PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalization/Derealization

Uk_horsegal
27-12-06, 18:59
hey I'm new here,
I have been suffering from the above symptoms for quite a few years now, and 3 years ago I had one very bad spell where I couldnt get out of bed for a week (I was being bullied at school and had 7 horses to look after so I guess thats the main reason)

It seems that not a day goes by where I feel "normal" even though the doctors told me it may be hormonal and I am now on the pill, I find the Panic is easing but the symptoms are still there. I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same and if anyone had any tips for coping / easing the symptoms
ta x

angiebaby
27-12-06, 19:25
Hi there, welcome to the site, you will lots of feedback from this brilliant place and everyone is really friendly. Anyway, i have been living with unreality and all the rest of it for two years now. I know exactly what your going through and know how very horrible and frightening it is. I would love to know how to get rid of it, but as yet i'm still trying. It has got a little better with time but it still scares me the same. Some days i have it a lot where i used to have it ALL the time so i suppose that is an improvement so to speak. I just feel like i don't know where i am, who i am, what i'm doing or who my family are, it's horrible to look at your own children and not really recognize them. Really scary!! Went to the shop today and when i got out of the car with my family i just wanted to scream, couldn't even believe that I WAS WALKING!! Sometimes even too scared to get out of the chair to go to the loo, don't know why, but i am. Angie.x

It takes a minute to get anxiety, but a lifetime to get rid of it!!!

feels_like_home
27-12-06, 21:55
Hi Uk_horsegal and Angiebaby,
I have had these symptoms as well for a few years. I have good days and bad days. At the beginning it was constant. Now I get a break in between. It is still as scary as when I first started to feel this way. Knowing what iit is has helped a little. I am now able to rationalize these feelings. Once I have rationalized that I am not going crazy and that it is just my brain taking a break from the anxiety I distract myself. I watch tv, read and come on here. My psychologist taught me these steps and also recommended that when I feel unreal to do something physical that requires me to use my body. She said that will bring you out of your mind and back into your body. I find workingout helps me when I feel lthis way. I just have to get motivated some days. I still get these symptom, but these techniques have helped a lot. I hope this helps.
Take care,
Michelle

angiebaby
27-12-06, 23:58
Thankyou for your reassurrance, although i am still very angry to think that this might never go and i will not be the same person that i used to be because that is what i want more than anything. I will try my best to combat this but it is very difficult. It is such a very hard feeling to describe to people if they have never had this isn't it? Thankyou again, Angie.x

It takes a minute to get anxiety, but a lifetime to get rid of it!!!

Alexocelix
01-01-07, 10:17
AngieBaby, I too feel the same. Your's was a very good description, sometimes I just feel like I can't remember who I am or what I'm doing, and it's very scary. Particularly in the mornings if I've had a nightmare, there have been times where I have woke up completely dazed. I know its normal to be dazed when your tired, but waking up wondering who you are and whats happening to you is really scary.
Unfortunately I don't have any advice, being motivated to keep doing things and getting on with life seems to be the best way.