PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive guilt linked to ocd

Pinguanxious
16-09-14, 06:49
Morning all

For all my life I have suffered with some form of ocd, whether it be checking plug sockets or ROCD
However one that has always bothered me is my guilt. I find that I feel an excessive amount of guilt over past mistakes, I know it must be linked to ocd cos I can have years where I think about these mistakes and it to not overly bother me, however when I am worse these mistakes seem to consume my life, make me feel guilty for hurting my partner, then makes me worry I don't really love him, then I think about everything that happened in the past and think about what could have gone differently.viewing mistakes as mistakes on it's own is not a bad thing, but I feel consumed by it. It's in the back of my mind literally 24/7 and I even have panic attacks when I wake up because of it! I am on 40mg of citalopram and I am starting my first cbt course tommorow. I just wondered If anyone can relate?
Do to guys think it really is my ocd or do you think my guilt is trying to tell me something?
Please help me !!

Hearty
16-09-14, 09:09
Just now the fact that your guilt is an exaggeration of what really happened and look for the future. You are now catastrophising. People do mistakes every day. It is a part of you but do not let this distract from your future. When you get better you will see the real picture. Now just concentrate on you being well.

Pinguanxious
16-09-14, 11:25
Thankyou for your response, have you got any specific coping mechanisms you find useful?

DoubtfulDarling
16-09-14, 14:58
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this.

OCD, as we all know plays out our WORST fears. It's proven. What I will say and I will stress is that with OCD, we know that the thoughts aren't real. They are not a direct reflection of who you are.

CBT is a HUGE help and is what effectively conquered my OCD. Don't get me wrong, I have my days where it'll come back but I remember what I was taught.

Be patient, I know it's hard but remember, it's like a horror film. It exaggerates who you THINK you are. You are NOT your thoughts. They are merely a chemical imbalance in your brain and the less you exaggerate them or give them the attention they crave, they decrease and so will the anxiety. It's almost as if OCD is like a naughty toddler.

Try and laugh, laughter I find is the best medicine. Humour and comedy helped me. And remember, nothing's easy but I PROMISE you, it'll be okay.

Fellow OCD suffer and repaired worrier,
DD

allalone
26-09-14, 10:26
This sounds just like me so I can totally relate. Pleasw message me if you want to chat.xx

lhappylife
28-09-14, 00:04
OCD is horrible and can certainly try to control your life. Take back control and tell it where to go. Of course this is easier said than done. Please try to relax and breathe through any episodes. I do find that tea helps me (tulsi) and it might help you too. :)

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

Very true and yes, everyone makes mistakes. Some people get over these mistakes quicker than others. Strange, but true.
:)

Girl18
12-06-15, 20:09
Morning all

For all my life I have suffered with some form of ocd, whether it be checking plug sockets or ROCD
However one that has always bothered me is my guilt. I find that I feel an excessive amount of guilt over past mistakes, I know it must be linked to ocd cos I can have years where I think about these mistakes and it to not overly bother me, however when I am worse these mistakes seem to consume my life, make me feel guilty for hurting my partner, then makes me worry I don't really love him, then I think about everything that happened in the past and think about what could have gone differently.viewing mistakes as mistakes on it's own is not a bad thing, but I feel consumed by it. It's in the back of my mind literally 24/7 and I even have panic attacks when I wake up because of it! I am on 40mg of citalopram and I am starting my first cbt course tommorow. I just wondered If anyone can relate?
Do to guys think it really is my ocd or do you think my guilt is trying to tell me something?
Please help me !!

I currently am dealing with this. It's like I could have written this myself. How are you doing? It's consuming my life and I just cry and cry and feel horrible. I also notice I check on my feelings constantly wondering if I feel different and when I don't get the answer I want I freak out and panic. It's a constant loop and it's disrupting my life.

MyNameIsTerry
13-06-15, 11:18
I currently am dealing with this. It's like I could have written this myself. How are you doing? It's consuming my life and I just cry and cry and feel horrible. I also notice I check on my feelings constantly wondering if I feel different and when I don't get the answer I want I freak out and panic. It's a constant loop and it's disrupting my life.

Pingu started this long running support thread after this one which will show you how much she has improved:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=160638