View Full Version : Help? Really fed up with anxiety!

DavidM95
21-09-14, 19:46
Well, after browsing this site for a while I decided to make an account.

I'm a 19 year old university student starting second year next week. Academically, I'm doing brilliantly. Mentally, I'm going crazy.

My anxiety kicked off in December 2013 and it hasn't stopped since. I'm on 3mg citalopram (increased from 20mg just under two weeks ago). I've had anxiety symptoms a lot (palpitations, sweating, worried thoughts etc) but right now I'm quite bad.

Two worries mainly...

1. I've had a dull pain around my eye for the past few days that won't go away with painkillers. I went to out of hours in the hospital last night and the doctor couldn't see anything wrong and suggested a trip to the optician tomorrow because pressure behind the eye might be causing it... CUE BRAIN TUMOUR ANXIETY! Now I'm really worried to go incase I find out something bad...

2. I love university. My work is an escape for me and I love my course. But my social life isn't the best.. A lot of people have bullied me because of my anxiety and I feel I have no-one. My partner doesn't even understand it at times and doesn't offer much support. But I'm really afraid of staying on my own at night... I can't do it. And there will be times when I'll be in my flat on my own at night and I don't know how I'll do it!

Whenever I'm out and about my heart races and I get a funny sensation in my legs as if they can't hold me.. I can't really describe it. I also feel my walking is weird at times. As if I can't walk straight or something. I'm really worried.

I just need something to help. Is this anxiety or something else?

Sorry for the annoyance... But I just want my normal life back.

Baggs
21-09-14, 19:52
Welcome to NMP, I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

trish1955
21-09-14, 20:08
Anxiety and welcome xxxxxxx

Carnation
21-09-14, 20:20
DavidM95, Well Done you for taking the plunge and joining. You will make lots of friends on here and hopefully you will get all the help you need to. :welcome:

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Sorry, forgot to say that your description sounds just like Anxiety.

Lucinda07
22-09-14, 19:57
Listening to music/the radio will help when you stay alone at night & there is always the NMP Forum. Perhaps theres a hobby you could take up which would help distract yourself from the anxiety. Some people do jigsaws/puzzles to take their mind off things.

DavidM95
22-09-14, 20:01
Listening to music/the radio will help when you stay alone at night & there is always the NMP Forum. Perhaps theres a hobby you could take up which would help distract yourself from the anxiety. Some people do jigsaws/puzzles to take their mind off things.

I read that the radio is good to listen to when alone as it's more personal than the tv! I'm starting the gym next week too so hoping that the exercise will help me mentally. I'm spending Thursday night on my own... I've decided to do this of my own accord. I NEED to tackle this! So fingers crossed...

Thanks for the welcomes guys :)

Carnation
23-09-14, 01:51
I have the radio on most of the time. It is great company and it keeps you up to date with what is going on the world. I also use to put a CD on when I went to bed, as the silence in the room made me so anxious; it helped me Big-time. Walking and gentle exercise is very good for Anxiety and I when I got my worst Anxiety symptoms in the evening, we would get a board game out to play while watching TV. I found just watching the TV on it's own would leave my Mind to wander. Doing two things, stopped me from panicking. Going outside at night and just looking at the stars can also be quite relaxing; especially with nice hot cup of tea. :)