PDA

View Full Version : Mind fudge/memory issues

Herman
22-09-14, 16:20
Hi all,

Does anybody else have a real problem with Anxiety effecting their memory, as well as the clarity of their thoughts?

Sounds odd I know, but when I am feeling anxious, my mind seems to either go completely blank, or it races. I call it brain fudge, and I seem to have no effective way to 'reset' my brain, and approach a problem with fresh, clear mind so to speak.

Does anybody have any hints or tips for this? I can try mindfulness, am in counselling, take medication (Fluoxetine) and I am working on CBT. I just want to know what else I can be doing to help this.

Thanks,

Herman

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-14, 02:25
Yeah, I've been having issues since my anxiety started. I found I couldn't place a face, complete a sentence at times and have an issue selecting a word even though I know why I want to use it. I had none of this before and always had a great memory.

There is another thread about this which is fairly recent that you may wish to read.

I think you are doing a lot to get better already. I would definately say go for Mindfulness because part of it is to use your senses & cognitive side to experience things such as food, walking, objects, etc. It will also allow you to still your mind.

I wonder if doing things that train the brain would help e.g. puzzles? These might be useful distractions anyway.

Herman
24-09-14, 15:12
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the suggestions, I am trying mindfulness at the moment, and it's difficult at first, but I'm sticking with it, and will continue to.

I tend to play FIFA on my iPhone a lot, but maybe a slightly more thoughtful, reflective game might be useful.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Herman