PDA

View Full Version : Recovery from the depths

up a ladder
13-09-14, 08:40
Hi.
In 1996 (I was 28) I had what I thought was my first full blown panic attack. It was the first one that I actually saw as a Panic attack, but in the years since then I realise that I probably had had a few through my youth.
I spent the next 4 years pretty much inside a major depression that had me extremely close to self harm. At one point I was on Lithium and a huge dose of Amatryptaline.
Throughout this period I maintained a pretty good job and on many days found myself panicking just getting to work and the thoughts of meetings (especially ones that I had to stay away for a few days) were just pure hell.

I then went to a CBT course in Oxford and this I believe was my main road to recovery. Along with that and the birth of my first daughter, things started to get better.

I do slip in every year or so to a minor state of anxiety and or depression, but despite how they feel at the time "Here I go again" "I cant cope this time" etc, etc. They do pass quite quickly.

I suppose what I am saying is that despite how low you feel, I honestly believe we can all reach a place where life is bearable and indeed enjoyable. You may have times where it comes back and bites you, but these in my experience are short lived transient episodes. The hardest part I find is reminding yourself of the good times as your depressed/anxious brain has a fantastic ability to discount the good times or even normal times. If you keep a diary, this can be a great help.
I really cant emphasize enough how important it is for you to be able to remind yourself of the normal/good days
Sharing it with people is also a massive help and these days the world is far more understanding than it was even 10 years ago.

The other thing I always notice is that the people who suffer and panic are some of the more caring people out there

I wish everyone good progress

Moley
13-09-14, 14:56
welldone on getting better and showing us there is hope

swgrl09
13-09-14, 14:59
I agree so much with trying to remember that you do and have had good days; that things are not always as awful as they are at the moment and will not always be this way. I actually went through and looked at my old facebook posts recently from past years and was pleasantly surprised at all the good things I saw. It helped a little and motivated me to get back to the way my life used to be.

Really well done and glad you have made so much progress.

flossie
20-09-14, 10:05
Thank you for your inspirational words. :flowers:

Tessar
21-09-14, 13:39
Hi "up a ladder" your post is really good to read.
In many respects your situation mirrors mine. Like you I still have ups and downs and indeed it was CBT that helped me turn my life around.

I agree with wholeheartedly your statement:

"despite how low you feel, I honestly believe we can all reach a place where life is bearable and indeed enjoyable. You may have times where it comes back and bites you, but these in my experience are short lived transient episodes. The hardest part I find is reminding yourself of the good times as your depressed/anxious brain has a fantastic ability to discount the good times or even normal times. If you keep a diary, this can be a great help.
I really cant emphasize enough how important it is for you to be able to remind yourself of the normal/good days"

And definitely ...... "Sharing it with people is also a massive help and these days the world is far more understanding than it was even 10 years ago." My good friends all seem to either relate to my issues or are able to empathise.

If this site & my friends are anything to go by you are also spot on in saying
"people who suffer and panic are some of the more caring people out there".

I also hope you are able to continue with your good progress and really appreciate you taking time to come back here and share.

caroline-j
21-09-14, 14:38
Your se. xell dono right David. To think positive really makes a huge difference. W

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

soz David it was meant to read your so right.

Peter2
29-09-14, 09:52
Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to hear a positive outcome from someone who's been in the seemingly unrecoverable depths.