PDA

View Full Version : Keep preempting my house is going to blow up

Shivmarie
18-09-14, 20:14
I keep imagining my house exploding, picturing it in my head. Sitting watching TV then bang. Even being in someone else's house all day I've been having this same feeling.

I had had 4 nights no sleep and I can't shake his explosion feeling.

MyNameIsTerry
19-09-14, 03:23
It sounds like an intrusive thought.

Try and rationalise this by using statements and reading them back e.g. "My house is safe, I am safe, my family is safe and nothing is going to cause my house exploding".

Also, one of the big issues with intrusive thoughts is how you react. If you react with emotion, the subconscious sees this and starts to link the two over time and it gets stronger. React with statements like this and try to remain calm to prevent this.

I would also suggest Mindfulness meditation as it teaches you not to respond to intrusive thoughts and I found I had less of them and the ones I did get would just float by much quicker without triggering anxiety.

Shivmarie
19-09-14, 10:21
Thank you Terry,
I'm trying to use those techniques.
It's such a bizarre thought which I've never had before. X

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-14, 03:26
Glad it helps.

There are a load of worksheets for doing it on here:

http://psychology.tools/download-therapy-worksheets.html

Look at ones like Thought Records and Cognitive Restructing as these help challenge intrusive thoughts.

Anxiety is sneaky, it finds a possible weakspot and gives it a good prodding! I've found my anxiety disorder changing over the 8 years and some new forms of OCD came. Others have said the same in threads on this board.

Shivmarie
23-09-14, 13:51
I'm really struggling at the minute, still have that feeling and just general brain fog and fuzzy feeling. X