PDA

View Full Version : Doctor said I have swollen gland in neck? Re-booked for 3 weeks! Is this bad!?

ShaunRyder
23-09-14, 14:45
Hi, just got back from the doctors, have one side above my collar bone slightly raised since Sunday, she said it was a gland, she said come back in 2-3 weeks for a check up, she also said it was nothing to worry about as last week I had a slight(only slight) cold but apart from a red throat and funny nose I am fine , but if it wasn't anything too worry about then why re-book!? She said the back on my throat was slightly red.

I know there is something seirous wrong with me now, as she would not want me back in 3 weeks, by then whatever it is would have spread though! Can someone help me on what to do now? I clearly have something wrong and need to know what to do next!?!?

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Okay I just googeld this and it really does sound like cancer!

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

maybe it has already spread and now has got to my glands etc. Please somebody help me I am really scared and do not know what do, I am seriously ill, has anyone else had a swollen gland above collar bone and nothing serious? I wish I did not go today and wish I never checked google!! I am 10x worse than I was this morning

em79prez
23-09-14, 14:53
Hi
I replied on ur previous post that ive the same and ive had blood s xrays ct scan all normal
Drs normally know the lumps of concern. Also i doubt cancer would spread in 3wks
They can swell from even having tooth ache so it probably is from ur cold

ShaunRyder
23-09-14, 14:56
Hi thank you for the reply, yes I remember you posting :)

I think they whole ''re book for 3 weeks'' and my stupidtity to google has made me worse!

flossie
23-09-14, 14:59
If your GP thought, even a teeny bit of a thought, that you had cancer you would be at the hospital this week. She wants you to go back in a couple of weeks just to make sure it is clearing up nicely on its own. You know that Docs don't like to give out antibiotics without really needing to and she is just waiting to see if your own defence system can sort it out.
Remember to eat well and drink lots of water and I am sure you will be fine.

em79prez
23-09-14, 15:00
Ive some other largish nodes in my neck swelled after gum infection and they still up 3wks later.. can take time for them to go down
Google is dr death i dont look anymore as it has u dead and buried everything is worse case!

ShaunRyder
23-09-14, 15:02
Thank You flossie for the reply, it is just hard to convince myself that is the case, my anxiety is just telling me ''its cancer and it has spread'' maybe once I finish work I will calm down at home. But you saying about even if they had the tiniest thought they would send me this week, has made me feel a little better. :)

worryworryworry
23-09-14, 15:09
Just wanted to let you know that I had tonsillitis a lot in the past and my glands used to swell and go down after.....however after a minor cold last year they swelled up again except this time they didn't go down - had all the tests and everything looked into and eventually they shrunk after 9 months......sometimes they just go a bit shoddy after a while! don't worry yours will be fine!! x

ShaunRyder
23-09-14, 15:13
thank you worryworryworry, I do really hope so, just my anxiety has hit sky high since coming out of the doctors and just full of fear and thinking the worse.

Fishmanpa
23-09-14, 15:18
Well.... reassurance doesn't work because no matter what anyone says including medical professionals, you're gonna worry :shrug:

Best bet is just to follow through and don't Google. Doc isn't concerned and he's just doing his job. Tacking the real issue will prevent this from happening in the future.

BTW... I goggled feeling a bit queasy in the morning and I'm pregnant so that tells you what Dr. Google knows.

Positive thoughts

chickpea
23-09-14, 17:50
My son (8) was recently sent to hospital by a GP because he was really poorly and his heart was racing.
A chest x Ray showed he had a severe chest infection, so we were sent home with antibiotics and an appointment for 2 weeks later.

When we went to the follow up appointment, it transpired that when his chest x Ray had been read by a radiologist (after we'd left the hospital), it showed something unusual...So in the follow up appointment, he needed to have another x Ray.

My point is that the initial x Ray DID show something of concern BUT it was fine to be left for 2 weeks. And guess what? The next x Ray was all fine.:yesyes:

If there was anything that needed to be monitored sooner, your doctor would be seeing you sooner. Try not to panic.

ShaunRyder
24-09-14, 16:03
Haha congratulations Fishmanpa :D :roflmao:

I do believe my gland is due to infection as last night and today I have had non stop sneezing runny nose, aches and really cold.

But is it normal for the doc to want me to go back in three weeks just for an a infection? What if my gland is still up in three weeks? would that be bad?

AlexandriaUK
24-09-14, 18:03
Glands are like water butts they soak up infections and sometimes that's how the Dr knows you have maybe a mild infection like tonsillitis, tooth problem, ear infection etc, NOTHING serious or you would be off to the hospital now, three weeks your infection will be gone or they will put you on antibiotics, years ago they would have done that straight the way now they are more sercomspect in dishing them out so when you get some major infection in 20\30 years time they will work.
One thing that does amaze me is that some would sooner trust our judgement sooner than their Doctor, not pointing any fingers cause most of us have been there, mind you I would trust everyone on here more than Dr Google :yesyes:

robin321
24-09-14, 19:18
My son had a pretty big one, back of neck + a smaller one over his collar.

We had to go back, and finally got referred for an ultrasound. It all but disappeared by the ultrasound - which was 2 months after the appt. But it took awhile to go. It just shows that follow-up doesn't mean bad - it just means they are doing their job.

Cags48
24-09-14, 21:25
It's a swollen gland I reckon most of the population have had a swollen gland at some point . And if it was anything to worry about I don't think the GP would say come back in 3 wks

ShaunRyder
27-09-14, 12:06
Thanks for all the positive comments guys :)

one last questions, where i am worried about it I constantly feeling it, touching, poking it etc pretty much most of the day, could doing this slow the process of it going down? :shrug:

Fishmanpa
27-09-14, 13:21
Thanks for all the positive comments guys :)

one last questions, where i am worried about it I constantly feeling it, touching, poking it etc pretty much most of the day, could doing this slow the process of it going down? :shrug:

YES! Wear one of those cones they put on animals to keep you from poking and prodding if you have to! It definitely will slow down the healing if you constantly play with it.

Positive thoughts

ShaunRyder
28-09-14, 19:17
Thanks fishmanpa, how long do they normally take to go down as mine is still there? It feels quite soft and it feels like it moves slighty... is this normal?

Sorry for the questions, seem to be really anxious and worried about it today :(

Fishmanpa
28-09-14, 20:31
Thanks fishmanpa, how long do they normally take to go down as mine is still there? It feels quite soft and it feels like it moves slighty... is this normal?

Sorry for the questions, seem to be really anxious and worried about it today :(

Soft and movable is a good thing and it can take weeks or more to totally return to normal. That being said, keep poking at it and it may never return totally to normal.

Positive thoughts

ShaunRyder
29-09-14, 10:48
I felt it first thing this morning and it felt like i could barely feel it, I kept touching it again and next thing its come up :weep:

jackanory84
30-09-14, 10:59
I have a lump at the top of my neck/bottom of my head at the back left. It's hard and sore to touch, like a bruise sort of feeling. I'm thinking it's a gland and I have a GP appointment tomorrow for something else anyway so can raise it then; was just wondering if anyone had had anything similar?

Thanks

Lyns x