:
This freaking roller coaster has caught me out time and time again. It gets boring at best. At worst, well sadly, some of you know.
Kitty, hope you had a good day and sleeping well
I have a feeling that the nasty person quota on here is very low to non existent, even though we sometimes treat ourselves like something horrid on our shoes.

Hugs to all X

SmilingAlbert
14-09-14, 11:30
It should help with sleep Party, if only as a result of lowering the anxiety that keeps us awake with our thoughts. Don't worry about the wearing off thing - this seems only to affect some, and at Day 2, you are way too early to worry about that!

PartyTime
14-09-14, 23:02
Thanks Albert
the black dog is back today though. Why can't it go and fetch me and my zest back?
Anxiety relatively at bay though and no SEs as yet.
Depression or anxiety.It's hard to chose between the two. I might produce a Venn Diagram tomorrow on another sick day. And then celebrate the overlaps
Keep smiling

PartyTime
15-09-14, 15:37
Damn. Feel like I am regressing again. Anxiety increasing, albeit, not as extreme. Friends and family want me to go out/want to visit me. No go zone.
Wife due in with kids soon. Dreading it.
Due back at work in 2 weeks but right now this just appears insane - seeing colleagues (some of whom I will have to manage etc)
Feel such an oddity.

Only day three on pregabalin and only on 3x50mg - haven't really established a steady time regime. I'm even failing to do that. I can iron and occasionally even ventured into the garden to hang the washing out. Listening to 6 music and wishing I could go with the flow and enjoy the music like 'normal' people can - just getting on with life and functioning ; calmly contributing to this mad world

Sorry to vent.

PartyTime
16-09-14, 09:37
Calmer today.

Karma? Not that I understand this concept.
I'm going to dump some stuff in words today and hope that it has a cathartic effect. Don't worry, I won't clog it up on here

SmilingAlbert
16-09-14, 14:52
Vent away! that's what this place is here for. It's early days on your new meds so keep your fingers crossed. Are you doing exercise?

That should always help - something vigorous and tiring: swimming, running etc. Something to focus away from your head...

PartyTime
16-09-14, 17:36
Cheers Albert and yes!
Made it to the gym today!
Fitness levels at an all time low but his gives me something to work on.
Better day without a doubt. Thanks for your advice

keggsy
16-09-14, 19:48
Keep going PT.
Keep us posted as you improve which I'm sure you will.

PartyTime
18-09-14, 13:45
Oh no! The slightest blip is sending me into an anxious tailspin. Only on day 6 at 3*50mg so perhaps too early to gauge. Dose increase? Been refried back to my GP who i see in a week's time. I realise that 300mg is the suggested therapeutic level but, I don't know. Not sure anybody does really in this game of chance?

EDIT. refried to referred fwiw!

PS - constantly sucking on my e cig is probably not helping. Why do I do this?

keggsy
18-09-14, 20:08
Still early days.
My 1 x 75mg has not quelled the evening anxiety I get markedly yet.
Plenty more scope to up the dose.
See my gp end of next week.

PartyTime
18-09-14, 20:54
Good luck Keggsy.Possible increase on the cards for you?
I 'm not sure what to do. Bed is the only place i feel safe. Usually alone too. Don't tell the wife
I just want to get back to 'normality' . I'm constantly questioning my ability to cope back at work where I have to manage people. I've done it before for years, but at present, i cannot even begin to face the challenge. I'm even finding it tough to engage with my family
I know, CBT, mindfulness etc. but i'm failing at that. It's like, beyond my mind. I know it's the unconscious mind that I need to explore but I can't seem to escape my chattering thoughts and am just left with this tape recording of failure and severely low self esteem
Who knows, morning may bring a glimpse of light and my former self?
I always hope for this - I often dread waking to face the disappointment .
Me, me ,me. So self centred!

keggsy
18-09-14, 21:03
Can relate to plenty of what you are saying, especially the incessant head chatter.
Going back to work after I was at my lowest did help me.

SarahH
19-09-14, 12:01
Just spotted this thread....PartyTime, I am on 3x100mgs Prg and 20 megs of Citalopram a day. My anxiety triggers depression as well. My sleep is much better when I am on the correct dose of pregablin. I was on 400 a day for a year then felt it was beginning to wear off so started on the Cit again, which after a few months tapering upwards semis to be the right combination for me. I have tried to reduce the pregabalin but have noticed when I do my anxiety creeps back again. So at the moment I have the right balance. Don't be scared to go up the doses with pregabalin the SEs are not so severe as when you first start taking it and pass more quickly.
There are some strange SEs, like not being able to hand write things on paper and even sometimes struggling to type! But these pass with time. I would say DONT ruch back to work too soon.... its not worth it!

