PDA

View Full Version : Issue with breaks at work

GirlAfraid23
18-09-14, 16:44
Hello everyone.
I have started doing a few extra hours at work which means I work from 7:45-3:20 Monday to Friday.
Originally, while doing these hours I was having a break at 10:50-11:20 and then a lunch break at 13:20-13:50 which was working very well.
They've now spoken to me and told me my first break must be taken at 9-9:15 and my "lunch break" at 10:50-11:20. I then have to work through until 3:20 without any more break.
Does this sound unfair to you? I don't particularly want to have my lunch at 11am. It doesn't seem right somehow.
I was going to ask my manager tomorrow if I could swap the 15 minutes in the morning for 15 minutes in the afternoon instead. Do you think this sounds unreasonable?

Moley
18-09-14, 16:50
Wont hurt to ask. But from a legal regulation point of view you only have to have a break after 6 hours of working so working 11.20 til 3.20 is only 4 hours so it is legal.
Sorry to not have better news for you. but if you explain to them that it makes things easier for you and will be better for your work then definitely worth asking.

nomorepanic
18-09-14, 17:06
I wouldn't want to eat lunch that early either.

It is probably legal to do but not in the good spirit of things really.

GirlAfraid23
18-09-14, 17:15
I wouldn't want to eat lunch that early either.

It is probably legal to do but not in the good spirit of things really.

No I don't think so either, they're only doing it because it's the most convenient to them.
By the time I get home I'm going to be starving :( I get really anxious about eating at the correct times and it's making me very stressed out. I hate routine changes too.

.Poppy.
19-09-14, 12:04
No I don't think so either, they're only doing it because it's the most convenient to them.
By the time I get home I'm going to be starving :( I get really anxious about eating at the correct times and it's making me very stressed out. I hate routine changes too.

Maybe you could tell them that you need to have a bite to eat in the afternoon, either as a full-on break or while you're working.

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-14, 01:53
Thats an angle you can use then. Tell them about the situation and then they need to consider whether they need to be flexible to prevent you feeling that way, under duty of care.

Is there a reason for the inflexibility? Is it a job where there must be cover at all times e.g. call centre?

It just seems that they are bringing your day forward which would normally be a reasonable action unless it causes any problems with you in which case they need to assess whether its worth risking.

Going on Moley's description of the law in this matter, you have 6 hours before needing a break so you could argue that there is no reason to take those breaks quite so early.

swgrl09
20-09-14, 02:09
Are you able to bring a snack or anything? not sure what type of work you do, but that's how I get through the 5 hours I have after lunch.

Rennie1989
20-09-14, 11:35
You could ask, but sometimes breaks have to be taken to suit the business, rather than the person. Four hours without a break is not breaking any laws, directives or policies.

nomorepanic
20-09-14, 12:34
I think she works in a school

MyNameIsTerry
21-09-14, 02:25
Ah, so breaks with be determined by the breaks children take if she is involved in dealing with them as a teacher, assistant or a similiar role.

I guess it depends on whether they are being inflexible now but have not been inflexible in the past with the previous times.

There is also the case for discrimination so if other employees are being given better break times that they have negotiated, she can pursue it along those lines.

GirlAfraid23
22-09-14, 19:24
Yes I do work in a school.
I managed to negotiate 10 minutes in the afternoon.

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-14, 04:22
Good work!