PDA

View Full Version : Coping Tips for Health Anxiety

Cambrian49
19-09-14, 11:33
Apart from breathing techniques and trying to rationalise thoughts do any of u guys have novel or different techniques to help keep horrible anxious health related thoughts at bay?
A friend of mine told me to wear an elastic mans around my wrist and snap it each time I have a negative thought and then get up and do something else.
:roflmao:

Taffy
19-09-14, 11:42
The biggest piece of advice I can offer is.....DO NOT GOOGLE YOUR SYMPTOMS!

cpe1978
19-09-14, 11:48
Cambrian, rather than write it again I will bump a post I wrote a little while ago. Have a read - it is quite long :)

Cambrian49
19-09-14, 12:43
The biggest piece of advice I can offer is.....DO NOT GOOGLE YOUR SYMPTOMS!

Lol - I'm a taffy too. Big fan of Sam Tan ( in ur pic!) I'm terrible for googling. I'm really trying not too. Was hoping somebody would say they have a magic laser that gets rid of crazy thoughts - like in Men in Black ;)

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Thanks cpe1978 x

swgrl09
20-09-14, 01:34
Let's see ...

- Don't google
- Don't poke/prod/scan for symptoms
- If you feel like you will, distract yourself or talk to somebody
- Find out what triggers you to poke/prod/scan/google. Keep a chart or journal and write down what you are doing, how you feel, where you are, etc each time you do it or want to do it. For example, I know when I am home alone I am more likely to search for symptoms so I am trying to make sure I am busy when my husband is away. If I can't avoid being alone, I try to be ready for the urges because I know they will come and just accept them while not giving in.
- Once you know your triggers, do things proactively to avoid using negative coping skills (aka poking/prodding/scanning/googling) and use positive skills instead.
- Go outside and get some sun
- Get some exercise
- Call a friend to talk about anything
- Play a game
- Watch a good TV show
- Try something new like cooking a new recipe

Oh I could go on ... The hard part for me is making sure I actually use the positive skills and don't give in to the negative!

RaverNeko
21-09-14, 06:31
Pretty much what everyone on here said. It's basically the same thing that helps me:
1) Don't Google
2) Do some exercise
3) Go out with friends
4) Do CBT
5) Find something to distract you