PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do now - newbie

expedience
28-12-06, 22:53
Hiya, i am a newbie *waves*

I would appreciate some advice please. I have developed SA due to having rosacea for the last decade that meant every evening for around 8 months, i went bright red and stayed bright red which resulted in me becoming rather reclusive and pushing all my friends away.

It started at around 18 when i noticed that everytime i went out to a pub in the evening my face would burn up and stay red the entire night. Causing people to ask if i was ill and slowly i went from being very outgoing to thoroughly embarrassed and so avoided going out at all. This then escalated to the situation stated above and after seeing lots of doctors they basically said i had to live with it.

Fast forward 13 years and i am glad to say that an amazing laser doctor offered to treat me with the Gemini laser last year and after around 8 treatments i am now pain free, which is just fantastic. I do still flush up after work a little as i work outside and i notice i will still flush when im tired sometimes but otherwise i am now pretty much normal....however my brain has yet to readjust and i find i constantly turn down social engagement *incase* i go red.

My laser doc did write to my GP regarding CBT but i have heard nothing since and have been too embarrassed to follow it up. I find it really difficult to talk about as its had such a pervasively negative effect on my life meaning that anyone who tried to belittle my experience, saying i need to just pull myself together or similar, really has a bad effect on me. So i'm thinking of either paying for CBT privately or writing to my GP allowing me to get all the background crap out the way in the letter and asking for a referral.

Has anyone had a positive experience with therapy and SA? I really want to try and start living a fully normal life now with proper relationships and stuff!! Its shouldn't be such a crazy thought but right now it is.

Thanks for listening,

V x

expedience
28-12-06, 22:54
Sorry that should read 8 months of the year.

shoegal
02-01-07, 10:21
Hi. CBT is good because it helps you challenge negative thoughts and behaviour patterns that have set in. Can't you just phone your Doctor to ask what is happeneing regarding your appointment? I have seen a counsellor on the NHS but I had to wait about 18 months for the appointment. I have to say it was worth the wait as it did help me a bit.

Good luck, and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

Love shoegal xxx

ConfusedByLife
02-01-07, 16:04
CBT is a great help in SA, and unlike the medication which only masks the symptoms, CBT actually focuses at the heart of the issue (internal thoughts, feelings and behaviours) and so is well worth chasing after your doc about. Trouble with health service is it can take a long time to get seen and meanwhile you feel like crap. Maybe buy a self help book (I have ones which are great) and if possible see a private doc who will be more flexible to your needs than Health Service "One size fits all" anxiety programs. Don't be afraid to talk to ppl about it in the health service and you'll realise its a very common problem, not all doctors fully understand the psychological problems involved, but proper psycologists will be very helpfull as they have better understanding. CBT is a great help so any way you can will be of greathelp to you. GoodLuck!

bb01234
08-01-07, 10:58
if there was a time in your life before the redness, and then it started ( around 18 I believe you said ) then CBT or hypnotherapy or some of the other quicker methods could well help you.

Yes, the NHS is slow, there are praticitioners out there that could help.

regards

brian