Sarah

PartyTime
19-09-14, 13:00
Sarah
many thanks for your reply.
I guess I may be rushing things here.
It's the shame and the fear of relapse hindering my return to work and 'normal' life. I seem to be over reacting to the slightest blip. Not screaming or anything like that. not crying. Just existing as a blob- with nothing positive to say or contribute until a minor issue ramps up my mind into a racing mess. Psych. informs me I'm not bi polar in my 20 minute screening
I'm just hoping for one moment that gels with my heart and triggers a feeling of 'wow ,that was OK, I'm alive'. It's been months since I experienced that. I'm just so numb.
Right now though , i feel fairly calm, but very anti social. Not in a misanthropic way - I just really want to belong again. On paper, I have everything to live for. I just happen to have lost the script
Again, thanks so much for the post and I hope you continue on your recovery

aprilmoon
19-09-14, 13:23
Hi
I'm on different meds to you,but I just wanted to empathize with the "numb" feeling.
I don't feel depressed any more,and my anxiety level is right down,but my emotions feel really dampened,and although I'm grateful in many ways,I wish I could feel more 'normal'.
I hope things keep improving for you :)

PartyTime
21-09-14, 00:51
Hopefully my recent relapse is due to a 'normal' illness.I've come down with a cold/chest infection. Am mighty relieved tbh.
Good luck all

PS edit and more moaning. Just where the hell did I get this infection from? I've barely left the house in months!
I'm going to my GP tomorrow and going to suggest an increase to 300mg spread throughout the day.Something tells me this is the way to go - the next shake of the dice

SmilingAlbert
21-09-14, 22:31
raise in dose might do the trick - good luck!

NinjaKitty
22-09-14, 12:02
Hopefully my recent relapse is due to a 'normal' illness.I've come down with a cold/chest infection. Am mighty relieved tbh.
Good luck all

PS edit and more moaning. Just where the hell did I get this infection from? I've barely left the house in months!
I'm going to my GP tomorrow and going to suggest an increase to 300mg spread throughout the day.Something tells me this is the way to go - the next shake of the dice

Staying in the house for long periods of time your breathing recirculated air and if you haven;t been out you can catch any cold flu infection at the drop of a hat, I was house bound for 6 months and i ended up with Flu for 3 weeks and a chest infection (1st chest infection i have ever had ) My dr's did point out that spending too much time inside obviously reduces your vit D levels which then leads to feeling crappy, maybe try a multivitamin suppliment with vit D and minerals as well.

Hope you feel better soon

Kitty xx

PartyTime
29-09-14, 09:55
Apologies for not logging in for a while.
I hope you all are as well as can be
I suppose that this does suggest that I am improving. At least, I think I am.
Now on 3x75mg since last wednesday.
Still have 'the jitters' but nowhere near the off the planet extent of a month ago .

I do feel that I should request a raise to 100mg and see if that helps further. Blimey, I am so much better, so do not want to appear ungrateful .

The plan is to switch my seroxat to setraline ( this needs a tapering plan - still to be confirmed) but I feel that I should stabilise on the pregabalin initially.

I have had the odd foray to the gym. My appetite is good but has not increased beyond my pre illness days. I am now waiting to balloon and bloat out and getting paranoid about this! There's no pleasing me is there.

Am also delighted to see that my fellow travellers appear to be making good progress (Keggsy, Teej, Ninja Kitty - good luck and love to you all)

In conclusion,to date, this has been a lifeline

teej
29-09-14, 10:47
Hiya PartyTime,

Hope you're doing okay.

Pregabalin for me has been the best drug I've taken for anxiety. I took it for 4 days initially and stopped because I was so paranoid about side effects. I have an eating disorder so was also convinced I was going to balloon.

Eventually one day I was just lying in bed, I'd missed work and was just crippled with anxiety and I decided to try it again. I think I initially decided to just jump in with both feet and take 150mg. Within two hours I was up, out of bed and cycling to work.

I really quickly ramped up to 600mg too - I've had no problems with side effects at all. My cognition is as good as it's ever been (so not great) and I don't seem to forget words or anything like that. In terms of physical effects I've had none - I'm back out cycling with the club at the weekends and can easily keep up.

I'm also 10 days into a complete withdrawal from Mirtazapine - something which I don't think I could have ever coped with without the Pregabalin.

Good luck PartyTime ... you're on the right road. PM me if you've got any more questions.

T

hanshan
29-09-14, 10:57
Hello PartyTime,

So good to hear that pregabalin seems to be having a positive effect. Hang in there! As things look better, it helps you make other positive changes.

Also, the potential is there to go up to 600 mg per day, if you feel it helps. Most people spend some time finding the level that is right for them .

Good luck!

PartyTime
30-09-14, 09:37
Sincere thanks to all for the support and advice.
The warmth is reciprocated
It really helps me feel less alone with this.
Perhaps I should just forget the ingestion of meds(once down the hatch) and start living again

PartyTime
02-10-14, 06:57
Increased dose to 5 X 75mg per day following latest GP appt.
2 in morning, 1 lunch, 2 at night. 375mg per day
Need to establish timely regime. Makes sense to evaluate new dose and if OK try and settle on 3 times 150mg tabs?
Ah, such a lottery...

hanshan
02-10-14, 10:57
Once you have established the daily dose that is optimal for you (it can take some time), you can probably drop down taking pregabalin to twice a day.

