PDA

View Full Version : Hello - new to this site-Ongoing Anxiety

Mrs Panic
12-09-14, 11:11
I have viewed this site several times over the last few months and have always found it very informattive I have been suffering from ongoing anxiety for several years but last year had my first real panic attack! Since then I have taken time off work, been back and forth to the GPs and have been given several different types of anti-depressants, each giving me bad side effects after only a few days.

I cannot seem to get myself out of this loop of anxious thinking, so much so that i am currently off work with it. I am currently taking fluoxetine and after 3 days woke up this morning feeling absolutely terrible, twitching legs, strange thoughts and a racing heart! I can't ring the doctor again, i am sure he is getting fed up with me. My partner does not really understand why I am feeling this way. Do I stick with this medication, the doctor says I do not give it enough time to work before I stop it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Baggs
12-09-14, 15:14
I don't have any advice, just a welcome to NMP. I wish you all the best.

hopey
13-09-14, 16:55
Hello Mrs Panic. I probably am not much help but I was on antidepressants 5 in all I did take each for quite a time. However I have come off them all now. Not doing too good... But the panic attacks are very upsetting. I do hope you get some good advice to help you on this site. Hopey

Seamus Ireland
14-09-14, 01:48
Hi Mrs Panic,

Please dont worry about calling your Doctor they get well enough paid for doing their job. Antidepressants normally do take a minimum of 14 days until your body gets used to them and begin to work. I understand how scary a racing heart can be however it is extremely unlikely to cause you any serious physical harm. If your really finding Fluoxetine (Prozac) side effects to much to handle speak to your GP about Mirtazapine, you should experience less side effects and also sleep alot easier. You should also ask to be referred to a CBT Therapist to help you understand how your body reacts to thoughts & stress, CBT will also teach you strategies and methods for controlling your thoughts and facing your fears.

Hope I have helped a little :yesyes:

Clement
14-09-14, 13:21
Hi Mrs Panic... No advise either really but welcome to my world ! I sooo know that twitchy leg feeling. And that thought that the doctor is going to roll his eyes if you call one more time... All I can do is try to distract my thoughts and breath... Whatever works..it can be so overwhelming and come from nowhere... Not much help I know, but can empathise with you .xx

venusbluejeans
14-09-14, 13:53
Hiya and welcome to NMP:welcome:

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Hearty
16-09-14, 08:49
Do not worry, take take the Antidepressants. They can not help you within the first days but after a month or two you will be great. You have to work also on your own for the positive thinking. This is something that can be cured without pills but we have to work on it.

Simmons
22-09-14, 14:59
Hello to you as well! :))