PDA

View Full Version : Long avo at hospital, moment of bliss then panic. Bowel fear is back.

puzzledlass
14-09-14, 03:38
So I was at work yesterday afternoon and my head got progressively worse, bad enough for me to not be able to concentrate or stay at work. My friend ended up taking me to hospital where there was a long wait. I saw a few nurses, had blood tests and eventually saw a doctor.

I explained what was going on and she did all these tests on me, checking reflexes, seeing if I could do certain things, touch my nose with eyes closed, testing vision etc. She then asked me what I was afraid of. I looked at my friend cause I was gonna cry and my friend told her brain tumour. She then said that headaches are very rarely a sign of brain tumour.

She then asked me what my stomach had been like, I explained that it all over the place and I may have ibs. She asked me if I had blood in poos and I said I did awhile ago and doc sent me for stool test and it came back ok. She then asked if my tummy ranged from diahhreha to constipation and I said it ranged from normal to loose. She then brought up inflammatory bowel disease but said that if I had that it wouldn't be normal ever.

My blood results came back fine. I asked her about bowel cancer and she said I was too young, unless I had a family history. Said I didn't have the symptoms.

I left the hospital feeling ok. Feeling relieved.

Then I got home, went toilet, wiped my bum and there was pink blood on toilet paper. Queue panic. Now I am convinced I have bowel cancer again.

I'm so exhausted.

puzzledlass
14-09-14, 07:52
Lots of views but no replies :(

chickpea
14-09-14, 09:04
If the stool samples and bloods came back fine, the blood on wiping is almost certainly down to a small tear or piles.

I have Crohn's and IBS. I am in remission for Crohn's but still get the odd blood on wiping.
When I had a Crohn's flare, I can assure you it was more than just a bit pink on wiping! :-)

You don't have bowel cancer, I'm certain.

puzzledlass
14-09-14, 10:08
The stool sample was awhile ago, march I think.

I'm more worried cause the doc was asking if I had blood and then I said not for awhile and I get home and I have it! I don't know what was in her mind when asking

AnnieMags
14-09-14, 12:19
Poor you, I know how exhausting it is churning a health anxiety round and round in your mind and always arriving at the same place - cancer.

It is my understanding that red/pink blood in stool is not a symptom of bowel cancer, but almost certainly from a small pile or tear in the rectum or anus. Blood from bowel cancer goes into the stool much higher up in the bowel and is not red or visible. The doctor would not have sent you away if she had had the slightest suspicion - your saying 'not for a while' would not have formed part of her diagnostic process, I assure you.

Blood on wiping is very very common - it happens to me quite frequently. I do have HA, but bowel cancer is not one of my fears, despite the blood.

Can you trust the doctor and let this one go now? I hope so.

Big hug to you from Annie

puzzledlass
14-09-14, 12:37
When my GP told me not to worry, after a while I didn't! This time is harder cause hopsital doc mentioned it when I was there and I said not for awhile... I come home and bam!

AnnieMags
14-09-14, 13:00
It is just your anxiety running away with you - the five-minute relief before returning to what-if scenarios in horrible, I know - probably everyone on this forum has been there.

Let's focus on your bowel test in March instead - that was clear, which means you do not have bowel cancer. In the UK, over 60s are offered BC screening every two years, which is considered a safe interval. A clear result six months ago means you are fine. :hugs:

Nathan92
14-09-14, 14:36
pink as in fresh blood - like when u prick your finger - if this is the colour - I've had it before, went to the docs about it even phone the 24 medical helpline here in the uk (NHS 111)? no idea why its called that but yeah... I was told if it's pink / red like when you prick your finger or have a nose bleed, then theres nothing to worry about. You've either strained too hard, your poo has been sharp (maybe undigested seeds), you've wiped your self too hard (or been too often and irritated the skin) or you have piles (haemorrhoids).

if it was anything bad, it would be black and sticky poo (means upper GI bleed, a bleed higher up in your intestines, or a purply red (google west ham united kit) I was told those colours in a poo / wiping is when to be worried, but fresh blood is piles/wiping too hard or a fissure (the cut in your butt)

:) you'll be fine honest

Cags48
14-09-14, 15:06
I have really thin poops worrying sick about it

Fishmanpa
14-09-14, 15:24
Ahhh PLass, PLass, PLass....

Around and around you go. When you'll accept you have HA and finally start treating it nobody knows :shrug:

The doctor shot down your brain tumor fears and I assure you she picked up on your anxiety as she specifically started asked you questions concerning irritable bowel symptoms of which you have those symptoms and probably have. In so many words she diagnosed you with anxiety and sent you on your way PLass. Was it a coincidence you had some blood in your stool when you got home? Well, you just spent several hours stressing out in a hospital thinking you had a brain tumor so...

You're physically fine. No tumors, cancer or any other medical issues other than the physical ramifications of anxiety. You've not been able to see the forest for the trees for a long time now. It's time to take off the blinders and speak to your GP about getting help with your anxiety.

Positive thoughts