PartyTime
04-10-14, 12:33
Thanks for you advice hanshan.
Lyrica appears to be available in a good variety of doses?

Woke up in jittery mode this morning. Not sure if it's because I'm going out in an attempt to be sociable today

KK77
04-10-14, 14:44
Increased dose to 5 X 75mg per day following latest GP appt.
2 in morning, 1 lunch, 2 at night. 375mg per day
Need to establish timely regime. Makes sense to evaluate new dose and if OK try and settle on 3 times 150mg tabs?
Ah, such a lottery...

I've increased to 150mg tid (3x150mg). Think this might be better for you too and then you can always drop back to 150mg bd (2x150mg).

When will you switch over to sertraline? It might be possible to swap meds without taper - ie directly to 50mg sertraline from your current dose of paroxetine.

Good luck.

PartyTime
14-10-14, 18:40
Sorry I haven't checked in for a while.
Thanks to all the lovely people who have offered me advice.
I'm now on 450mg per day.
I now have more good days than bad. I actually feel myself for the first time in months.
I'm not getting complacent. I'm not out of the woods yet. Yet to return to work
I'm determined to not let this (depression and anxiety) strike me down again. I can do this with the help of meds. and taking more helpful control of my thoughts.

In summary, to date, this drug has helped me. I'm sure of that.

Best wishes to all fellow travellers!:bighug1:

hanshan
15-10-14, 02:17
That's great news that you are feeling more yourself and having more good days than bad. My very best wishes for your continued recovery.

PartyTime
02-12-14, 22:50
Hooray!
I've crashed badly and in a mess. If any mods. see this and wish to direct it to somewhere more appropriate, please do.

Basically, through my GP, with consultation with NHS psychiatrist
-Established pregabalin at 3 * 150 per day (this continues)
-Continued with 30mg seroxat for a couple of weeks Been on this for years - too many to remember. It failed on me during a very stressful period at work ( departmental restructure and overwhelming caseload plus management responsibilities)
-Reduced seroxat to 20mg for a couple of weeks
- Then switched to sertraline ( cold turkeying on the seroxat, (despite my questioning), @50 mg for two weeks, increased to 100mg for 4 weeks and now , after a particular tearful visit to my GP with my wife,today, increased the sertraline to 150mg.

Felt 'fine' for say four weeks ( a few days of feeling the old me) after the cold turkey. No withdrawal symptoms at all.

And now:weep::scared15: No real benefit from sertraline but I think we all may know why

As I said, the seroxat pooped out on me, but....I think I know,I've been pushed down the wrong path. These are delayed withdrawals from seroxat. The sertraline will not do anything to combat this.

I have an Occupational Health telephone interview tomorrow but can barely speak.

I look at my wife and kids and feel so horribly deficient, useless and the rest. I fear I'm going to lose my job, our house and down the spiral my thinking goes to a life of loneliness in a supported bedsit. I was actually making some progress with mindfulness and some hypnotherapy. I'm waiting for CBT appt. but if that was right now, it would be lost on me

Is this just 'a blip' on the roller coaster Meddygoround

Christmas is looking like it's going to be a real hoot

KK77
03-12-14, 14:30
Sorry to hear this PartyTime. I have feeling this will pass. I had delayed withdrawals when I came off Seroxat too and there is only two options: either go back on the drug or battle through. Sertraline should be working by now but understand your concerns re Seroxat. It's a tough choice but I hope things improve for you on the higher dose.

PartyTime
03-12-14, 15:07
KK
thanks for your response
i nearly PMd you, as I noticed that you had followed a very similar path.
There's not a lot you can say , other than what you have.
perhaps I should tough it out and stay away from the forums, esp. paxil progress etc. I'd get lynched if I posted my regime on there!
I realise we are all different but when did your delayed withdrawals kick in and how long did they last?
I have had zero Brain Zaps (had these before on withdrawal so I am familiar) but I feel very agitated, tearful and depressed.
I'm now thinking that I'd be in for sertraline withdrawals too, if I go back on seroxat.
No guaranteed answers, I know but I'd willingly take a couple of weeks of this hell if I could guarantee light at the end
What a mess!

SarahH
04-12-14, 10:43
Hi Partytime, so sorry to hear you are going through such a rough patch. Is it possible to take some Valium whilst you are in the stabilization period. Its perfectly Ok to take with Pregabalin and Sertraline...I do.

Hang in there

Sarah

PartyTime
04-12-14, 18:40
Thanks for the tips Sarah.

Not counting my chickens, but had a better day today. I need to bear that in mind should it happen again.

I can cope with anxiety to a degree - it's the black dog barking again that worries me.A horrible dark, heavy weight, that no breathing exercises / CBT can touch.

Or perhaps it is just the anxiety buzzing?