PDA

View Full Version : two years panic free and now its creeping back - stomach cancer fear

devonbevon
24-09-14, 09:57
So im proud to say ive had my health anxiety under control for about two years. Work has been a pressure cooker of late plus im a single mum to a 3 and 4 year old. Last few months ive felt a bit more anxious and then I started getting indigestion 3 weeks ago. Mum made a flippant comment that my great grandfather died of stomach cancer at 40 and my grandfather of the same at 68. Bang. Suddenly its all I can think about. Im 42 and never had indigestion before. My common sense tells me it started about same time I started a supposed gentle iron supplement but im spiralling and dont want to take this journey again....

Frankie123
25-09-14, 00:31
Try not to let this fear overtake you. With a family history such as yours you can ask your GP to refer you to a familial clinic where they can test you for specific genes. They will also possibly offer you regular check ups. My family have a history of ovarian cancer so, consequently, I get blood tests done every six months and have an annual transvaginal scan. Please go and see your GP and explain your fears before the health anxiety takes over your life again.

devonbevon
25-09-14, 06:50
Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if I was being silly to flag it with my doctor but I think I will.