PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a day 2 day Viibryd (antidepressant) journal.

hardy har har
19-09-14, 20:32
RESULT

- This drug is significant ! I have not responded or tolerated any meds i`ve taken
over the past 25 yrs except Nardil (phenelzine) early on in my illness.
- Had I titrated up to 20mg of Viibryd and continued 20mg for two weeks instead of moving to 40mg after one week at 20mg, it would have been a total of three weeks with only fleeting and minimal side effects until my fear(GAD) and depression disappeared. October 13 2014

BACKGROUND
I am a 59 yr old man who has been chronically depressed, treatment resistant, for over the last 10 yrs.
Before this all antidepressants with the exception of Nardil had not worked for me. I was maintained on Nardil
for about 16 yrs until it had no effect at all. Nothing since did anything but make me worse.
Viibryd, for those who haven`t heard of it, is a restively new, atypical, serotonergic antidepressant unrelated to the anti-psychotic add-ons class.

i wanted to share my day by day experience with those of you who also suffer and are looking for something different to try.

First Week 10mg
Day #1 laxative like side-effect a few hrs in after dose.
Day #2 no side-effects.
Day #3 mild headache, minor faintness/lightheaded/nausea. (possible mild constipation starting.)
Day #4 vomited twice this evening, maybe more likely due to the Vicodin i`m on today holding my toothache pain at bay till the dentist visit tomorrow.
Day #5 constipation from either Vicodin or Viibryd. Mood is stable, worry seems less then usual.
Can`t be sure drug is responsible for stable mood. Day #8 will be 20mg...we`ll see then.
Day #6 no change
Day #7 no change

Second Week 20mg

Day #8 mild diarrhea, (no big deal). Started feeling depressed/hopeless. Slept all day. ( My typical symptoms.)
Day #9 same as day #8 Woke up with my typical 'gloom and doom' thinking of dying thoughts.
Day #10 same as day #9 w/fatigue, tired, disconnection from life, sleeping most of the day. (Just feeling like crap.) G.I. symptoms.
Day #11 the diarrhea/G.I. side effects have gone. I still feel like day #10.

Day #12 Today a few hours after dosing I am feeling somewhat better instead of worse. Not normal, but better then I would expect. I feel like doing something other then just lying in bed with the TV. I feel hope where there was only hopelessness. I can sense the smells in the Autumn air. It`s still too soon to tell if this is a fluke or something good coming on. I`ll write further if things improve later on.

Day #13 woke up feeling really rotten and irritable. Was planning to cancel my psychologist appointment due to this, but oddly after a few hours after dosing a 20mg tablet I began feeling more like myself. I did make my appointment with no problems. I still can`t say I feel like i`m responding to the antidepressant...it`s too vague yet.
Day #14 was able to accomplish a few tasks which would have been out of the question in my typically depressed state. My mood is about what it was on day #13.

Third Week 40mg

Day #15 nothing to report today.
Day #16 - #20 Started feeling worse. My mood is poor and i`m feeling very afraid of possible negative outcomes to situations in my life. SSRI drugs usually do this to me at some point...make my depressive symptoms worse. I`m going back to 20mg per day but dose at bedtime. I don`t have the liberty at this time to feel bad and dysfunctional.

Break in 40mg week to return to 20mg.
Day #21 cut back from 40mg to 20mg today. I`m still feeling the effects of the 40mg week.
Day #22 2nd day @ 20mg and i`m feeling much better then before. I believe the drug may be stabilizing my mood. Stress seems to have less ability to set me on a downward decent. (more on this effect later.)

DEPRESSION IN REMITTANCE !!! @20MG

I am tolerating 20mg well with no noticeable side effects.
My mood is balanced and stable.
I have had stressors which would surely have taken me into a fearful depressive lapse,
although the medication has surely prevented this from happening. :)
I am not hypo-manic...not even a little, since I know what that feels like.
My mood feels only briefly affected by any new stressor which comes in my life, and I have
enough stability to easily press on now.

Since I did not tolerate the 40mg dose, I came back to 20mg. I feel I could still
benefit from a higher dose, so I plan to add 5mg doses later on and see what happens.
(i`ll post back with those results)
Until then, I will not post until the med peters out or I report on the dose increase.

- This drug is significant ! I have not responded/tolerated any and all meds i`ve taken
over the past 25 yrs except Nardil (phenelzine) early on in my illness.
- Had I titrated up to 20mg of Viibryd and continued 20mg for two weeks instead of moving to 40mg after one week, it would have been a total of three weeks with only fleeting and minimal side effects until my fear and depression disappeared.

Anyone been maintained on Viibryd into 6 months or more?

(for moderate chronic depression and mixed GAD.)

hardy har har
29-09-14, 17:12
bump

venusbluejeans
29-09-14, 17:56
I have never heard of the med, sorry....... but I thought I would just say good luck and I hope you find someone who has

yenool
29-09-14, 21:33
I'm not sure this medication is available in the UK and given the site has a lot of UK members there may not be anyone who has tried it. Most antidepressants do take a good few weeks to 'kick in' though, so hang in there. :)

hardy har har
30-09-14, 02:05
I'm not sure this medication is available in the UK and given the site has a lot of UK members there may not be anyone who has tried it. Most antidepressants do take a good few weeks to 'kick in' though, so hang in there. :)

Thanks for pointing that out yenool, your right.
I just assumed it was also in Europe. Searching NMP, I did find some Viibryd/Vilazodone mentions...but just a few.

I`ll continue the log just the same for what it`s worth.BTW, studies and anecdotal accounts show statistically significant improvement between 1 - 2 weeks !

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

I have never heard of the med, sorry....... but I thought I would just say good luck and I hope you find someone who has

Thanks for the thumbs up venusbluejeans (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=35985).
I now know why you have never heard of it. :blush: